Author Topic: Ischia Activation - Stinky!  (Read 2661 times)

parallei

Ischia Activation - Stinky!
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »
I figured Iíd document an activation that isnít going so well.  It is an Ischia from Sourdoughs International.  The picís below show my setup and results.

After 12 hours at 90 degís things looked a bit active, but smelled fine.  After 24 hours at 90 degís it looked very active and smelled like, well, maybe oneís socks after two weeks in the field.  Not good.  So I washed it and am trying again.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Ischia Activation - Stinky!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:06:54 PM »
Parallei,

I had the same issue with the SD starter. After two days it smelled like aged parmesan cheese or Limburger. I think the washing you did was premature, though.

I kept feeding it and it normalized and the smell went away and now the starter is active as hell. I think the smell is part of an imbalance in the early stages between bacteria and yeast.

Anyway, keep feeding.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

parallei

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:24:26 PM »
Mike,

I may have jumped the gun on the wash, but the smell was BAD.  Cheese like, and maybe some sort of mercaptan in there to spice things up :o

I'll keep feeding.....

Thanks

Paul

cornicione54

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »
The stink is leuconostoc bacteria on overdrive (usually accompanied by significant gluten degradation). It's not unusual for a culture to show this within 48 hours of initiating.

Mike is spot-on about sticking with the program and continuing to feed as normal.
As the pH drops in the culture, the leuconostoc-fest inevitably gives way to regular Lb growth which in turn encourages yeast propagation.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:29:05 PM »
The stink is leuconostoc bacteria on overdrive (usually accompanied by significant gluten degradation). It's not unusual for a culture to show this within 48 hours of initiating.

Mike is spot-on about sticking with the program and continuing to feed as normal.
As the pH drops in the culture, the leuconostoc-fest inevitably gives way to regular Lb growth which in turn encourages yeast propagation.

Couldn't have said it better myself...just the exact words I was searching for in my prior post  ;D

Paul,

It'll recover but may take more time to become fully active until the lids blow off.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

parallei

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:21:04 PM »
O.K., I washed it and after 24 hours @ 85 deg or so it smelled better.  Still a bit of the cheese thing but more nutty with a hint of acetone.  So I feed it.  It grew a couple of inches in 2 hours and out of the jar in 4 hours (all at room temp).  Something is activated!

Still doesn't smell as good as I'd like it to.  So do I wash again, or like some have suggested, just continue feeding?  I'll split it if I feed again now (I need to hit the sack!).

Thoughts anyone?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 03:54:37 AM »
O.K., I washed it and after 24 hours @ 85 deg or so it smelled better.  Still a bit of the cheese thing but more nutty with a hint of acetone.  So I feed it.  It grew a couple of inches in 2 hours and out of the jar in 4 hours (all at room temp).  Something is activated!

Still doesn't smell as good as I'd like it to.  So do I wash again, or like some have suggested, just continue feeding?  I'll split it if I feed again now (I need to hit the sack!).

Thoughts anyone?

To me it looks like it's ready to be refrigerated and or used.  If you're unsure on the smell then taste it.  If you think it tastes bad then wash it.

Matt

parallei

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:48:36 AM »
I split it into two quart jars and feed before I hit the sack last night. This a.m., they had both blown out the top. Smell o.k. and the taste at this point is really just acidic. Feed them again; I'll probably put them to sleep this evening.  I'm hoping it grows less acidic with time.

Thanks for the tips.

Paralleli

Offline sparkyjt

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
its funny you said acetone.  I have made several starters, none that really went crazy untill this week.  I think maybe temps werent quite right as I alway tried in the winter.  The one I have going now smells like straight grain alcohol and Im a little scared to taste it.  Is the super alcohol smell normal? I have never gotten a really great taste either.  I am hoping that this is what I was supposed to be getting all this time.  Any thoughts?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
its funny you said acetone.  I have made several starters, none that really went crazy untill this week.  I think maybe temps werent quite right as I alway tried in the winter.  The one I have going now smells like straight grain alcohol and Im a little scared to taste it.  Is the super alcohol smell normal? I have never gotten a really great taste either.  I am hoping that this is what I was supposed to be getting all this time.  Any thoughts?

I would think a strong grain alcohol smell would be a good thing. That's what the yeast do.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »

this thread helped me a lot in my activation to overcome the doubts within the first 48 stinky hours.
Just to reconfirm other newbies to Starters/Inschia Starters to keep cool.
- I sticked to the exact instructions of Ed Wood
- the first 48 hours were very stinky, sour (i tasted) and i got nervous as everyone new to the subject
- i sticked to the regime thanks to the forum and especially encouraged in this thread, that the stinky rotten smell in the first 48 h is not unusual
- splitted the culture, kept on feeding 1 cup of flour and 3/4 cup of water at 70F
- instead of discarding i splitted the culture to 4 jars and two kept on feeding like normal, one i washed then feeded and one i put lemon juice and feeded
- after two days the stinky smell disappeared
- now after 4 days three of the starters are doing well and growing after the feeding
- only one is not growing, still smelling good, but no foam development, so i put it back to 90 to acidify a bit and will bring back to 70F tomorrow.

Now finally, they are all basically smelling fresh, a scent of apple and a bit alcohol, sour in taste and growing after the last feeding.

even i am not an expert, i want to encourage everyone who is in doubt to keep sticking to the regime as instructed and not wash or panic too early. You can always discard the excess into a new jar, wash this and proof at 90F and try different things in my opinion while keeping the original close to the instructions.

thanks to all
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:43:05 PM by Martino1 »
Pizza is the only dish perfect for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, late night snack ;-)

pizzapan