Author Topic: Wood Burning oven for home  (Read 2894 times)

Offline forzaroma

Wood Burning oven for home
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:26:27 PM »
Was just wondering how any memebers have bougt or built a wood fire oven for their home? If so how much did it run and was it worth every penny?

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: Wood Burning oven for home
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:12:43 PM »
i have 1, i need to calculate how much it coast because a live in Brazil, is it worth every penny ? YES !!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »
Do u keep it in urbackyard some place and did someone teach you howto use it? Did you build it yourself?

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »
   I built a pompei 42" from scratch & estimate materials at aprrox $2000. Thats if I bought everything & how you decide how nice you want the exterior to look.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »
well, i live in a apartment, so i build it in my parents backyard, its a pre molded that a mason finished up for me...

there is a tread... ill try too find it and post it here...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline utahdave

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »
I have an Artegiano 100 from Forno Bravo.  They run about $4,200 plus shipping and install.  It is a lot but it is a beautiful oven and makes great pizza.  I love it.

David

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:30:25 AM »
   I built a pompei 42" from scratch & estimate materials at aprrox $2000. Thats if I bought everything & how you decide how nice you want the exterior to look.

How difficult was it to build yourself? is it in you yard?

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 08:36:52 AM »
I have an Artegiano 100 from Forno Bravo.  They run about $4,200 plus shipping and install.  It is a lot but it is a beautiful oven and makes great pizza.  I love it.

David

Wow that looks amazing. Is that your kitchen or is that some other room in your house? Did they take care of the exhaust to get the smoke outside?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
Utah , That is Beautiful!! I built mine  myself and  worth every penny and every BITE : Price is not the object Its the quality product you make yourself and share with others. The engine or Kit for the oven is the most expensive part of the build $3500-$5000 for residential? What you do on the exterior is limitless.  I am still working on my CPP (cost per pie) I may have done around 500 or more so far so thats about $50 per pie + ingredients! I promise to have an ingredient only cost at some point. Other Members such as Bill SFNM are probably - $ negative CPP he cooks so many and so much more then just pizza.
Here are a few shots of the build process. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7338.0.html   You need basic Carpenter and mason skill to take on such a project. along with A lot of Time. If you don't want to build one or don't have the time Forno Bravo offers some neat little ovens That come to your door ready to set up and use. Just plop it on the deck cure it and you are ready to make great pizza  as shown here. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11914.0.html  A bit messy for indoors but I would do it in my next kitchen for sure. This way You can see if you enjoy it really use it, and allways resell those little beauties if you plan to go in deeper to the abyss and create your own Pizza sanctuary ;D
John
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:40:32 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 11:06:25 AM »
I think I might buy the Primavera 60 not too expensive and I think will get the job done.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
Very much worth every penny in terms of satisfaction and enjoyment. In strict terms of ROI, not sure how I would calculate it, but very sure I don't want to even think about CPP - even amortized over countless meals. Material costs minor compared to the investment in time to research, plan, build, and learn - depending on how you value your time.  

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 11:32:50 AM »
Very much worth every penny in terms of satisfaction and enjoyment. In strict terms of ROI, not sure how I would calculate it, but very sure I don't want to even think about CPP - even amortized over countless meals. Material costs minor compared to the investment in time to research, plan, build, and learn - depending on how you value your time.  

Well to me I dont look at in in terms of cost per pie. I think my family and I will get enjoyment out of it and my wife will be happy that im not messing with the oven and making huge mess any longer. I think the primavera 60 is pretty easy to put together.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
It is all a matter of degree.  Mine cost more in beer than in materials, but I work in the industry and scavenged for years before I got around to building. For the central Texas area, I have calculated the costs for the actual oven itself, including insulation, but not the stand or finish to be  $587.55, plus tax, using the material list for the Forno Bravo plans for the 42" oven.

Offline carbon

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 01:35:46 PM »
Well to me I dont look at in in terms of cost per pie.
True that.  And considering the oven can be used for cooking lots of other things, not just pies, it's worth the investment.

Offline utahdave

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
forzaroma,

The oven is a covered patio attached to the back of the house.  There is a flue in front of the oven, behind the brick and rock facade to vent out the smoke.  If any smoke gets out the front I have a blower above the adjacent BBQ grill to get rid of it.

David

Offline Dugzapig

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »
I just finished building one in my backyard. I am new here, from Canada, do not know the full cost yet.

I will need to get some posts in before I can link the photos

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
I will need to get some posts in before I can link the photos

Welcome. You can post photos now by using the "Attach" option at the bottom of the posting panel. This is the only way to directly post photos in this forum whether you are a newbie or an old-hand.

Online Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »
I built my 42"Pompeii in my back yard this past summer using the Forno Bravo plans.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11155.0.html
 I think I've spent just about $1,000 at this point just to get it functional. (I'll work on the exterior finish next year)This includes the foundation, the block stand and the oven itself. I'm still learning how to use it but so far I really love it and don't regret a single penny spent.

Offline MSK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 08:42:12 AM »
I just moved to a new house and as part of that I built a full outdoor kitchen, my dream.  So its tough to specifically say how much it cost.

What I will say, even if it cost 2x what I paid, it is worth it.  The pizza is awesome, and its alot easier to learn than I thought.  Especially with amazing resources like this community.  People who come to my house and eat pizza are amazed.  I just recently catered my Mother-in-lars 65th B-day with it too.

I learned everything I needed about building a fire from reading stuff here/oven sites, and putting that into practice during the 4 day curing process (I have a Mugnani).

I was worried in practice it might get a bit tedious, or not be as much fun as I'd hoped.  Well, those worries were just silly.  Its a blast, and the whole family enjoys it.

Mike

pizzapan