Author Topic: How to get rid of the water  (Read 47087 times)

Offline bakeshack

Re: How to get rid of the water
« Reply #180 on: May 01, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »
Here are some pies I made today using Brian Spangler's formula.  I used my hands to mix/knead the dough so I tried 72% hydration level for this batch (I read somewhere Brian uses 72% when he used to hand knead his dough).  3.5 hrs bulk fermented (with S&F every 45 mins), 4 hrs final rise.  Baked in the WFO at 670 F for around 4-5 mins. 

The dough was a dream to work with.  Very soft and easy to stretch yet strong enough not to tear apart.  I used 100% Central Milling Artisan Bakers Craft (unmalted). 

Thank you Brian! 

Marlon

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #181 on: May 02, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
Wow those look great. What brand roni did you use?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #182 on: May 02, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
Thank you!  Those were Margherita brand pepperoni.

Marlon

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #183 on: May 02, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
Awesome Marlon. What was the size of the dough balls and finished pie size for these?

John

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2012, 03:02:32 PM »
Thank you John!  Those were 480g balls.  I planned on making 18" pies but ended up with around 17".  My peel was 18" and my oven door was also 18" so I had to tilt the pie during the launch and made it harder for me to pull out the peel at the end. 

Marlon

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #185 on: May 02, 2012, 04:23:50 PM »
Now THOSE are some pizzas. Wow. Really nice.  I love the bottom crust.

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #186 on: May 02, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
Thank you, Tinroof! 

Marlon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #187 on: May 02, 2012, 05:52:20 PM »
Very nice; how big are they?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #188 on: May 02, 2012, 06:09:22 PM »
Thanks, Craig!  They came out closer to 17" than 18".

Marlon

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #189 on: September 16, 2012, 10:29:32 PM »
Greetings,

I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it is most awesome. I made some pizzas using THE FORMULA today and they came out about as close to perfection as I have tasted. Below are some pictures of the process, no pictures of the pizzas though, we ate those things!!

p.s. I put the formula into a google spreadsheet, if you're into that sort of thing,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj7knJ84DwjAdDZqLUNSTWJaalY5NGhqaFJFd20yQlE

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »
Can you explain what the second pic is showing me? Also, I really feel like you should have been wearing an Iron Maiden shirt.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
The second picture is of the cut dough after it has been bulk fermented and folded. Notice the layering. I got that shirt for half price, which I thought was a good deal.

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2013, 02:21:19 AM »
It's been a while since I've posted, but I thought I would let everyone know that we are no longer using oil in our dough, since we moved to Central Milling Artisan Bakers Craft (non-malted). Hydration has varied between 62-65% with CMABC.

Another note... David (BrickStoneOven) stopped by the pizzeria and picked my brain for 5 hours today. Great kid. I hope the advice I gave him helps him along the way as he chases the dream of opening his own pizzeria.

Other than that. Life is good. :)

Brian
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2013, 09:46:44 AM »
It's been a while since I've posted, but I thought I would let everyone know that we are no longer using oil in our dough, since we moved to Central Milling Artisan Bakers Craft (non-malted). Hydration has varied between 62-65% with CMABC.

Another note... David (BrickStoneOven) stopped by the pizzeria and picked my brain for 5 hours today. Great kid. I hope the advice I gave him helps him along the way as he chases the dream of opening his own pizzeria.

Other than that. Life is good. :)

Brian

Not to gush but you are one of my pizza heroes, and it is so great that you drop by here now and then.  It's very interesting that a change in the type of flour would lead you to delete oil from your recipe.  (Maybe we should change the name of this thread to "How to get rid of the oil"!).  I guess there must be a pretty big difference between Central Milling flour and the flour you were using before (which I think was General Mills Harvest King). Can you discuss a bit what you perceive as the difference between the two flours that caused you to get rid of the oil.  Did your clientele notice when you made the change?  Any other differences that you noted or adjustments you had to make to accommodate the change? 

Not sure if you saw this thread where one of our members went to your place and was sitting next to a pizza aficionado who said that "pizza is in some way a metaphor for the human condition". He should read Omid's thread.  I hope to make it up to your pizzeria myself one day (I am in California).

