Author Topic: Pizza station/prep table  (Read 4153 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
Pizza station/prep table
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
i made a mahagony peel after reading something Marco posted and it seems to work much better than the old aluminum one i've been using.  But then i found that it was difficult to arrange the setup so i could get the skins off my marble table onto it without assistance.  i noted on a trip to Atlanta that the pizziolo at Verasano's was making the pies on wood peels so i tried that, but the extended time on the peel caused some other problems.  with inspiration from those UPN videos i decided to make a prep table to solve all those problems and double as a cart to haul supplies from the kitchen to the WFO. 

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Pizza station/prep table
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:26:33 PM »
WM,  thats a pretty sick table!  I have a spot in my oven room I have been eyeing to do something like that with.  Are you liking the wood surface better than the marble?  Did you do your own glue up or did you but a butcher bolck?  Curious what height its at too,  and if you like it.  When I get around to mine,  I will post some pictures.  Winters coming fast,  I'll have time then.  Thanks for the inspiration.  -marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »
That table looks awesome man really nice job on the craftsmanship. You should make those for Neapolitan pizzeria. I would buy one if I owned a place. I wanted to do something like that on the table I have outside but it didn't work out so the marble place notched the end of the table to slide the pizza onto the peel.

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
That is absolutely beautiful.  As is your marble table.  So much talent at pizzamaking.com!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:23:03 PM »
thanks!  i had some butcher block from an old job so it was easy.  i still use the marble table for pizza making and drag the pies onto the peel.  i think the wood side would work just as well. it's all at about 30", two steps from the oven. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:32:03 PM »
Thanks for posting looks awesome ! I will have to now build something like that as I have an L shape granite counter so I need it as an add ON to stick in the corner,could hang bracket for handle from the grill and burner and remove small tablelike structure when not in use something adjustable height to work for all size ? or a table similar to yours on the right end of island, very similar to your unit, would be perfect. and also keep the riff raff out of the making station ! did your have a sketch? did you simply cut to size and then rout out the peel holder? My Mind is whirling! Compl3x? did you finish that beer yet?
John
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:40:45 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »
thanks John, i traced the peel and cut the whole butcherblock through.  the peel holder is a sep. piece..

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »
Thanks got it Very Nice!
looking for some old BBlock now I do Have a wood shop in the garage.
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:12:37 PM »
Verra' nice!  I need something like that.  I have been putting off pouring my concrete countertops until I figure out exactly what the optimal prep is going to be.  I have already decided that the counter is inadequate and I will have to build a portable island like that.  I am a masonry guy though, not a nail bender, so I will probably end up with a stainless island on wheels.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »
I finally got around to updating my inside prep table that I use for quick pizza night or if it's raining.  it accommodates the traditional method of dressing the pizza on marble and dragging it onto the mahogany peel.  this is a piece of Alabama White Marble that I had left over from another project.  it's great for dough preparation of all sorts.  I copied Da Michele's notch from Omid's pictures. 
bill

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 05:24:43 AM »
Love it Bill. Not only did you copy the notch from Da Michele, you seem to have replicated their pizza as well ;).

Did you create the notch yourself or did an installer do it?

John

Offline derricktung

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 06:43:01 AM »
Seriously ingenious idea!!!  I'm going to have to see if there's some sort of potential functionality like that for a mobile set up...

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
I love it. I may do that on my table rather than a fitted cut out like your outdoor table.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 09:06:39 AM »
thanks guys!  I got a marble guy to cut the piece to replace half of a butcher block island top and he did the notch too. 
Derrick, here's my mobile setup, I couldn't find a great picture but I use a marble slab on the table.  the peel sits on the table next to the slab. 
bill

pizzapan