Author Topic: My one shot with a Kitchen Aid & thoughts  (Read 2963 times)

Offline hb2474

Re: My one shot with a Kitchen Aid & thoughts
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 10:52:47 AM »
On the k45ss there is a hobart logo on the chrome strip that goes around the top. On the first photo where there is a light reflection, there should be a hobart logo. It's right in back of the speed lever.  I can barely see it but it looks to be a hobart and the guy states that it is. It also states it in the round bowl holder section. I tried to take a picture of mine but the reflection blocked it out.

Now on the k45, The strip will not say hobart on it. It will only say it on where the bowl connects.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 10:59:28 AM »
I use one of these for every dough including 100$ caputo batchs up to 900 G of flour
looking atthe bosch but not til this one dies May be a while!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline hb2474

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 11:08:54 AM »

Interesting! I tried making a 1000g batch and the dough started to work over the top of the c hook into where you connect it. I backed down to 750g to where it works great. when you make your 900's how high does the dough go?

Offline hb2474

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 12:16:36 PM »
Jackie,

On another note if you want to spend more since you did say around 1K then you might want to look at the Hobart N-50's. Brand new they sell for 2K but I found a used one listed for 620.00 with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-N-50-RESTAURANT-BAKERY-5QT-COUNTER-TOP-MIXER-/160475755472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255d19b3d0

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 12:18:21 PM by hb2474 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
HB that thing is cool!  I'll see if I have some dedicated space in the kitchen so I don't have to pull it out and put it away with each use.

It looks like it'll take other attachments as well.  Sorry for the newb mixer questions but is there much difference in the quality of dough using one of these vs a spiral mixer or a Bosch?

Offline hb2474

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 12:56:59 PM »
As for mixers I cant say which one is better for dough since I only used the KA K45 for dough. I cant compare it to anything since I haven't used anything else. I read that Jeff Versano uses the Electrolux DLX and said that it was better than the KA but to me that's one man's opinion and I'm sure someone else would say something different. I guess someone would have to buy all these different mixers and test them out and then that would be that persons opinion while someone else who used all those mixers would have a different opinion.

I only researched the KA mixers and after reading many postings about them concluded that the older they are the more durable they are. 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 11:53:30 PM »
Chau,

A quick heads-up on the KA Classic Series.

First off, the dough, at a certain weight, tends to crawl up the hook into the springs that holds the hook in place. Second, the bowl "locks" tightly in place on occasion where it almost takes two people to get it out.

If you want to spend $200-300, look into the Cuisinart 5.5qt or 7qt, with 800 watts of power or get the Bosch Universal, the new one, or a DLX. They are all much better mixers than the KA, imho.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 12:08:44 AM »
Thanks Mike.  I ended up ordering the Bosch Universal plus this past Sunday. Just waiting for it to arrive anyday now. ;D  I was wondering what type of mixer you are currently using?