Author Topic: Easy first time pizza dough recipies  (Read 12460 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Easy first time pizza dough recipies
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2010, 10:04:50 AM »
Vindii,

If it isn't a shaping and stretching problem, you can try reducing the hydration by a few percent. Or you might let the pizzas bake at a lower temperature for a longer time so that you drive out more moisture in the dough and end up with a dryer, crispier crust that holds its shape better without excessive drooping. You might test one variable at a time so that you can assign cause and effect better.

Peter

Offline Vindii

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2010, 10:57:57 AM »
Vindii,

If it isn't a shaping and stretching problem, you can try reducing the hydration by a few percent. Or you might let the pizzas bake at a lower temperature for a longer time so that you drive out more moisture in the dough and end up with a dryer, crispier crust that holds its shape better without excessive drooping. You might test one variable at a time so that you can assign cause and effect better.

Peter

So it's not just how this style of crust is?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 11:18:22 AM »
So it's not just how this style of crust is?

Vindii,

I am relying on memory of my trips to NYC but to a certain extent, this is true. NY style pizza slices are intended to be foldable so there is some natural softness to the crust to allow the slices to be foldable. You can see an example in the photo at http://www.flickr.com/photos/cb-photography/109793480// However, that doesn't mean that you have to have high hydration to achieve that characteristic. Many pizza operators who specialize in the NY style, especially those who hire workers untrained in handling high hydration doughs, can use as little as 57-58% hydration yet still achieve a foldable crust, even with the range of oven temperatures they use (which can be as low as 450 degrees F).

If you were using a high gluten flour, you might also find that the slices stiffen up as they cool down. Reheated leftover slices, as many NY pizza operators sell, will also stiffen up in many cases once they are reheated.

Peter

Offline Vindii

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »
Vindii,

I am relying on memory of my trips to NYC but to a certain extent, this is true. NY style pizza slices are intended to be foldable so there is some natural softness to the crust to allow the slices to be foldable. You can see an example in the photo at http://www.flickr.com/photos/cb-photography/109793480// However, that doesn't mean that you have to have high hydration to achieve that characteristic. Many pizza operators who specialize in the NY style, especially those who hire workers untrained in handling high hydration doughs, can use as little as 57-58% hydration yet still achieve a foldable crust, even with the range of oven temperatures they use (which can be as low as 450 degrees F).

If you were using a high gluten flour, you might also find that the slices stiffen up as they cool down. Reheated leftover slices, as many NY pizza operators sell, will also stiffen up in many cases once they are reheated.

Peter

Thanks Pete.  Is there any glossary of the different styles of pizza with descriptions on what they taste/look like?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »
Thanks Pete.  Is there any glossary of the different styles of pizza with descriptions on what they taste/look like?

Vindii,

There is a brief and general description of the various pizza styles on the forum index page at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php, under Pizza Making. However, your best bet to get an idea as to what some of the different pizza styles look like is to go to the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7799.0.html, and particularly Reply 5. You might want to have a napkin on hand since you are very likely to start drooling when you go through the photos.

If you are especially interested in the NY style, you can also check out the collection of NY style dough recipes at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.0.html. If you click through selected offerings, you should find both photos and accompanying dough recipes and commentary on the characteristics of the pizzas.

FYI, there is a forum Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html. It doesn't address your question directly but it does contain a lot of information that you might find useful.

Peter

Offline Vindii

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2010, 11:04:10 PM »
Made 3 pizzas for the game Sunday.  Came out great.

Had an extra dough ball so I decided to try a calzone.  Same Lehmann dough from earlier in this thread.  Stuffed it with pepperoni, sausage, onion, mozzarella, and parm.  Cooked it on the upper stone in the grill at about 425-450.  Took 15 minutes.  Came out very good for my first time.  It certainly was big.  Next time I may cut it in half and make 2.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2010, 11:08:05 PM »
Perfect!

She's a beauty.

Eggwash, huh?  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Vindii

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »
Perfect!

She's a beauty.

Eggwash, huh?  ;D

Yup

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »

Yup

Hi Vindii.

Nice looking pies, I'm glad you're having good success.

I was also going to ask if Egg Wash was the reason for the shiny Calzone style.  I noticed you also topped it with a sauce of some description? I didn't see a mention of what it was, but if you're into...

'That kind of thing'  >:D

..Check out the Chicago Style Deep Dish and Stuffed Pizza Pies. 

The Egg wash reminded me of a 'Pasty' from my Native England and made me home sick, which is OK, I'll forgive you.

