Author Topic: First Cracker attempt  (Read 1544 times)

Offline witchy1

First Cracker attempt
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:35:17 PM »
I have been reading around and decided to give the cracker style crust a try as my "first real pizza". I have been making pizza for years, but the dough has been from "Grandmam's Basic Bread Dough" which has been used in the family for years (like 80+) for everything that uses a dough (except biscuits). I used the following recipe with a few modifications based on what I had on hand (equipment wise) and what I've read here. I can;t find the original post for this recipe, so I can't credit the poster but here it is...

This is the recipe I use for a cracker crust--the crust it produces is crisp, yet tender, at the same time! It can be modified with varying amounts of oil--the more oil, the more mouth-filling it becomes (of course you lose a bit of the crackeriness!). I happen to use the bread machine, because it's easiest for me, but you can just as well use a mixer on low, or make it by hand.

1 cup AP
7 TBS water
1 tsp oil
1 tsp fast-rise yeast
3/4-1 tsp Kosher salt (25% less if using table salt)
1/2 tsp sugar

Put all in appliance except for 25% of the flour. Mix for two minutes, then let stand for 30 minutes (autolyse). Then, if you are using a bread machine, turn it on and let it cycle to "knead". Knead for 7 minutes. Halfway through the knead, add the remaining flour a little at a time. After the knead, let it stand for 15 minutes.

Take the dough ball out, knead it with some bench flour for 30 seconds or so (it will be a bit sticky), coat it with oil and let it rise for two hours (I put mine in a slightly warmed oven--I turn it on 200 for a minute, then turn it off). When it has risen, punch it down, and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. Then roll it out with a rolling pin (your home sheeter!) as thinly as you possibly can (I roll mine to fit a 12-inch cutter pan) and top the pizza. Some people like to dock their cracker crust, but I find that this destroys a lot of the crackeriness (my favorite thin crust pizza place doesn't dock).

Preheat the oven to 450. I don't like to use a stone (but if you enjoy the stone experience, then by all means do so!), so I cover the pizza with foil, and put it on the lowest rack until the bottom starts to take on color, then move it to the top, still covered, until the bottom finishes cooking. Then remove the foil and let the top cook (it goes fast!).

As I said, this will produce a crackery thin crust (the thinner you can roll it out, the better), yet still tender to the bite. And you can add varying amounts of oil to appeal to your individual taste (a ratio of 3 TBS oil: 1 cup flour will produce a Giordano's-style thin crust, for example). The more oil you put in the recipe, the longer it will take to rise. For example, when I make a Home Run Inn-stlye pizza, I use 4 TBS oil per cup of flour, and it takes four hours to rise!

Like I said, I can;t find the original post, just copied and pasted to print out. I made a few modifications to suit me... I had to hand mix and kneed and I did dock the dough and I rolled it out in a (roughly) 13x16 rectangle. I parbaked the crust on foil on a pampered chef rectangular stone in a 475 oven for 5 minutes then used the foil to lift it out and then dressed it w/sauce, kraft shredded moz, mushrooms, diced green peppers, and pepperoni. Put back into a 450 oven for 3 minutes on the stone and then cut and ate. Not bad for a first attempt, in my opinion...

Offline witchy1

Re: First Cracker attempt
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »
Here's some pics of it... sorry they're blurry...  :-[

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »
witchy1,

The recipe you quoted belongs to member buzz, and was posted at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11961.msg111735/topicseen.html#msg111735.

Peter

Offline witchy1

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 08:01:08 PM »
Thanks Peter! I knew it was around here somewhere, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember exactly where I found it or who posted it, I think I have dough recipe/formulation overload right now...  ??? I have been looking at so many of them over the last few days, that they have run together.

Andrea

Offline witchy1

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »
Well, I tried the recipe again last night to see if I could replicate the results... I did, but somehow my pampered chef stone cracked... just split in half right under my pie...  :( My oven was only on 475 - I've baked with it at that temp (and higher) before and there was no moisture to go on the stone (baked on foil again) do I can't figure out what happened. Sigh...

But, necessity being the mother of invention, since I have no money to replace it, I was in the dollar store and saw those splatter guards... you know the window screen looking stuff that is in a steel ring to keep sauces or grease from getting everywhere? Well, they had one with the knob on top instead of the handle on the side. I got that, took off the knob and voila! Cheapy little 10 inch pizza screen for only a dollar. Works pretty good too... I made up some of the cracker dough and did pretty much the same as before - minus the foil... I played with the dough a bit and hand formed it so it had a lip and put on the screen. Par-baked for a few minutes then dressed and finished the baking... it turned out great!!!

The pizza is on the screen in the pic below. The pizza is about 8 inches and thicker than a cracker should probably be, but it turned out very good.

pizzapan