Author Topic: Cost in Neapolitan Pizza  (Read 8670 times)

Offline hotsawce

Cost in Neapolitan Pizza
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »
We know neapolitan pizzas tend to be slightly pricey.....

But how is that cost allocated in the pizza? For example, how much weight is the caputo flour or imported tomatoes putting into the price of the pie? I'm just kind of curious to know this.

Offline PUPATELLA

Re: Cost in Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »
The largest cost of the Neapolitan pizza is not in the ingredients but in the skill of pizzaiolo.  They are tricky to produce and require years of practice - that is your biggest cost.

Offline Williamgag

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »
in a 15 $ margherita pizza you'll have usually
about 1$ of dough, 2 $ of tomatoes, about 3 to 5 $ of mozzarella, and 0,20 $ of basil, that makes about 8 $, then count all the equipement in the kitchen, the employees salary, that doesnt make a lot of profit  :P

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:27:49 PM »
about 1$ of dough, 2 $ of tomatoes, about 3 to 5 $ of mozzarella, and 0,20 $ of basil, that makes about 8 $, then count all the equipement in the kitchen, the employees salary, that doesnt make a lot of profit  :P

Where did you come up with these figures.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 04:46:46 PM »

Not even close.

Online pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 04:50:05 PM »
Whenever I've done the math, the most expensive ingredient of the night was always the wood that was heating the oven.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »
23 cents for a 265 gram dough ball made from Caputo flour.  83 cents for the sauce made from San Marzano Tomatoes.  2.50 for the cheese and probably 50 cents for oil and salt.  So I think about 4.06 would be the cost on the high side for me. If you use cheaper cheese like fresh Mozzarella from Trader Joes or Costco and regular Olive oil and Trader Joes Tomatoes as opposed to expensive ones then I would say you can get the price down to about 2.50 a pizza or less.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:01:12 PM by flyboy4ual »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »
If you use cheaper cheese like fresh Mozzarella from Trader Joes or Costco and regular Olive oil and Trader Joes Tomatoes as opposed to expensive ones then I would say you can get the price down to about 2.50 a pizza or less.

The only problem with this is that you would have no customers.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 05:06:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure $4 is still more than what it costs for a Neapolitan margherita pizza in ingrendents, not counting fuel costs and everything else. The couple times when I have put the numbers together it always came out to around $1.55 for a margherita.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 05:14:26 PM »
Good thing I am only making the cheap ones in my backyard for my friends.  They still think that they are some of the best pizza's that they have ever had. ;D

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 05:17:38 PM »
They still think that they are some of the best pizza's that they have ever had. ;D

That's all that counts. ;)

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
I'm just kind of curious how locally sourced flours and tomatoes, (and cheese, but to a lesser extent) would affect the price.

I'm gathering that much of the cost is the wood, but I also recall Jim Lahey using a gas fired earth-stone oven prior to switching to wood. Although sacrilege, perhaps it greatly affected the price of the pies.

I'm pretty sure $4 is still more than what it costs for a Neapolitan margherita pizza in ingrendents, not counting fuel costs and everything else. The couple times when I have put the numbers together it always came out to around $1.55 for a margherita.

Offline Cass

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:12:21 PM »
That's all that counts. ;)
So true!    :)
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

Offline sconosciuto

• A man of extremes
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 01:50:52 AM »
I'm gathering that much of the cost is the wood

Well what is that, what is the cost of wood if you average it out over a night of baking pies?

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 09:21:37 AM »
That's what I want to know  ???

Well what is that, what is the cost of wood if you average it out over a night of baking pies?

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 10:56:16 AM »
Is fresh mozzarella really such a "BIG" deal? If you ask me it's flavorless! :-\

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »
Is fresh mozzarella really such a "BIG" deal? If you ask me it's flavorless! :-\

So this is the Neapolitan forum, right? It seemed to me that the majority of pizzas I saw being consumed in Naples had fresh cow's milk mozzarella. The cheese was anything but tasteless. And at 900F, the texture, the smooth unctuous creaminess, was in perfect contrast to the crust and the sauce. Perhaps you have not experienced fresh mozzarella created by someone who knows what they are doing. I love the stuff from DiPalo - either completely warmed to room temp or blasted on top of of Margherita. 

Offline othafa9

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »
about $1.25-1.50 if buying wholesale.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 12:26:59 PM »
You have a habit of not contributing much to a discussion. What you said is not, at all, relevant here.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 03:14:15 PM »
You have a habit of not contributing much to a discussion. What you said is not, at all, relevant here.

Sorry to disappoint you hotsauce, if you want to know how much things cost then do a little research of your own! ???

pizzapan