Author Topic: Using a Starter  (Read 1380 times)

Offline StrayBullet

Using a Starter
« on: September 26, 2010, 03:29:22 PM »
I apologize about the questions in advance but the more I read, the more I'm getting confused :(

I made a wild starter following the instructions at SourLoaf.com; mixing 1T rye, 1T white and 1T orange juice.  I did this for 3 days, then scooped out 50g (discarding the rest) and mixed that with 50g "00" flour and 50g water.  I've been doing this for the past 4 days.

• Is daily feeding ok?
  • When can I actually use the starter, what signs am I looking for?
  • I have good bubbles/smell but the action doesn't match what I've seen others doing.  Is the reduced action due to the small quantities I've been using?
  • I was assuming this mix was 100% water (hydration) but I think I've found one mistake, the water ratio is 50% not 100%, correct?

I used the preferment calculator last nite for a single 380g ball using a 5% (total flour) preferment; 226g flour, 138g water, 4.63g salt and 11.59g preferment.  I'm trying to use the starter as a replacement for commercial yeast but I don't see how/where to incorporate that.

• Does that mean that I simply scoop out 11.59g of the starter and use that as the measured preferment? 
  • Should I be using Total Flour, Total Water or Total Dough?  And what's the difference?
  • Is there a preferred fermentation period (time wise) when using a natural starter?
  • Is there a preferred fermentation type?  Should you bench rise, then cold ferment and if so, how long?

I hope these aren't too redundant but I'm really pumped to use this natural starter and really want to get it right if I can.  Thanks!

Mark

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
Re: Using a Starter
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:44:26 PM »
I'm a newby here on starters but I use 1 cup flour (00) and 3/4 cup filtered water every 12 hours.
Good luck.   
 :chef:
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »
Thanks man, I appreciate the input!

Apparently I've bombarded the thread with WAY too many questions  :)

I guess I'm looking for someone to walk me through the process of taking the starter off the counter and how to incorporate that as a commercial yeast replacement.

Hopefully a good pizza starter soul will come along soon :)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 08:46:26 AM »
Stray,
You should email or PM Bob.  He is working a lot for the next few weeks so he may miss this post, but he'll respond.  Bob is going to say that he doesn't know much, but he always says that.  I know he worked with poolish on bread a while ago and more recently on pizza.  That should at least get you started on the right track.
Dave

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:13:12 AM »
Mark,

If you have time to read this thread, this is where I tried natural starters and Toby helped me with them.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10008.msg87117.html#msg87117   

I am now using the Ischia starter and although that performs differently than the natural starters I tried, if you have any other questions I can help you with, let me know.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »
Thanks Dave, will do :)

Norma, appreciate the link and I will read it start to end :)  I've poured over threads and something just isn't clicking with me, apparently my Nuclear Engineering background isn't helping out regarding starters :D

I have a couple of PMs out now; I feel like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for the Inbox to fill up :D

I'm also making a little road trip today and talk with someone in person that I know has the information, I just need to sweet talk them out of it  :-D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:19:25 AM »
Thanks Dave, will do :)

Norma, appreciate the link and I will read it start to end :)  I've poured over threads and something just isn't clicking with me, apparently my Nuclear Engineering background isn't helping out regarding starters :D

I have a couple of PMs out now; I feel like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for the Inbox to fill up :D

I'm also making a little road trip today and talk with someone in person that I know has the information, I just need to sweet talk them out of it  :-D

Mark,

Using any kind of starters is a learning process.  I am on that process right now, even though it isn't on natural starters. 

Best of luck to you if you get to talk to that person.  Maybe we all will learn something.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 02:05:59 PM »
Bullet,

Road trip?  Looking to wind up the turbos?

You know that I'll be wanting to "ride your coat tails" so to speak on the starter.  I'm not sure if that means eat a bite of your pizza or steal some of your starter, but somthing like that.

Dave

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
Hi all, Norma, I hear that about the learning curve. I use a pinch of ADY with my homemade starter to get more rise. I use 150g starter in maybe four cups of AP flour with some gluten. Love the flavor the starter imparts! last night's SD pizza pics included. Yum
Don

Mark,

Using any kind of starters is a learning process.  I am on that process right now, even though it isn't on natural starters. 

Best of luck to you if you get to talk to that person.  Maybe we all will learn something.  :)

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 06:20:48 PM »
Hurry up Mark.  Don's pictures look really good. ;D
Dave

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 08:19:20 PM »
Bullet,

Road trip?  Looking to wind up the turbos?

You know that I'll be wanting to "ride your coat tails" so to speak on the starter.  I'm not sure if that means eat a bite of your pizza or steal some of your starter, but something like that.

Dave

:D Dave...they do need firing up but you know I need dry ground to hook up all that power  ;)

I'm definitely in the beginning stages of the starter road, but it should be a fun ride!  I dropped by Wood Fired Pizza today for lunch and had a really great talk with Peter, that is after the rush died down :D

Peter really has a passion for pizza and really knows his stuff.  I tried to ask pointed technique questions and kept my mouth shut as much as possible :D  I think the more we talked the more questions I had.  But I've got a good starting point and I know his door is open, especially since he's a fellow cigar smoker!