Author Topic: DKM Deep Dish results  (Read 3113 times)

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
DKM Deep Dish results
« on: April 14, 2005, 01:33:49 AM »
It has been a while since I had attempted a deep dish, and my pizza making has progressed quite a bit since I last did, so I gave i decided to give it a go. I used DKM's percents and adjusted the amounts for a 14" pan with a 2" lip(dkm's recipe uses a 15") Otherwise, I pretty much followed his instructions to a t. For the filling I used 1/2 pound of sliced mozzerella, 1/4 pound of sliced provolone, peperoni, spicy Italian sausage and a 28 oz can of escalon 6 in 1's spooned right out of the can. I toped the pizza with dried basil, oregano, crushed red peppers and some pecorino romano cheese. Baked on the bottom rack at 450 for 25 minutes. The pizza came out fantastic. For those that are interested here are the weights I used for my 14" deep dish pan.

16.1 oz KASL Flour
9.8 oz water
3.1 oz cornmeal
3.1 oz canola oil
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2-1/4 tsp. ady

(http://www.duckjob.net/pizza/dkm-deepdish/dkm-deepdish1.jpg)

(http://www.duckjob.net/pizza/dkm-deepdish/dkm-deepdish2.jpg)

(http://www.duckjob.net/pizza/dkm-deepdish/dkm-deepdish3.jpg)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: DKM Deep Dish results
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 07:43:54 AM »
DKM has a real winner with his recipe!  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 08:33:24 AM »
DKM wow, you and me sauce lovers unite....I make my pies using more tomato then anything else. Now I'm the hungry one!

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 08:45:19 AM »
damn that looks GOOOOOOOD  ;D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 05:41:04 PM »
Beautiful color and very nice edge.

Glad it turned out so well for you. 

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 05:53:53 PM »
Now you have to try his thin crust which is great.

Randy

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 06:07:52 PM »
Now you have to try his thin crust which is great.

Randy

way ahead of you :)

(http://www.duckjob.net/pizza/miscpizza/dkmcracker.jpg)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 06:19:08 PM »
Hi DuckJob,

do you deliver ?   ;D

Mark

P.S. that first pizza looks really damn good , if we cut it open would we see cheese as one
of the first things placed in the pie ? ... I'm guessing so, but thought I would ask

anyway great job  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 06:21:15 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 06:35:42 PM »
yes the first layer is a combination of sliced moz and sliced provolone, then peperoni, sausage sauce and spices.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 07:28:41 PM »
duckjob,

Great job on both pizzas. I notice that you used KASL instead of the all-purpose flour called for in DKM's recipe. Was there a particular reason you did so? And have you made a DKM deep dish using the all-purpose flour to be able to compare the two pizzas?

For future reference, you might want to take note of the table presented at Reply #14 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,560.0.html. The table basically converts DKM's recipe to flour amounts for several different pizza sizes, from 6" to 16". The amounts, by weight, of the other ingredients are calculated using the baker's percents from DKM's recipe, as it appears you did. You used a 2" deep pan, as opposed to the 2 1/4" deep pan on which the table was based, but you would come pretty close using the amounts calculated from the table for the 14-in size if you push the dough up the side of your 2"-deep pan and a bit over the edge and discard the excess. Out of curiosity, I calculated the amount of flour to use for a 14", 2"-inch deep pan specifically, and got around 15 oz. So you were pretty close after all. The abovereferenced table allows everyone to try out Deven's fine recipe.

Peter

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 07:41:42 PM »
Peter, In my hastiness, I neglected to even realize that his recipe called for AP flour instead of high gluten. I may have to make another one soon with ap flour just to compare. As far as coming up with the amount of flour, I figured that DKM used 18 oz of flour for a 15" pan with a 2" lip, giving it a diameter of 19" overall. My 14" pan with 2" lip has a diameter of 18" overall. I used the ratio of flour to area to figure it. 18/(pi x 9.5 x 9.5) = x/(pi x 9 x 9) . x ended up equaling 16.1 rounded off. I'll double check this all later, I'm a bit rushed at the moment, I've got class to be at in 15 minutes.

Brian

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »
duckjob is truly dancing at the feet of the pizza gods.

was your sausage raw or did your cook it before putting it in the pie?  I have never made a deep dish style pie.  Ive made a hell of alot of round pie and sicilian pie, but not the deep dish....but now i'm thinkin.

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 01:10:47 AM »
duckjob is truly dancing at the feet of the pizza gods.

was your sausage raw or did your cook it before putting it in the pie?  I have never made a deep dish style pie.  Ive made a hell of alot of round pie and sicilian pie, but not the deep dish....but now i'm thinkin.

I cooked it all the way through, just to reduce the amount of grease in the pizza more than anything else.

pizzapan