Author Topic: Cost in Neapolitan Pizza  (Read 8657 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: Cost in Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »
Precisely why I posted in the "shop talk" sub-forum, where there was a healthy discussion going on until you trolled.

Sorry to disappoint you hotsauce, if you want to know how much things cost then do a little research of your own! ???

Offline sconosciuto

• A man of extremes
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 05:21:23 PM »
Ok this has gotten a bit off topic and I still don't see where cost of wood has been discussed.  I don't have a WFO and I'm curious what is costs to run one.  Any of the WFO folks want to share what they pay for X amount of wood and what period of time X amount of wood will fire their oven?? 

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
I got a full cord of 2 year seasoned Oak for $450. I would bet if you bought in bulk they would give you a discount(10 cords+?). I have been making pizza since the beginning of July 2010 in the WFO and have used about 1/3 of the cord maybe a little more. I fire the oven twice a week each time making 10 pizzas, so about 240 give or take. Sometimes I would make NY pies so it would be less. So if you went off of that a full cord would get you about 720 pizzas(240x3). Now I'm not saying this is what you would be doing in a professional setting because you are going to be constantly using wood to keep a fire going for hours of service. My 2 cents.

Bill, Marc, Matt, have any wisdom. You guys have had ovens way longer than I have. How much wood do you guys use?

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
Wood cost is gonna be VERY location dependent and rely on other factors.  I live in the far North East suburbs of Detroit right where it is starting to get rural.  Lots of people have gone to wood heat in the area over the last 10 years, and wood is for sale every couple hundred feet on the side of the road.  I can buy a cord of seasoned hardwood for $100 or less.  If I was doing it on a commercial scale I have a friend who runs a tree service who can supply me with all the free hardwood I could ever user and I would simply season it myself and in a few years times when it is ready I would have no wood costs. 

As for consumption... that is gonna depend on the type and size of the oven and the temp you want to maintain.  I'd zero in on an oven and then talk to others using it for this.
-Jeff

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »
1 full cord of seasoned oak/pecan mix, delivered, not stacked = $350. I go through about 2 cords per year, but I also use this wood in my BBQ pit and indoor fireplace. I recall doing a rough calculation once and came up with $5-10 per firing, depending on ambient temps. Fuzzy on the details. My use is strictly residential. If I were doing this for profit, I'm sure I could come up with less expensive fuel sources.

I try to get the most out of each firing, roasting meats and baking breads with the residual heat.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 09:28:08 PM »
Member RoadPizza was kind enough to bring the following article to my attention: http://nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2009/57896/. The article is a little over a year old and the prices are New York prices, but I think the article nonetheless offers some useful insights on the pricing of Neapolitan style pizzas. I believe that there is a typo on the oil used at Motorino's. I think it should be the Frantoia olive oil: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QV18US/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Peter

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 10:21:49 PM »
Peter that article on the costs is great. That Frantoia oil is great as well. I was using it before I got the California Olive Ranch oil which is awesome, especially the Arbequina oil.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »
Member RoadPizza was kind enough to bring the following article to my attention: http://nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2009/57896/. The article is a little over a year old and the prices are New York prices, but I think the article nonetheless offers some useful insights on the pricing of Neapolitan style pizzas. I believe that there is a typo on the oil used at Motorino's. I think it should be the Frantoia olive oil: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QV18US/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Peter

COST OF A MARGHERITA PIE:
Fior di Latte mozzarella: $1.00
San Marzano tomatoes: $0.40
Caputo 00 soft-grain dough from Napoli: $0.32
Sicilian sea salt: $0.01
La Frontoin extra-virgin olive oil from Sicily: $1
Pecorino-Romano: $0.41
Raw Israeli basil: $0.50
Total . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3.64/pie
Cost to customer . . . . . . . . . . . .$10
Markup per pie . . . . . . . . . . . .$6.36

1 dollar for OIL!??? this is not right.. so lets bring that down to 10cents. and we have around $2.75 a pie. which is about right.
A pizza should not cost you more than 3 dollars, also the Basil seems expensive and so does the Pecorino. so actually I 'm thinking you can get the price down to around 2 - 2.50 easy.

