Author Topic: Kitchenaid Mixer K5SS (5 quarts)  (Read 1397 times)

Offline wepesq

• I Love Pizza!
Kitchenaid Mixer K5SS (5 quarts)
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »
I've always made by dough by hand but this forum inspired me to break down and try a mixer. Today I bought a used Kitchenaid K5SS. I am fairly sure it's 5 quarts and 325 watts. It came with the splash guard, dough hook, whisk, and some other attachment (shown) for a use unknown to me. Anyway, I paid $100 on Craigslist. I think I got a pretty good deal because if I decide mechanical mixing is not for me, I could probably sell it and get most of that amount back. Has anyone had a particularly good or bad experience with this model?  Any tips?  I can't wait to get her humming this weekend.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Kitchenaid Mixer K5SS (5 quarts)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:17:17 PM »
I've had one of the same model for 20 years. I have no complaints. It maxes out at about 1.4kg of flour @61%HR.

The attachment in the picture is the paddle. I use it for things like cakes and cookies.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TomN

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:30:07 AM »
I have the Kitchen Aid Professional HD that I purchased at Costco.  I love it for kneading my dough. Sometimes I still mix my dough by hand and other times I use the paddle attachment to mix my a dough ball. However, I always use the hook attachment to knead the dough.  I put it on the lowest speed for 10 minutes using the hook and it kneads the dough perfectly each time. 

Again, I used to knead the dough by hand, but since using the Kitchen Aid one time, I have switched. No Comparison to using the HOOK. I won't go back. Hope you enjoy your KA.

TomN

PS
Here is my dough recipe

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.480.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:42:14 AM by TomN »

Offline wepesq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
Thanks guys.