Author Topic: Roman Pizzas  (Read 11015 times)

Offline D.C. Pizza Master

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Roman Pizzas
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 03:11:36 PM »
I would never dream to call every pizza a Pizza Napoletana.

You just confirm my suspect! One master, on learning methods. That school has the interest of calling a PIzza Italiana,  whatever it is not Italian. I am not disputing that Danilo Pagano may be good, but saying he is a best is a bit overestimating... How many italian pizzamaker have you ssen working???

Natianal Acrobat Team??? I do not think that pizzamaker in Italy are measured on their acrobatic skills!

Are you Italian? If it so, and you had the chance to travel around Italy, you would know that there is not such a thing as Pizza Italiana. Every region has their interpretation of what a pizza is: More crispy or more thinner then other etc...
Until 10 years ago, then, everywhere a pizza baked in a wood burning oven was called Pizza Napoletana and that is a fact!

If we then start talking about focaccia, then we can explain the difference from the Sicilian one, Roman and Ligurian for example...

By the way I have been making pizza since I was a kid, but I would never dream of saying that I am the best one.

Can I give you one tip? Start using word like "in my opinion is the best...or " for what my experience is, I believe..."

IN MY OPINION

LETS AGREE TO DISAGREE  8)

by the way....post a pic of the pizzas new make and I'll post a pic of mine

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 08:50:40 PM »
LOL

Offline Gils

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 01:40:25 PM »

by the way....post a pic of the pizzas new make and I'll post a pic of mine

I would really enjoy seeing both pics. 

Offline Scagnetti

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2005, 01:30:28 PM »
For the record, I'm half Italian, and I'm siding with the guy from Italy (pizzanapoletana).

I've seen this Pizza Acrobat contest on Food TV and what that has to do with making good pizza is beyond me.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 11:54:40 AM »
Not Roman, but it went done very easy.

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2005, 05:20:12 PM »
hey, dyn o mite pie.  whatcha got on that pie? looks like some shroomies.  Damn, i can't eat pizza again tonite but that looks tempting.  We'll just call that an American" pie eh

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 05:40:19 PM »
Sausage, Pepperoni, Onions, Green Pepper, Mushrooms YUM!

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2005, 11:41:00 AM »
I am half italian, my wife is first generation italian....along with my THREE SISTER-IN-LAWS.  Her family right off the boat.  They are all VERY good cooks.  However you DON'T want them in the kitchen at the same time.  They will argue and bitch about everything.  It basically comes down to the fact that italians can't agree on what to call particular dishes.....nomenclature, if you will.  This thread makes me feel at home on the holidays!! ;D
Not thinking, i once made the mistake of saying that fried pizza dough was called "pizza fritte", not "crespelle" like they were calling it.  crespelle are like a crepe.
Won't be doing THAT again.  What an arguement!   Hey, call it rats asshole for all i care.  Why do they do it?  Well, in their own words " we fight and argue and bitch each other out then we all have a glass of wine when its all done...thats how we do things."  and that is how they do things so i can either get used to it.... or shoot them in the head.  alas, their cooking skills have saved them.  I'm getting used to it.

Back to the point of this thread, those long pizzas are definately different.  i wonder if the peels for those pizzas are that long or are they stretching them off the peel as they're putting the pizza in the oven, pulling them to make them that long.   i remember reading in carol fields "the italian baker" about a pizza like this made by a roman baker.  They sold this "pizza alla romana" by the yard, or by the foot.
itsinthesauce:  if your friend sends anymore pics please post them.

Offline Ian

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2005, 11:57:16 PM »
There's no way I'm getting into this Roman pizza or not thing. However, I thought I'd add that on a recently aired Food TV special "Giadas Italian Holiday", Giada Di Laurentis visited a pizzeria in Rome where they served pizza just like the pictures in the original post. There was an impressive variety, all made up ahead of time and then reheated in the oven when ordered. The pizza was then served folded over and eaten like a sandwich.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 10:12:15 AM »
Don't blame you for not jumping in. Five more of my friends are going there today and promised to send more pics.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2005, 11:30:44 PM »
this is really annoying how stubborn some people are

