Author Topic: Bosch Universal Plus Experiments  (Read 36309 times)

Online Matthew

Re: Bosch Universal Plus Experiments
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 01:42:09 PM »

Matt,

I know you understand the "W" value concept but for the members here who don't, this link might explain the entire thing a bit better:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ggda/flour_criteria_judging.htm

Great link!

Thanks

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 01:46:18 PM »
Yeah, I have something in common with Pete-zaa, we're both C-hookers! :-D :-D :-D

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »

Although we are here to eat pizza, sometimes crow is on the menu.

Leading up to the time I purchased a Bosch Universal mixer, I searched for info regarding small batches.  One dealer I spoke to told me about the small batch adapter.  There was no info I could find pro or con that seemed reliable, so I decided to buy it.  When the machine arrived I assembled it with the adapter since my doughs usually weigh 430-880 grams.  I did not try the machine without it.  The adapter made sense to me since it has two flanges to "catch" the dough which I thought would increase the kneading efficiency.

In an earlier post on this thread, Chau mentioned that the small batch adapter is useless. I thought he was inhaling too much laughing gas. :-D  So I decided to do my own test comparing a dough ball weighing 435 g (HG,60%,salt,IDY) with the adapter and a second without it.  I took photos at one minute intervals to document my impending triumph.  Well it didn't happen !!!  In a nut shell without the adapter the dough came together by 3 minutes and I thought it was finished by 5 minutes.  With the adapter the dough wasn't "ready" until 9 minutes into the kneading.

Kudos to Chau.

Bob

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2010, 08:13:40 PM »
Bobino, thank you for doing the test and confirming my results.  I have the best of intentions but I'm not always scientific and exacting in my approach or methods. 

I was surprise to discover that the small batch adapter was in fact counter productive.  It prevents the BUP from mixing a small batch effectively.    And it does this really well by trapping the dough at the center shaft preventing it from making contact with the mixing arms.  :-D  Go figure...

It may also be possible to mix a smaller batch than 400gm in the BUP.  I found that at 300gm, the doughball was just small enough to wrap itself around the center shaft and didn't have enough volume beyond that to make contact with the mixing arms.  At 400gm, the mixing arms caught the dough and was able to knead it. 

Bobino, feel free to help me out anytime and post up some experiments.  I'm sure we'd all love to hear another perspective.  ;)

Cheers,
Chau

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2010, 08:59:31 PM »
Great find Chau... you and your experiments. I know you got the gizmo as well and I know you said it probably didn't work either. But have you tried a bigger batch where the dough would have a chance of climbing into the unit to see if the gizmo stops it? I would really like to see your finding on that outcome if possible. I promise this isn't some plot to make you fat ;D.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 08:11:41 AM »
David, the ineffectiveness of the creeper gizmo was related to me by another member who found it ineffective.  The largest batch I have mixed so far is ~950gm of dough and it didn't seem to creep up the center shaft.   Hopefully sooner than later, I will mix up a 1500gm batch or so to see if it does.

Looking at the dough creeper gizmo, it is made of a flexible plastic.  I can visually dough coming up the column and just pushing it aside.  The design may be sound but the materials they use don't appear to be.   If it was made from a much more stiff plastic or even metal, I bet it would work fine. 

If someone has the tools, know how, and interest in replicating this piece using SS, I would be more than happy to put it to the test. 

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 09:10:06 AM »
The reason I asked is when making dough in the DLX and using the roller attachment. I have to stand there with a spatula against the roller so dough doesn't climb up, kind of like the gizmo thing. I can see what you are saying though about it being cheap plastic.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 09:15:20 AM »
JT,  in my experience the dough does not tend to ride to far up the center shaft unless it it a very wet dough,  and can be a good indicator of you hydration.  Doughs around 60+- % are fine,  and never really get up to that part of the shaft. -marc

Online Matthew

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2010, 09:32:18 AM »
The reason I asked is when making dough in the DLX and using the roller attachment. I have to stand there with a spatula against the roller so dough doesn't climb up, kind of like the gizmo thing. I can see what you are saying though about it being cheap plastic.

Lock in the roller about 1 inch from the bowl & you should be okay. You'll have to adjust it in or out depending on the size of your batches. Do not leave it tight against the bowl.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:34:50 AM by Matthew »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »
I've been using the hook for the last couple batchs and I like it more then the roller. I am getting a better dough and I don't have to stand over it as much.

Offline toyman

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2010, 02:20:58 PM »
Lock in the roller about 1 inch from the bowl & you should be okay. You'll have to adjust it in or out depending on the size of your batches. Do not leave it tight against the bowl.

+1 on that.  I use the roller on the initial mixing until the dough comes together, 20 minute autolyse and then to the dough hook.  On large batches (over 10#) I do keep an eye on to ensure it doesn't build behind the hook and go up under the arm. 

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2010, 09:33:43 PM »
I was looking at a Bosch the other day to replace my KA..seems like you are getting the hang of it!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2010, 11:20:32 PM »
David, the ineffectiveness of the creeper gizmo was related to me by another member who found it ineffective.  The largest batch I have mixed so far is ~950gm of dough and it didn't seem to creep up the center shaft.   Hopefully sooner than later, I will mix up a 1500gm batch or so to see if it does.

Looking at the dough creeper gizmo, it is made of a flexible plastic.  I can visually dough coming up the column and just pushing it aside.  The design may be sound but the materials they use don't appear to be.   If it was made from a much more stiff plastic or even metal, I bet it would work fine. 

If someone has the tools, know how, and interest in replicating this piece using SS, I would be more than happy to put it to the test. 

if you scan the image next to a ruler i will replicate it for you in SS
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2010, 11:28:44 PM »
Sending you a PM now.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2010, 11:31:03 PM »
Sending you a PM now.

if i finish this beer before i get your PM the deal is off  :P  :P  :P

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2010, 11:46:54 PM »
c0mpl3x,  wanna make 2?  I'll buy one.  I love custom stuf!  -marc

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2010, 11:50:23 PM »
if i finish this beer before i get your PM the deal is off  :P  :P  :P

:-D Thank you C0mpl3x. I'll put it in the mail tomorrow.  :D

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »
c0mpl3x,  wanna make 2?  I'll buy one.  I love custom stuf!  -marc

if it's the same mixer, or part, sure.   but otherwise i'll need the part in my hand

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2010, 11:53:56 PM »
c0mpl3x,  same mixer,  same part.  don't feel like you have to.  just figured I'd ask.  -marc

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2010, 11:55:56 PM »
c0mpl3x,  same mixer,  same part.  don't feel like you have to.  just figured I'd ask.  -marc

sure.  when chau gets his part in the mail and i get it, ill pm you for your address