Author Topic: Grande whole milk mozzarella vs Sam's Club whole milk shredded mozz  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Been hearing a lot about how a lot of pizzerias are using Grande mozz, so I ordered some from Penn Mac to try it out.   I ordered 2lbs of the block Grande whole milk mozz and it came cold and not frozen. 

I also bought some Sam's club shredded mozzarella.  I believe this stuff I bought is whole milk mozz as well but i can't remember and I don't have the packaging anymore.  I usually buy whole mik mozz and not part skim, so if it was part skim, I'm sure I would remember. 

Tasting the cheese cold, I would say that the Grande has a better richer flavor.   After the bake, both my wife and I preferred the SC mozz over the Grande.  We both picked the SC mozz over the Grande on 2 different bakes.  It seems to oil off a bit sooner, stretches better, and I just like the taste more.  Don't know why, just do.   

After the cool down, the Grande seems to be a  bit more rubbery. 

First pie is the Grande.  2nd is the SC mozz.  This pie does look a bit more oily but it's likely from the pepperoni rather than the cheese. 

Offline PizzaVera

Re: Grande whole milk mozzarella vs Sam's Club whole milk shredded mozz
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »
nice crust

I'm getting hungry! I love Pepperoni!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 11:24:09 PM »
for availability i think SC cheeses are by far the best you can buy that aren't special order.   plus i love the final product, and i've used SC cheese in many many recipes from pizza to pastas to just eating the cheese straight up  :-D
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 12:01:41 AM »
Jackie, I have many times mentioned on the forum that grande is beaten in taste tests by much cheaper cheeses.   This is not uncommon at all.    Grande is very resistant to burning, and one of the best and most even melters I have found. It also really reheats well in my opinion.  Strangely I have found that the skim milk variety seems to taste better than the whole milk, but I know this doesnt make sense.  Maybe I have just had weird luck with getting green whole milk and non green part skim.    Grande does not have the shelf life of many other cheeses, so it is more prone to being too fresh (green) without developed flavor.   It sounds like your sams club cheese must really be good!     
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:06:41 AM by scott r »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I noticed the same that the Grande is very heat resistant.  Also may explain why it seems to cool fast and be abit more rubbery. 

I'm not sure if the SC's stuff would stack up against other top brands, but I thought it did taste better than the Grande on several occassions.  It also just seems to work well and has a good taste.  I'm glad that I can get it locally for cheap. 

My next comparison would have to be the SC's stuff against TJ's whole milk mozz, another one of my favorites.  I also can't recall the name, but I also get a mexican brand mozz that is very good.  I'll have to remember to jot it down next time. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:04:44 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline jkb

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
Those pies are different.  Did you compare them on two pies that were prepared exactly the same?  I would also swap which pie is baked first.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:38:51 PM »
Those pies are different.  Did you compare them on two pies that were prepared exactly the same?  I would also swap which pie is baked first.

The 2 pies aren't really that different.  Both are the same dough.  I topped half of one with pepperoni and half of the other with some leftover sunburst cherry tomatoes.  The taste test was done only on the cheese halves of the pies.   The pies had the same sauce and crust so the only difference was the cheese.   

The Grande pie was baked first but I made a point to take the picture as soon as it came out of the oven and then also did the taste test while the pies were hot. 

I also did 2 taste test with 2 different bakes.  Only I knew which was which and my wife didn't.  Both times, she favored the Sam's Club cheese as I did myself. 

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »
the SC whole milk mozz is what I have been using for awhile now as well..cheap and tastes good..can't ask for much more!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 10:14:08 PM »
Chau,
The only time I had Grande Cheese was at a Pizza place.Never had it at home to test not had Sams club version.

The best cheese thus far for me to obtain/use is Sorrento's whole milk mozz I can find at a Food Lion supermarket store.I have tried Polly O,Kraft(part skim block,tastes a little swiss at times)and a few other weird brand names that I did not care for...I will say Grande at the pizza place was nice but I have not had it enough outside a hot fresh pizza I ate right away to see the changes they might have.

I also have tried walmarts Great Value whole milk mozz and thats not too bad either.Do not know if that might be a branch off the Sams version..do you know if they are?

I will try the SC's version as soon as I can.Just want to make sure its not the same as the great value brand I can get at wally world.

-Bill

pizzapan