LISTEN UP

I WENT TO ITALY...I HAVE SPOKEN WITH PROFESSIONAL PIZZA MAKERS....I KNOW WHAT THE DAMN THING IS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

is pizza al taglio

Offline ilpizzaiolo

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2005, 04:15:42 AM »
the only person being stubborn here is you. It has been in your tone since this first began over roman pizzas. There is one thing I do grow tired of  and that is an arrogant, ill-informed bone head with very little working experience who went to a stinking pizza school and thinks they know everything about pizza.. I see this repetedly and it gets aggravating. Especially in a place like this, where everyone is trying to learn and has come with an open mind.  We get your point that technically it is not roman pizza, and I am sure we all agree that in roma they don't call it roman pizza, just as in naples they don't call it pizza napoletana, and in italy, they don't call it pizza italiana, and new york they don't call it new york pizza, in all of these places it is simply called pizza, or by name of the ingredients on top of it... whatever, it is irrelevant because that pizza in the picture at the top of this thread, although available throughout italy, is very typical or rome, and is often refered to as roman pizza. In rome and naples, they compare and contrast both pizzas and in those conversations they are refered to as neapolitan or roman pizza..... this is not the place for close minded, strict interpretaions of one school of thought on pizza. This is forum that openly talks about all forms of pizza, and the reference made above to the pictures is perfectly acceptable... When I also read the exchange between you and pizzanapoletana, you (d.c. pizzaimpersonator) reveal your inexperience and lack of knowledge. I know pizzanapoletana personally and am very aware of the extensive research he has done on the subject, he was not spoon fed by any pizza organization... he investigated all forms and all representations and has made educated conclusions based on hard evidence and hands on experinence.. and that is the path to enlightenment.....

ciao

Offline Madmax

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2005, 10:28:38 AM »
It's not delivery, it's Digiorno

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2005, 02:07:33 AM »
the only person being stubborn here is you. It has been in your tone since this first began over roman pizzas. There is one thing I do grow tired of  and that is an arrogant, ill-informed bone head with very little working experience who went to a stinking pizza school and thinks they know everything about pizza.. I see this repetedly and it gets aggravating. Especially in a place like this, where everyone is trying to learn and has come with an open mind.  We get your point that technically it is not roman pizza, and I am sure we all agree that in roma they don't call it roman pizza, just as in naples they don't call it pizza napoletana, and in italy, they don't call it pizza italiana, and new york they don't call it new york pizza, in all of these places it is simply called pizza, or by name of the ingredients on top of it... whatever, it is irrelevant because that pizza in the picture at the top of this thread, although available throughout italy, is very typical or rome, and is often refered to as roman pizza. In rome and naples, they compare and contrast both pizzas and in those conversations they are refered to as neapolitan or roman pizza..... this is not the place for close minded, strict interpretaions of one school of thought on pizza. This is forum that openly talks about all forms of pizza, and the reference made above to the pictures is perfectly acceptable... When I also read the exchange between you and pizzanapoletana, you (d.c. pizzaimpersonator) reveal your inexperience and lack of knowledge. I know pizzanapoletana personally and am very aware of the extensive research he has done on the subject, he was not spoon fed by any pizza organization... he investigated all forms and all representations and has made educated conclusions based on hard evidence and hands on experinence.. and that is the path to enlightenment.....

ciao

thats great...why dont you look at my pizza pics before you begin to tell me how much i dont know

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2005, 07:54:53 AM »
DC PM,
You are now picking a fight with not one, but two of the most respected people in the entire pizza world. No longer does it matter who is right and who is wrong. You are no longer respecting them. Shame on you.

Stop it. Next you'll want to pick a fight with Dinks. You are about to be gang tackled by the community over a silly point.

There is no possible benefit to you demanding respect from giants in the pizza world when you haven't earned it yet. You can whine all you want and ask to be respected. However, respect is not asked for it is something given by others. You do not earn respect in the manner with which you have accorded yourself on this topic.

I have viewed your pictures and I gleam from them that you are young, aggressive, and talented. But all the talent in the world will not save you if you do not show respect for the true leaders in your chosen field of work.

Take the pain, shut your mouth and make pizzas for the next 20 years every day of your life. Make them to the best of your incredible talent and ability, and then you will be close to getting respect from the likes of pizzanapoletana and ilpizzaiolo.

It is now time for this little fued to end. End this embarrassment now.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 07:56:55 AM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2005, 08:24:54 AM »
Please, this is not the place to wage a war of egos. I have locked the thread.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 08:40:15 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.