three cords per month, $375 per cord @ motorino.
so a little over $1000 bucks in wood a month!
making around 5.800 pizzas month.

they charging 10 bucks pie???? WOW Anthony was charging 20 bucks..

anyway we can't be sure on this figures.. I don't know how the guy got all these figures. what he just rocked into Palombino's office and said can you break it down for me?  ::)

to the OP
to really save on money, always buy in bulk, look for specials and stack up! ring all the distributors and get the best price.
BUT what ever you do.. NEVER buy cheap quality ingredients. just search around you will be surprised that not all distributors charge the same, some are 20% more than others, and that effects the bottom line.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 11:01:43 PM »
Paulie Gee replied to this article at Slice, writing:"$90,000 annual profit at Motorino? Who do they think we are, the IRS?" 

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/07/quote-of-the-day-one-for-you-nineteen-for-me.html

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 11:19:04 AM »

1 dollar for OIL!??? this is not right.

If they truly are using Frantoia, then the amount may be correct. I use this oil exclusively for all of my cooking, dressing, pizza, etc. and it is around $23 a bottle shipped (from Pennmac - I buy a case at a time). If I forget to place an order, and I buy at Whole Foods, it is $30 per bottle.

I think this article is fascinating though. One thing to consider is the annual revenue stated is for pizza only, and not including beverages, apps, etc. I am sure the total revenue for the one restaurant is significantly higher.

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »
 here are some wholesale costs that may help.   imported plum tomatoes 6/10 23.95 3000 grams per can, caputo 25 kg 29.90 kosher salt 25 pounds 4.99 . an ok evoo gem 6/1 gallon 97.00. basil 8.60 per pound . locatelli romano 8.39 per pound. reggiano parm 10.29 per pound  [both middle quality cheeses]. 20 pounds of cheese curd 56.25. grande fior di latte 3 pounds 12.20 12/4 oz per container. see if this helps with actual pizza costing.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 12:50:39 PM »
sorry, forgot a high ticket ingredient fresh yeast .99 per pound

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »
I do not think it is proper accounting to use fuel cost for a food-cost calcualtion, I feel that fuel wood would be better put in the "operations Cost" category.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 01:32:05 AM »
I got a full cord of 2 year seasoned Oak for $450. I would bet if you bought in bulk they would give you a discount(10 cords+?). I have been making pizza since the beginning of July 2010 in the WFO and have used about 1/3 of the cord maybe a little more.

Can you post a pic of the Full cord, just so I can see what it looks like for the price and the quantity.
thanks...

Offline pacoast

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 03:09:21 AM »
Each picture below is one cord. A cord is 128 ft³ e.g. a 4' x 4' x 8' stack of wood.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 06:56:56 AM »
Each picture below is one cord. A cord is 128 ft³ e.g. a 4' x 4' x 8' stack of wood.

thanks a lot , really appreciate that thanks...

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »
I don't know if it's my eyes but I got a full cord and it looks more than that, maybe 1.5 of that picture.

Offline pacoast

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 06:48:18 PM »
I don't know if it's my eyes but I got a full cord and it looks more than that, maybe 1.5 of that picture.
A cord is a volume measurement. If your wood is stacked, you can measure it. If the width x length x depth (in feet) totals more than 128.. then you have a generous vendor.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »
Wait forget it the way I was look at the picture was wrong... That looks like the amount I got in the first picture.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 10:09:51 PM »
so based on motorinos stats

three cords per month, $375 per cord @ motorino.
so a little over $1000 bucks in wood a month!
making around 5.800 pizzas month.

so 5800 pizzas a month lets divide that by 30 days, thats almost 200 a day.

so one cord at 375 dollars will make 1900 pizzas a month which will make 63 pizzas a day, correct?
at a cost of 375 per cord divided by 63,  thats roughly 12 bucks a day in wood cost, and at 63 pizzas a day works out to be
roughly 20 cents a pie?
am I calculating this right?

math wasn't my strong point in school hahahaha

pizzapan