Author Topic: how to weight 1 gram  (Read 195 times)

Offline sallam

how to weight 1 gram
« on: April 14, 2016, 06:20:03 AM »
I've found that, if you try to weight 1 gram of yeast in your digital scale, you would probably end up with a lot more than 1 gram. That is because most scales are not sensitive untill they are used to weight higher amounts. So if you want to measure 1 gram, first put something heavier, a bowl or something, notice its weight, then, without zeroing the scale, add the yeast until the reading increases by 1 gram.

To test this: repeat 3 times with idy yeast, then add them together in a measuring teaspoon to see that they almost filled the teaspoon (a teaspoon of idy yeast equals 3.2g).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:25:45 AM by sallam »
I'm a home baker.

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: how to weight 1 gram
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »
Keep in mind that "1 gram" on a scale that only has 1 gram resolution can weigh anywhere from 0.51g to 1.49g using the method you describe above.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline paulraphael

• underbelly
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 10:38:18 AM »
Most kitchens have two scales; a high capacity one that reads to 1 gram, and low capacity one (usually under 200g) that reads to 0.01g. The latter type is precise enough for just about any kitchen use. They're great not just for yeast but for many many modern ingredients (especially hydrocolloids) that get used in tiny quantities. I use my small scale for any quantity lower than 10 grams, if accuracy is important.

The two-scale system is the cheapest way to do it. You can buy a scale that has both high capacity and high precision, but it will cost much more.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:23:43 AM by paulraphael »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:50:44 AM »
I've been very pleased with this cheap little scale - $16, 2kg in .1g increments.

http://amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Digital-Back-Lit-Display/dp/B00IZ1YHZK/?tag=pmak-20
[/url]
This is a good test:

1. Zero scale
2. Place a single coffee bean on scale: reads .2g
3. Place a plate on scale
4. Zero it
5. Place same coffee bean on scale: reads .2g
6. Repeat 1-5 several times: still reads .2g

Offline paulraphael

• underbelly
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 11:30:50 AM »
I'd suggest this one: http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-ACP-200-Digital/dp/B003STEIYY/?tag=pmak-20

Also $14ish, but reads to 0.01g. I've had mine about 4 years without trouble and only recently had to change the batteries. The added precision may sound excessive, but it's handy if you ever get into some of the more contemporary culinary ingredients, or just want to measure leavening for small batches.

I'd also suggest checking out oldwillknottscales.com. This hokey site has just about every scale and all the scale knowledge.

Edited to add: I haven't used this one, but it looks even better than the one above: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013L9DIOG/?tag=pmak-20

wordpress