Author Topic: pizza napoletana With GAS oven's in Napoli! anyone seen one?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline PizzaVera

pizza napoletana With GAS oven's in Napoli! anyone seen one?
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:24:36 AM »
just curious if anyone in Naples actually use gas ovens to make Pizzas?
I mean wood can't be cheap in Italy..

anyone seen a Gas oven in operation in Naples?

Offline Matthew

Re: pizza napoletana With GAS oven's in Napoli! anyone seen one?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:42:30 AM »
just curious if anyone in Naples actually use gas ovens to make Pizzas?
I mean wood can't be cheap in Italy..

anyone seen a Gas oven in operation in Naples?

The main reason for the big coffin wood scandal.  Wood is alot cheaper than gas & electricity in Italy.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:06:18 AM »
The main reason for the big coffin wood scandal.  Wood is alot cheaper than gas & electricity in Italy.

wow, they must be cutting down so many trees.. and the amount of wood used in Naples must be millions of trees a year...
emmm wonder if the wood is imported from east europe?

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »
I never believed the coffin wood scandal for a minute.
Think about it...digging up a grave, and selling what is surely wet, nasty, mold covered wood...I call B.S
If you read the article where this all started, it is nothing but speculation, and a "confirmation" from someone that has no first hand knowledge of the wood actually being used.

Sounds like the same type of intelligence gathering we used to "prove" Saddam had WMD's

<<Il Giornale, a daily Italian paper, has recently reported that local police in Napes “think many restaurant owners across the notoriously lawless port are purchasing cut-price wood from a gang of coffin thieves operating in the city” and using that wood to fire up pizza and bread ovens. The article went further to say that “Andrea Santoro, president of the city’s cemetery commission, said: ‘It’s no wonder these things are happening given the state of the cemeteries. There are graves uncovered, thefts and vandalism.’>>

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:21:46 PM »
I never believed the coffin wood scandal for a minute.
Think about it...digging up a grave, and selling what is surely wet, nasty, mold covered wood...I call B.S
If you read the article where this all started, it is nothing but speculation, and a "confirmation" from someone that has no first hand knowledge of the wood actually being used.

Sounds like the same type of intelligence gathering we used to "prove" Saddam had WMD's

<<Il Giornale, a daily Italian paper, has recently reported that local police in Napes “think many restaurant owners across the notoriously lawless port are purchasing cut-price wood from a gang of coffin thieves operating in the city” and using that wood to fire up pizza and bread ovens. The article went further to say that “Andrea Santoro, president of the city’s cemetery commission, said: ‘It’s no wonder these things are happening given the state of the cemeteries. There are graves uncovered, thefts and vandalism.’>>

I didn't say that I believe it; I'm just stating a fact.

Matt

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:29:50 PM »
No to start an argument, but what is the point of stating as a  "fact", something that you yourself don't even believe ?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
No to start an argument, but what is the point of stating as a  "fact", something that you yourself don't even believe ?

Whatever...Sorry, let me be clear; the fact is :Il Giornale, a daily Italian paper, has recently reported that local police.......  Is that better? 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:14:56 PM by Matthew »

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:18:37 AM »
Damn I was excited for a minute when I saw there were some replies to this thread, but to only find a DEAD END! LOL

coffins.. well I'm sure it happened, but like all news, its distorted. I'm guessing, some wood was dug up from a grave and someone tried to sell it off to a wood distributor. small case, which got big press and blown out of proportion.

but what a cool name for a pizza..
THE DEAD MANS PIE!   
coffin wood earthed in Neapolitan soil soaking up  a true Neapolitan man  aged for 30 years for the true aromatic Napoletan flavor.
 then cooked in a Stefano Ferrara oven for VERA PIZZA NAPOLETANA! boun Appitito!  ;D

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »
Italian pizza places are lucky though, cause they certainly don't build houses with them.  Its rock, rock rock.  If youre rich, you can have wooden staircases.  Otherwise its marble and tile.  I hated that about italy.  Every try to relax in a living room made of marble, floor tile, cement and brick??  Wood IS scarce in ITaly, thats for sure.