Author Topic: How to get rid of the water  (Read 58953 times)

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
Re: How to get rid of the water
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
Brian,
YOU ROCK!  It was nothing short of fabulous, thanks so much.

Matt

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2011, 06:20:46 PM »
Matt those look killer.  You must love having that oven for the winter huh.  It looks like it does a great job.  -marc

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
Matt those look killer.  You must love having that oven for the winter huh.  It looks like it does a great job.  -marc

Thanks Marc,
Love that little oven!

Matt

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »
Matt,

What took you so long :-D? They look great.

What size did you make, and which recipe did you use?

Peter

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2011, 06:47:23 PM »
Matt,

What took you so long :-D? They look great.

What size did you make, and which recipe did you use?

Peter

I know, I was itching.  They were 16" & I used 475 grams of dough.  I took your formula & created a spreadsheet in excel so that all I have to do is enter the dough ball weight & quantity & the calculator takes care of the rest.  You're long overdue no? ;)

Matt

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2011, 06:53:21 PM »
Matt,

I agree, those pies do look great.  ;D  How did you like the taste of the crust and what kind of flour did you use in the formula.

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
Matt,

Unbelievable! They look fantastic. Great job, as always, bro.  :)

I got to give the formula a shot this coming week.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
Not to change the subject on this thread,  but I was wondering if you think this approach is very similar to Biancos methods?  Maybe without the oil?  Just a thought.  -marc

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
Matt,

Great looking pies.  Very new york in their appearance.  How does the new countertop oven function for more neapolitan formulations and temps?

AZ

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2011, 07:50:56 PM »
Matt those look awesome, I want that pepperoni pizza right now.

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2011, 08:11:31 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words.

Mike, Were you able to donload the calculator?

Norma, I used my usual Unbleached Hard Spring Wheat Flour aka Manitoba 

AZ, Doesn't do a good job at Neo temps, the bottom scorches before the top cooks.  The oven does a great job at  around 700 degrees.

EDIT: 
The amount of yeast used in the poolish is extremely minuscule, neither of my 2 scales (KD700 pro & 400-z) can accurately read the amount required.  I like this formula so much that I've added a 3rd scale to my collection that has a readability of .01g.

We had some friends over last night & the leftover pizza disappeared in a hurry, according to them it was the best pizza they had ever had.  They wanted to know where I ordered it from & didn't believe that I made it until I brought them downstairs & showed them my lab.  For the past while now I have been using a combination of premium pizza mozzarella & bufala; the combination is outstanding.

Matt

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:07:04 AM by Matthew »

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2011, 05:41:36 AM »
Not to change the subject on this thread,  but I was wondering if you think this approach is very similar to Biancos methods?  Maybe without the oil?  Just a thought.  -marc

Marc,
I remember that in Pete Taylor's video from Biancos he made a comment about Chris's biga & Chris just looked & chuckled.  I could be wrong, but I remember reading a while ago that Chris uses a pate fermentee. 

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »

Mike, Were you able to download the calculator?

Matt,

I tried it at work and at home and both machines, or Windows versions I should say, tell me they can't open it. It's really strange.

But let me ask you something. When you say 'premium pizza mozzarella', what brand are you referring to?
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »
Matt,

I tried it at work and at home and both machines, or Windows versions I should say, tell me they can't open it. It's really strange.

But let me ask you something. When you say 'premium pizza mozzarella', what brand are you referring to?

It's from Saputo cheese & it's called mozzarellissima premium pizza mozzarella.

Matt
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:08:54 AM by Matthew »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »
It's from Saputo cheese & it's called mozzissima premium pizza mozzarella.

Matt

Thanks, Bro.

I'll see if I can find it locally. Thanks for the info.
Mike

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »
Thanks, Bro.

I'll see if I can find it locally. Thanks for the info.

Anytime buddy.  Saputo is a Cdn company located in Montreal.

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
Anytime buddy.  Saputo is a Cdn company located in Montreal.