You could also experiment with other glazes such as Olive Oil and Salt Glazes, if you don't have egg. I only say this as I always avoid egg unless I'm making Challah and already have egg available, otherwise I find it to be a pain in the but.

If you are unaware of what a pasty is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

Offline Vindii

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2010, 01:41:42 PM »

Hi Vindii.

Nice looking pies, I'm glad you're having good success.

I was also going to ask if Egg Wash was the reason for the shiny Calzone style.  I noticed you also topped it with a sauce of some description? I didn't see a mention of what it was, but if you're into...

'That kind of thing'  >:D

..Check out the Chicago Style Deep Dish and Stuffed Pizza Pies. 

The Egg wash reminded me of a 'Pasty' from my Native England and made me home sick, which is OK, I'll forgive you.

You could also experiment with other glazes such as Olive Oil and Salt Glazes, if you don't have egg. I only say this as I always avoid egg unless I'm making Challah and already have egg available, otherwise I find it to be a pain in the but.

If you are unaware of what a pasty is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

Thanks for the comments guys.  Sauce is just standard pizza sauce.

The pasty sounds similar to a beef pot pie.  May have to try that some time.

Actually Chicago deep dish is next on the list per the wife's request.  I found the canned tomatoes (6 in 1) but still need to find a deep dish pan so I can get some help with the crust recipe.

Having lots of fun learning.

Offline Vindii

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
Made some pies on my Bubba Keg grill tonight.  This is a big green egg style of grill/smoker.  Preheats the stone to 550 for about 1 hour.  Used the same % from the recipe that Pete did for me earlier in this thread to make (3) 9" pizzas.  1 for the kids to split, 1 for the wife, and 1 for me.  The temp started to drop after the first one due to me opening the lid to add/remove pies and take pictures.  Next time I'll start at 600 to help with the temp.  All pies came out great.  My 4 year old daughter said these were the best pizzas I've made yet.

Here are some pics.

Offline Vindii

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
Couple more pics

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2010, 06:19:08 AM »
Made some pies on my Bubba Keg grill tonight.  This is a big green egg style of grill/smoker.  Preheats the stone to 550 for about 1 hour.  Used the same % from the recipe that Pete did for me earlier in this thread to make (3) 9" pizzas.  1 for the kids to split, 1 for the wife, and 1 for me.  The temp started to drop after the first one due to me opening the lid to add/remove pies and take pictures.  Next time I'll start at 600 to help with the temp.  All pies came out great.  My 4 year old daughter said these were the best pizzas I've made yet.

Here are some pics.

Vindii,

Your pies look tasty!  :)  Good to hear your four year old daughter said these were the best pizzas you made.

Norma

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2010, 07:31:05 AM »
I went into a BBQ store yesterday looking to buy a Big Green Egg & after a pretty long chat with the store manager I ended up walking out with a Big Steel Keg.  Pizza aside, are you happy with it as a charcoal grill & smoker? 

Matt

Offline Vindii

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »
I went into a BBQ store yesterday looking to buy a Big Green Egg & after a pretty long chat with the store manager I ended up walking out with a Big Steel Keg.  Pizza aside, are you happy with it as a charcoal grill & smoker? 

Matt

Matt,

I bought a new weber gas grill this past spring after my old gasser died.  I have been cooking on gas for years.  I saw a deal on the Bubba Keg (now Big Steel keg) and could not pass it up.  After using it for the last 3 months I have been very happy with it.  I now use it much more than my new gas grill.  Slow and low cooks are great on it.  Also it gets very hot so searing steaks is great. 

If I had bought the Keg before the weber I'm not sure I would have the weber.

Get your self a BGE plate setter and a stone and start cooking pies.  Also check out the Bubba keg forum for may great ideas for cooks.

http://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »
Matt,

I bought a new weber gas grill this past spring after my old gasser died.  I have been cooking on gas for years.  I saw a deal on the Bubba Keg (now Big Steel keg) and could not pass it up.  After using it for the last 3 months I have been very happy with it.  I now use it much more than my new gas grill.  Slow and low cooks are great on it.  Also it gets very hot so searing steaks is great. 

If I had bought the Keg before the weber I'm not sure I would have the weber.

Get your self a BGE plate setter and a stone and start cooking pies.  Also check out the Bubba keg forum for may great ideas for cooks.

http://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php

Thanks.  The BSK now has its own plate setter, they were out of stock & awaiting another shipment.

Matt

pizzapan