Author Topic: NYC pizza trip  (Read 1713 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
NYC pizza trip
« on: October 07, 2010, 09:57:23 PM »
I'm planning a trip to NYC next week or the week after and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on pizzeria's. The places I have in mind so far are Keste, Paulie Gees, Motorino, Luzzo's. I wanna try some NY slice places to but I don't know any. Looking for some suggestions.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: NYC pizza trip
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:50:18 PM »
there is a place in nanuet (rockrord county) north of nyc.  the pizza is AMAZING.  and it's cheap!  plus outside of the hustle bustle of the city

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/237/1500307/restaurant/New-York-State/Nonnas-Brick-Oven-Pizzeria-and-Restaurant-Nanuet

its rated at 92% right now.   pretty good for a pizza shop
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:52:06 PM »
Don't miss out on Totonno's on Coney Island!

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »
Good luck on finding a good slice place in the boroughs.  All the foodies are infatuated with Neapolitan and coal, so the press on slice places is almost non existent. When I moved out of Manhattan 12 years ago, Joe's (my avatar) had lost quite a bit of it's luster. It was good, but it wasn't early 90's good. This was pre Spiderman, so who knows what impact that had on it. There's a chance, albeit slight, that they still put out a formidable slice.  I'd  poke your head in- if they're still doing a brisk business, give it a shot.

Are you driving or flying? If flying, Newark? If driving, are you coming in through NJ?

I asked about NJ slice places about 2 months ago on chowhound and got a lead on two places in Lodi, about 12 minutes outside the George Washington Bridge.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/724514

This particular post from Tommy caught my attention:

That slice looks a little anemic and has virtually no oven spring. I've had better pizza there, including the one in the photo below.

It should be noted that you can easily plow through 4 slices. They aren't huge, and they are not heavy and greasy.

They are cooking pies in less than 4 minutes in the cases that I've timed, and sometimes under 3.

http://www.tommyeats.com/.a/6a00d8345173e969e20120a568595f970b-popup

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
I'm planning a trip to NYC next week or the week after and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on pizzeria's. The places I have in mind so far are Keste, Paulie Gees, Motorino, Luzzo's. I wanna try some NY slice places to but I don't know any. Looking for some suggestions.

if your driving in make sure to try johnnies in mt vernon.   (take the merrit parkway, its nice and easy and fast from boston).   Its really different, and you might like it.   Of course pepe's is on the way too.   Have fun!   Also, no coal oven places????? (luzzos doesn't count).    There are so many good ones, and its nice to have a pie thats not cooked so fast.   

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »
Also, you might want to pick up some flours to play with that you can't get here in boston.   Caputo red at chefs warehouse, and san felice at collucio and sons.   If you go there you might as well try difarras (its really close).   Their olive oil is amazing for the price.   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:06:59 AM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 01:06:05 AM »
Scott123, joes still rocks!

Just thinking about it some more here, since you are going to keste anyhow, you could try john's across the street to get a nice coal oven pie. Its one of the few non neapolitan pies in NYC not using bromated flour.    
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:09:47 AM by scott r »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »
I'm taking a train so I don't think I can hit some of the places you guys mentioned on the drive. I knew there was a place next to Keste that I wanted to go to but forgot the name, thanks Scott.

Also, you might want to pick up some flours to play with that you can't get here in boston.   Caputo red at chefs warehouse, and san felice at collucio and sons.   If you go there you might as well try difarras (its really close).   Their olive oil is amazing for the price.  

I want to grab stuff when I go but I'm going to Il Pizzaiolo after and don't know how I'm going to carry around all the cheese, flour, oil ex,ex. I'm probably going to go again in November with my cousin who will drive and then I can get all the goodies. I am going to see if I can buy a can of tomatoes from each of the Neapolitan places I go to though. You think they will sell me a can if I ask.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 11:27:39 AM »
BrickStoneOven 

If you want to go to a red hot place, then go to lucali!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/lucali-brooklyn-3
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 08:40:20 PM »
I Believe the place accross from Keste is Johns?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »
yes, it is.   

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 10:10:02 PM »
David, sorry I assumed you would be driving down from Boston, but since you will be mostly on foot/cabbing it this is what I suggest for places that are all in or very close to the same general area (the village). Everything im listing is probably a $12 cab ride or less from each other, and much of this can be done on foot. 

Motorino and Luzzos are right around the corner from each other.  One trip and you can share a small pie at both places. 
Keste and Johns, are right across the street from each other, another easy meal.
Grimaldes.  This place is underrated now that there is so much other good NY pizza, but I feel like it really showcases the coal oven style nicely.   Also, it is very close to all the other places I am recommending even though it is in brooklyn.   
Lombardi's, combined with a walk down the little italy strip with the famous cheese/topping shops, Alleva, Dipaolos etc.  (you should see this part of the city even if you dont try lombardis)
Finally, Isabellas Oven.   This place rocks. It was introduced to me by Ed lavine and he actually told me that at that time (about two years ago) that it was one of his absolute favorite pizzerias in the city. 

You could hit joes for a slice too since its really close to keste/johns.   Honestly, I have had my best street slices at random spots while walking around the city.  There are so many freakin pizzerias everywhere you look, and you can just use your eyes to clue you in on when you have a good one.  The bar is so high compared to boston and you are bound to bump in to an amazing street slice just about anywhere.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:30:37 AM by scott r »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
Thanks for the road map Scott, I'm probably going to go by your suggestions and add in Paulie Gee's and the Shake Shack in there. I heard their burgers are awesome. All the walking in between each place should work up an appetite. I'm going for 3 days then heading down to Il Pizzaiolo to see Ron and his greatness. I'm definitely going to go again in November sometime to pick up a bunch of stuff.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 01:29:48 AM »
I just found out that isabellas had to close due to a dispute with the land lord.   Sadly even the pizza oven was even destroyed rather than moved.   

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 03:57:20 AM »
 trip would not be complete without a slice from Difaras

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »
I agree, and there is nothing in my lists of places that has pizza anything like that.   Difarras is so unique in the pizza world.    Its really far from everything, though, and sort of a pain to get to.  If you go, make sure to try both a sicilian and a thin crust.  Even those are so different than each other, not the typical same stuff just on thicker or thinner crust. 

Difarras is close to lioni and collucio and sons, so maybe on your next visit with the car you can hit those three.   

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 08:32:30 PM »
BrickStoneOven,

Are you referring to Ilpiziolo in Pitt?  By far one of the best pizza places I've ever ate at.  As if the waitresses alone wouldn't make you drool, but their pies are amazing.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »
BrickStoneOven,

Are you referring to Ilpiziolo in Pitt?  By far one of the best pizza places I've ever ate at.  As if the waitresses alone wouldn't make you drool, but their pies are amazing.

Yup that's the one. Going there has got me more excited than the entire NY trip. I can't wait to talk to Ron and see the oven.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 12:17:53 AM »
I am so jealous.   What an amazing trip this is going to be for you.   Next stop Naples!

Make sure you have room for food other than pizza at il pizzaiolo.  OMG I crave rons pastas and marinated veggies!  All the food there is totally off the hook.   

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 08:28:22 AM »
I am so jealous.   What an amazing trip this is going to be for you.   Next stop Naples!  

Yea... hopefully next year I can go to Naples.

Make sure you have room for food other than pizza at il pizzaiolo.  OMG I crave rons pastas and marinated veggies!  All the food there is totally off the hook.   

After seeing the pictures of the food you had there I am definitely making room.

pizzapan