Regards,

TinRoof

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:48:55 AM by tinroofrusted »

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »
I'm attempting this recipe.  However, the miniscule amounts of yeast are pretty intimidating.  Even my jewelry scale I bought for measuring small ingredients isn't near precise enough.  I used the formula that his posted on the pizza dough generator

http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=8

For my poolish it called for .03% yeast.  I erred and measured for .04% I believe, which amounts to .06 grams of yeast.

I dissolved 1 gram yeast with 100 grams of water and used 6 grams of that water as part of my preferment.  Does that sound correct to anyone or did I goof already?

Thanks

DenaliPete

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2013, 11:22:34 PM »
I'm attempting this recipe.  However, the miniscule amounts of yeast are pretty intimidating.  Even my jewelry scale I bought for measuring small ingredients isn't near precise enough.  I used the formula that his posted on the pizza dough generator

For my poolish it called for .03% yeast.  I erred and measured for .04% I believe, which amounts to .06 grams of yeast.

I dissolved 1 gram yeast with 100 grams of water and used 6 grams of that water as part of my preferment.  Does that sound correct to anyone or did I goof already?

Thanks

DenaliPete

It should have been 1g yeast and 99g water, but will be plenty close at 0.059g
Pizza is not bread.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »

Thanks

DenaliPete

TX Craig1 wrote:
It should have been 1g yeast and 99g water, but will be plenty close at 0.059g

I bet TXCraig got all A's in math.   I actually just put a very small pinch in and figure that's about right. Not very scientific but it seems to work pretty well. Your way is better though. 

Brian commented earlier in the thread about how key it is to measure carefully so I guess I should do that, but he is dealing with much larger quantities that we are, not to mention demanding customers, etc. 

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »

I bet TXCraig got all A's in math.   I actually just put a very small pinch in and figure that's about right. Not very scientific but it seems to work pretty well. Your way is better though. 

Brian commented earlier in the thread about how key it is to measure carefully so I guess I should do that, but he is dealing with much larger quantities that we are, not to mention demanding customers, etc.

I am willing to bet that Craig either aced the majority of his classes or was extremely bored with high school.  The man is just incredibly smart and crafty.

Offline paulooms

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2013, 03:58:08 PM »
I live so close to Apizza Scholls and have never been. I'll have to both go there and try the formula myself.

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2013, 11:12:20 PM »
It's very interesting that a change in the type of flour would lead you to delete oil from your recipe.  (Maybe we should change the name of this thread to "How to get rid of the oil"!).  I guess there must be a pretty big difference between Central Milling flour and the flour you were using before (which I think was General Mills Harvest King). Can you discuss a bit what you perceive as the difference between the two flours that caused you to get rid of the oil.  Did your clientele notice when you made the change?  Any other differences that you noted or adjustments you had to make to accommodate the change? 

Regards,

TinRoof

The Harvest King was changing too rapidly for us. I feel that the malt was one of my main problems with the flour, amongst other things. It became too crispy and had a tendency to blow out, now matter what we did with it. The oil was a way of softening the dough.

I always wanted to use organic flour, however the products available to me at the time were too inconsistent and I guess I was content with the GM Harvest King, until Central Milling was willing to work with my distributor to get me a consistent supply of the same lot.

Major observation was that the dough fermentation was much more consistent and I loved the fact that the dough did not darken too quickly (It could take the high heat we like to bake at). Overall, I feel that we lost a few elements that I liked about Harvest King (a little crispier), but the trade off of using organic and getting a little more chew on the crust was something that was acceptable.

We use Cental Milling Artisan Bakers Craft without malt. For the most part, it is a fairly consistent flour, but I wish I could get just a little more crunch. I no longer bake pizza at the shop unless needed. Nobody is confident enough to push the dough to the edge, like I do... or did. Maybe their lies the problem. My body just can't take the 14 hour days on my feet anymore. 26 years takes a toll!!! I now work behind the scenes in the office and playing general handyman and daddy to my daughter... blah, blah, blah.

Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

pizzapan