Author Topic: Ripiena Pizza in Teglia con Friarelli  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Matthew

Ripiena Pizza in Teglia con Friarelli
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:34:24 PM »
Pizza in Teglia stuffed with Rapini. 

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ripiena Pizza in Teglia con Friarelli
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »
Beautiful! For as long as I can remember, my family has been making this type of ripieno, using escarole, calamata olives and pecorino - and it looks exactly like yours. Funny, I have never seen it done by anyone before.

John

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:39:55 PM »
Matt,

That pizza looks awesome. Great job, bro!

Kale might also make a great filling, come to think of it.  :chef:
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:55:50 PM »
Pizza in Teglia stuffed with Rapini. 

Your Pizza in Teglia stuffed with Rapini looks delicious.   :)  I never saw a pizza like that before.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:50:48 PM »
I really want to try this pizza, I think I would love it.  Beautiful too!   Is there any special technique to making the rapini/stuffing.     I am assumed it is sauteed first?   Yum!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:52:25 PM by scott r »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 05:38:38 AM »
I really want to try this pizza, I think I would love it.  Beautiful too!   Is there any special technique to making the rapini/stuffing.     I am assumed it is sauteed first?   Yum!

Hey Scott,
I saw Gabriele Bonci (Pizzarium) make this a while back on RAI Italian & had to try it.  I made up the formula which was basically, 50/50 semola/bread flour,  5% starter (water weight), 2.5% salt & a about a tablespoon of olive oil.  The total batch size was about 980 grams.  I started with around 68% hydration & added a tiny bit more flour until it came together.  If I would of made a larger batch there would of been no need for the extra flour. After the dough had fermented I pushed the dough out to the approximate size of the pan using semolina to prevent it from sticking then I picked it up & transferred it to an un-oiled baking sheet where I pulled it a bit to get it to fit the pan.  The dough was very tender & extremely strong; stretched & retained its shaped beautiful.  I topped it with raw rapini; no salt no oil.  Exactly as Gabriele did it.  Then I covered it with the remaining portion of dough.  Oiled it lightly & sprinkled some coarse Sicilian Sea Salt.  Baked for about 20 minutes at 450.  Honestly Scott, one of the best things that I've ever eaten.  The rapini cooked beautifully inside the dough still maintaining a beautiful green colour & that subtle bitterness contrasted beautifully with the slight tang of the dough.
Try it, you'll love it!

Matt

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:38:45 PM »
Looks like a fine expression of an exotic pizza style (love the brown leopard spots, which I know taste as good as they photograph).

A variant exists in which the dough is wrapped around the rapini in a cone, almost like a souvlaki (I've seen it at the Pizzarium clone joint near where I live).

I wonder if and how the standard, rectangular version would work stuffed with cheese and cold cuts instead of the green stuff. Kind of like a hybrid of a Sicilian and a stromboli, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Great job.

-JLP 
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline Matthew

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 06:30:08 AM »
I wonder if and how the standard, rectangular version would work stuffed with cheese and cold cuts instead of the green stuff. Kind of like a hybrid of a Sicilian and a stromboli, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Great job.

-JLP 

Thanks Jose.  You could do a single layer thicker version of the above (which is essence is a focaccia) & then once it's fully baked & cools slightly, slice it in half & fill it with cheese & cold cults.  Baking it with the cold cuts in between would just steam them. 

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
Man that looks awesome.  I've neveer seen anything like it but I love the crumb in profile set against the dark gren of the rapini.

Inspiring.  I will make it!

AZ