Author Topic: frozen Bufala  (Read 1723 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
frozen Bufala
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:53:59 AM »
i got a case of frozen Lupara Bufala Mozzarella after reading about it here.  i usually use one called Euro Pomella that's $10/7oz.  i can also get the garofalo at WF for a little less but i don't like it quite as well.  I got the Lupara from a wholesale guy who did me a favor by sending a single case.  they usually send pallets in freezer trucks but he overnighted it with dry ice. I'll report back after i try it tonight. 

Offline Matthew

Re: frozen Bufala
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »
i got a case of frozen Lupara Bufala Mozzarella after reading about it here.  i usually use one called Euro Pomella that's $10/7oz.  i can also get the garofalo at WF for a little less but i don't like it quite as well.  I got the Lupara from a wholesale guy who did me a favor by sending a single case.  they usually send pallets in freezer trucks but he overnighted it with dry ice. I'll report back after i try it tonight. 

I have been using Lupara for quite some time now & prefer it over the so called "fresh".

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »
I have been using Lupara for quite some time now & prefer it over the so called "fresh".
how many pies can you make with one tub 7oz ?

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:26:19 PM »
'bout 3...

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »
'bout 3...

emmm pricey, factor in logistics run you about $2.50- $3.00 bucks a pie.

but still, in a professional setting thats not too bad, of course that price would come down when buying in bulk.
but still fresh Bufula can charge a little extra for the pie. they do that here where I live.

do you guys experience any water on the pies? how do you prepare the cheese? let it thaw , drain the water, break it open let it sit etc...??? I've heard preparing the cheese is something which needs to be done to prevent a soggy pie..

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »
I don't have much trouble with wet pizza, even with buffala in the WFO.  I cut the Lupara up more tonight and had better luck with the consistency.
The cost of the Lupara was more shipping than cheese for my case.  if you bought by the pallet it would be maybe $5/ball. 

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
I don't have much trouble with wet pizza, even with buffala in the WFO.  I cut the Lupara up more tonight and had better luck with the consistency.
The cost of the Lupara was more shipping than cheese for my case.  if you bought by the pallet it would be maybe $5/ball. 

so you just take it straight out of the packet and straight onto the pie? you don't drain it, let it sit for a hour or so or anything special like that?

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:35:33 AM »
I usually just dump the water out and go straight to the pie, either cutting it into cubes or ribbons or just ripping it apart.  the Lupara worked better with ribbons.