Author Topic: AP flour vs. H&R flour ??  (Read 7394 times)

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
AP flour vs. H&R flour ??
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:02:53 AM »
Been doing some experiments lately using all purpose flour. I've found there are two types. For example General Mills and Bakers & Chefs (Conagra) make a standard "All Purpose flour" but they also have an AP flour rated as "Hotel and Restaurant".

I can't imagine these flours as being the same exact product. If it were the case there would be no need for different packaging.

Does anyone know what makes the "Hotel and Restaurant" different?

Thanks!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: AP flour vs. H&R flour ??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
Does anyone know what makes the "Hotel and Restaurant" different?

Papageorgio,

To the best of my knowledge, H&R (Hotel and Restaurant) flour is all-purpose flour that is sold in the foodservice industry. I checked the General Mills website and the only professional all-purpose flours that I could find were the H&R all-purpose flours, with a typical spec for a bleached H&R flour at http://www.gmiflour.com/gmflour/Flour_SpecSheet/HRWest%20Bleached14314(West).doc. If you compare the ingredients list for that flour with the General Mills Gold Medal flour (bleached) such as sold at the retail level, as exemplified by the Nutrition Facts shown at http://www.generalmills.com/Home/Brands/Baking_Products/Gold_Medal/Brand%20Product%20List%20Page.aspx (you will have to click on the link for all-purpose flour), you will see that the two flours have the same ingredients in the same order. Likewise for the retail Gold Medal unbleached flour, as noted at http://www.generalmills.com/Home/Brands/Baking_Products/Gold_Medal/Brand%20Product%20List%20Page.aspx (you will have to click on the link to the unbleached flour). It is hard to compare other parts of the specs because of rounding factors.

Peter

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
Thanks Peter!

I agree that the ingredients appear the same on both flours. It just makes me wonder why they would go to the trouble of having two separate packages with different names on them if it's the same flour.

I'll just have to try them both and see if I detect a difference.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »
ConAgri says that the H&R flour is their AP flour in a different bag (probably 25 and 50#) for foodservice, and is marketed through Sysco.  Shawnee mills says their H & R flour is a bit different than their AP flour.  The H&R contains  "dough tone" and is straight wheat.  The AP contains a mix of wheat and malted barley flour, but no "dough tone".
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »
I sent an email to Tim Huff at General Mills in which I enquired whether the GM professional all-purpose flours sold as H&R are the same as the Gold Medal all-purpose flours sold at retail. I got the following reply:

Our H&R All-Purpose flours would be a match for our Gold Medal All-Purpose found at the grocery store.  We have both bleached and unbleached for the H&R and the Gold Medal.   Our H&R unbleached  50# is product code 14439 and 2/25# is 14438.  Both the same as the retail product.

I have sent a follow-up question to clarify whether the flours in the two channels are identical or whether there might be slight differences.

It is quite common for millers to use different names and packaging for flours sold to professionals and home bakers. For example, King Arthur sells its all-purpose and bread flours to professionals by the names "Sir Galahad" and "Special", respectively.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 08:40:43 PM »
I have sent a follow-up question to clarify whether the flours in the two channels are identical or whether there might be slight differences.

I received the follow-up reply from Tim Huff at General Mills:

The professional (H&R) and retail (gold medal) all purpose flours see run to the same specifications - they are the same.

Peter

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:08:43 PM »
Thanks so much, you guys are great!!

Not knowing answers to stuff like this drives me nuts. Now, I can sleep at night.

pizzapan