Author Topic: October 2010 Monthly Challenge: Candy  (Read 5329 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
October 2010 Monthly Challenge: Candy
« on: October 01, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »
We have a lot of good suggestions, and we will be using them in the months to come. 

For this month we will go with Candy.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: October 2010 Monthly Challenge: Candy
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
maybe a little more description on this?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 07:57:59 AM »
As with all challenges here:

1. Think about the word "candy"
2. Think about pizza
3. Shake your head around vigorously
4. Bake a pizza

Seriously, the purpose of the challenge is to motivate you to get into the kitchen and make a pie that you may have never made before, perhaps one that may have never occurred to you. It must be a pie that you make this month and posting photos of your results are encouraged.

Interpretation of the theme is entirely at your discretion. For example, the pizza I'm planning for this challenge has no candy on it, but is still related to the theme. Stay tuned.

Great idea for a theme, DKM!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:21:39 AM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 08:19:56 AM »

For example, the pizza I'm planning for this challenge has no candy on it, but is still related to the theme. Stay tuned.

Bill,

Could I guess that your submission for this challenge might be "eye candy"?   ::)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 02:32:04 PM »
OK, this is as close as I'll get to putting candy on a pizza - tre formaggio con pera. Since pears are just coming into season, I made some candied pears (poached in orange sauce- then reduced to a glaze). Topped with fresh mozzarella, tallegio, and gorgonzola.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 02:39:33 PM »
I hear that deep fried Snickers bars are yummy...maybe time to see what 900 degrees of WFO does to them

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 02:42:31 PM »
"Deep Fried" sounds like a great theme for a future monthly challenge.

Offline Neopolly

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »
How about a pizza-pot-pie challenge <g> 

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
Bill, Wow, You really raised the bar on the candied pear pie. That's like art. Magazine cover stuff.
Regards, Don

Mine is coming....

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
OK, this is as close as I'll get to putting candy on a pizza - tre formaggio con pera. Since pears are just coming into season, I made some candied pears (poached in orange sauce- then reduced to a glaze). Topped with fresh mozzarella, tallegio, and gorgonzola.

Looks great. Have you ever tried adding a Habanero/Scotch Bonnet to your poaching liquid? Put just a tiny slit in them for a small amount of heat or cut them in half for a lot. I bet the sweet-hot would go great on that pie.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bicster

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 03:19:51 PM »

if you have a spare moment could you provide directions/recipe for the poached candied pears?

i cant stop staring at those pictures......

gratzi

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »
if you have a spare moment could you provide directions/recipe for the poached candied pears?

i cant stop staring at those pictures......

gratzi

Bicster,

Thanks. This was one of the things I threw together without measuring. The cooking syrup was:

Orange Juice
Orange marmalade
Cointreau
Sugar

Almost ripe pears were peeled and halved and poached in this. Pears were removed and poaching liquid was cooked down to a thick glaze. Pears were sliced and coated with the glaze - not too much. Hope this helps.

Bill

Offline bicster

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »
Hope this helps.

Bill

very much so, thank you bill.

about how long did you have the pears in the poaching liquid before reducing?  i cant wait to try this for our halloween party!

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »
Ok, If I had it to do over I would add the candied pecans close to the end of the bake or have covered the top with foil for a bit. I should have known better. They tasted fine, but got too dark. Live and learn. Spinach, onion and spicy candied pecans.
Don

Offline Williamgag

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 08:30:49 PM »
does over caramelized onions count as candies haha  ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 06:43:39 PM »
This is my pizza for the “candy” challenge this month.  This pizza was baked in my home oven on the baking stone in the top rack position.  Toppings on this pizza are mild white cheddar cheese, papaya strips (cut up), dried cherries, cinnamon, and candied pecans.  I placed some candy corn and other candies on this pie after the bake. The combination of the crunchy candied pecans, dried cherries, papaya, candies, white mild cheddar cheese and cinnamon went well together in my opinion.

Since I really like cinnamon in so many ways and recently read this article in our local newspaper about the benefits of cinnamon, this is another reason I decided to include cinnamon in this pie.

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/298502

Pictures below

Norma
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:46:03 PM by norma427 »

buceriasdon

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »
Norma!! I love it. Just makes my smile, shame to have to cut it up. I will most certainly do a candied pecan myself again. Learned some things and my next will be better looking. When I first looked at making spicy candied pecans I have to admit it sounded a bit intimidating but turned out quite well. Not that difficult. The cinammon really works. Well done Norma.
Don
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:56:12 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 07:00:26 PM »
Norma!! I love it. Just makes my smile, shame to have to cut it up. I will most certainly do a candied pecan myself again. Learned some things and my next will be better looking. When I first looked at making spicy candied pecans I have to admit it sounded a bit intimidating but turned out quite well. Not that difficult. The cinammon really works. Well done Norma.
Don

Don,

Thanks for the kind compliments.  :)  The cinnamon really did go well with this pizza.  I bought the candied pecans at market along with the papaya and dried cherries.   :-D

Will be looking for your next post when you try again.    ;D

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 07:55:15 PM »
Ok, wait a minute. Norma, you are telling me in parts of the cilivized world you can just walk in a store and BUY candied pecans? Wow, will wonders never cease.
Tounge firmly in cheek Don

Don,

Thanks for the kind compliments.  :)  The cinnamon really did go well with this pizza.  I bought the candied pecans at market along with the papaya and dried cherries.   :-D

Will be looking for your next post when you try again.    ;D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »
Ok, wait a minute. Norma, you are telling me in parts of the cilivized world you can just walk in a store and BUY candied pecans? Wow, will wonders never cease.
Tounge firmly in cheek Don

Don,

At the market where I work, you can buy almost anything.  The market has all kinds of dried fruits and all kinds of candied nuts, plus all kind of mixes of nuts and fruits.  Sorry you can't readily purchase them where you live.  :(  At market they also sell many kinds of candy.  That is also where I purchased the candy.  I guess I forget products are different in other parts of the world.

Norma