Author Topic: Red Grape Tomatoes used in New Haven style pizza?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline pizzasf

Red Grape Tomatoes used in New Haven style pizza?
« on: April 13, 2008, 11:40:24 PM »
I am a big fan of New Haven style pizza, and love the sort of pizza made at places like Pepe's in Wooster st. The sauce is chunky and delicious, and I always assumed that it was rough chopped San Marzano's

Read an article on Sfgate today, that referenced a place in Sonoma that claims to make New Haven style pizza. They use Red Grape tomatoes:

"Sam Morphy lived for a time in Connecticut, and when he came back to Sonoma County, he saw the need for the thin-crust New Haven style pizza. Just off the square in Sonoma, he opened the Red Grape, a name that refers to the variety of tomatoes often used for the sauce, rather than vineyards people might suspect."

Does anyone have any more info on this? Never heard of pizza sauce being made from this type of tomato. Would this be authentic?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/category?blogid=26&cat=1398

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Red Grape Tomatoes used in New Haven style pizza?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:46:16 AM »
I know what pepe's and sally's use for sauce and it is definitely not those tomatoes.   Pepe's uses an Italian (non san marzano) canned tomato, and Sally's uses a typical canned California tomato that you would find in any street corner NY style pizzeria.  I don't want to disclose brands, but that should get you looking in the right direction.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 12:51:35 AM »
Also, just thinking about this more, Neither Pepe's or Sally's use a chunky sauce.  When was the last time you were there?  It could be that at one time they did, but in the past 5 or 6 years it has been a puree.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:07:23 PM »
Scott
Right again...I've NEVER seen any NH places using CHUNKY tomatoes, except Harry's.....