Matt

Matt,

They do sell their products here in the US, too, but I couldn't find the brand name you mentioned. Maybe Saputo sells it under a different name than in Canada?

http://www.saputo.com/world/brand.aspx?id=3007&langtype=4105
Mike

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2011, 06:04:42 AM »
Matt,

They do sell their products here in the US, too, but I couldn't find the brand name you mentioned. Maybe Saputo sells it under a different name than in Canada?

http://www.saputo.com/world/brand.aspx?id=3007&langtype=4105

Hey Mike,
Not sure buddy.  It's 20% M.F. & 52% moisture

Matt
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:07:57 AM by Matthew »

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2011, 05:59:58 PM »
Brian,
YOU ROCK!  It was nothing short of fabulous, thanks so much.

Matt

Sorry that I have been gone for a while... it happens in this crazy restaurant biz. Thanks, Matthew. I am glad you gave the formula a shot and enjoyed it.

B
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »
WOW!

I told my wife, "Someone took over my post.  There's WAY more info there than can be necessary to answer the original question."  Now I see it's Brian himself.  And the info he provides is so detailed, so helpful, and so, so, so incredibly patient.

Brian, you are amazing.  Thank you so much for all your help and most of all for THE BEST PIZZA I'VE EVER HAD.

Tanner

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2011, 02:44:25 PM »
WOW!

I told my wife, "Someone took over my post.  There's WAY more info there than can be necessary to answer the original question."  Now I see it's Brian himself.  And the info he provides is so detailed, so helpful, and so, so, so incredibly patient.

Brian, you are amazing.  Thank you so much for all your help and most of all for THE BEST PIZZA I'VE EVER HAD.

Tanner

Wow! Thank you for the kind words, regarding my input and my pizza. Glad to be here and glad to contribute, however possible.

As a side note, I've been getting some very inconsistent flour lately and I am talking to one of my distributors about bringing in some samples of Central Milling Flour. I am most interested in experimenting with the Bakers Craft flour.

I'll let you know my results after I get my hands on some.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »
Wow! Thank you for the kind words, regarding my input and my pizza. Glad to be here and glad to contribute, however possible.

As a side note, I've been getting some very inconsistent flour lately and I am talking to one of my distributors about bringing in some samples of Central Milling Flour. I am most interested in experimenting with the Bakers Craft flour.

I'll let you know my results after I get my hands on some.

Brian,

Are you talking about the Organic Artisan BC Flour or the malted version?

I got a 25lb bag from the not too long ago (unmalted) and found that it is an excellent choice for bread but not so much for pizza. But then again, my name's not Brian Spangler and you might experience different results given your expertise.

:chef:
Mike

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
Brian,

Are you talking about the Organic Artisan BC Flour or the malted version?

I got a 25lb bag from the not too long ago (unmalted) and found that it is an excellent choice for bread but not so much for pizza. But then again, my name's not Brian Spangler and you might experience different results given your expertise.

:chef:

I want to play with both. What didn't you like about the flour when you made pizza?

If anybody else has recommendations for flour from Central Milling, let me know. I'd like to get a bunch of 25# bags from my distributor to play with.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
I want to play with both. What didn't you like about the flour when you made pizza?

If anybody else has recommendations for flour from Central Milling, let me know. I'd like to get a bunch of 25# bags from my distributor to play with.

Brian,

The flour I used was the malted version.

When I used it it was in combination with another flour and the result was a pale, overly chewy crust. But back then I also had issues with my home oven so I'm sure that played a factor, too. I'd love to hear your take on the flour once you get it.

I will give it another shot since I'm planning to get another bag from Nick in Petaluma.

But if you look here, they also offer a pizza flour, which is new in the collection of flours.

http://www.centralmilling.com/newstuff.htm
Mike

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2011, 05:41:32 AM »
What an informative thread, thank you Brian.

A few more questions since we have you here.   Sorry if my numbers are off since I don't have a calculator in front of me.  From a quick look at the numbers Peter posted...

It looks like you do about a 50% preferment/poolish plus a bit of IDY (~0.05% of the flour weight) in the final dough.  What is the purpose of such a small amount of IDY in the final dough?  Why not just use the preferment/poolish alone for leavening purposes?

Also not sure if this has been asked already, but can you discuss your fermentation protocol?  How long is the poolish sitting at room temps until it's ready to use?  Are you still using it right at the brink of collapse to maximize the effects of the acids or are you using a younger poolish with the lower hydrated dough?   Also what temp and time frame are you fermenting the final dough with roughly 50% active poolish and a pinch of IDY?

Thank you so much,
Chau 

pizzapan