Author Topic: Escalon 6 in 1  (Read 5970 times)

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Escalon 6 in 1
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 10:38:24 PM »
> Sorry if I was wrong about the escalon top of the line thing
I'm not sure which is top of the line

Nathan, I read that promo for eschalon before, but the bella rosa I had shipped from CA were sub par. Even the processing was lame.  They had a lot of peel and green core etc.  Honestly, they were terrible.

Let me point out also that most italian brands are plum tomatoes where the american ones seem to be round tomatoes. Plum win hands down in my book.

Try the Cento and let me know.  If you click onto my site I give sauce and prep instructions I use with the cento, if you are interested.

Jeff

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 03:26:50 AM »
Jeff,
Either you somehow got a bad case, or the 6 in 1 uses better quality tomatoes than the Bella Rosa. I guess it could be the same tomatoes, just processed better.  I was shocked to read how much you disliked the taste, though, so there might be something more to it.  I tried so many brands before I found Escalon, and they were so much better than anything else.  Crazy as it may seem, I think the Cento must be one of the only brands sold in my area that I didn't try!
I buy the ground, peeled 6 in 1, and I have never found a can with anything but pure red, juicy, yummy, chunky fruit inside.  Sometimes ground peeled tomatoes are too smooth for my taste, not these.  The 6 in 1 have what I consider to be the perfect consistency for pizza sauce, although unlike you I am only cooking at 550 so that could effect things.  I guess there could be a miniscule amount of peel in there that I have never noticed, but there has never been anything green, and no core has ever been in one of the cans I bought. I always do a thorough stir to add my (minimal) seasoning, plus I would see that nasty stuff when I am putting together the pies. I am working on my third case of them right now, so I have been through 14 of the huge #10 cans.  Having said all that, I must admit my favorite sauces are a combo of the Escalon, and San Marzano's.  I do look forward to trying the Cento, though, thanks for the tip.  It would be nice to find something I love that I can get right at my local market instead of begging the wholesalers to sell me one case at a time. 

Also Jeff, thanks for telling us about the Electrolux mixer.  I just pulled mine out of the box today.  It was probably a good thing that I blew up my Kitchen Aid!  I will be going to your website to follow your mixing regimen when the new Dlx 2000 sails its maiden voyage next week.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 07:57:00 AM »
> Sorry if I was wrong about the escalon top of the line thing
I'm not sure which is top of the line

Nathan, I read that promo for eschalon before, but the bella rosa I had shipped from CA were sub par. Even the processing was lame.  They had a lot of peel and green core etc.  Honestly, they were terrible.

Let me point out also that most italian brands are plum tomatoes where the american ones seem to be round tomatoes. Plum win hands down in my book.

Try the Cento and let me know.  If you click onto my site I give sauce and prep instructions I use with the cento, if you are interested.

Jeff

Jeff,

Try Escalon's 6-in-1 (not the Bella Rosa -- I didn't like them either). The 6-in-1's are truly excellent.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline buzz

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2005, 09:35:56 AM »
I tried Progresso crushed tomatoes and found them to be excellent! 6-in1's are great, but you have to check the freshness date (the code on the can gives the year they were packed), because they can get very acidic when not fresh.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2005, 09:48:58 AM »
have some patience with the DLX mixer. It took me 5 batches to get the hang of it, but hopefully with my instructions you can cut that down a lot.  I now get consistently great dough out of it.

I may have forgotten this on my website:

I fully loosen the black plastic bolt and let the arm swing back and forth on it's own as the machine runs.  Occasionally I manually swing the arm to the center to make sure no dough pools ther and I also move the scrapper to the center just to force some extrusion.

Offline Cosmo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2005, 01:49:13 PM »
After reading the recipes posted here, I noticed you need about 3 1/2 cans of the tomatoes.

I just bought 6 cans of the 6 IN 1 All-purpose ground tomatoes.  I didn't realize I bought the 12 oz cans!  ^-^

Boy - After spooning it out, I only needed one can for my 16" deep-dish. 

I will have plenty for later now!  ;)

pizzapan