Author Topic: well, I'm excited  (Read 3021 times)

buceriasdon

well, I'm excited
« on: October 08, 2010, 05:56:32 PM »
I realize most of you are thinking "oh hum" but I found this Mozz. today at my local supermarket. Tonight's pie..........Magherita! Cheese you have to slice and dry between paper towels! Life is good. Even at $4.55 US dollars.
Don

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: well, I'm excited
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »
Well congrays Don! I hope your pizza turns out great. Where are you located?

Jeff

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »
Hi Jeff, I live about 20 minutes from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Town called Bucerias. I realize the cheese was made in Wisconsin, but I can still say it's imported! :-D

Well congrats Don! I hope your pizza turns out great. Where are you located?

Jeff

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »
Had some cherry tomatos needing using so I coarsely chopped them. Imported Mozz, ahem, baked in my LBE. Basil from my garden. About a four day reefer proofed AP flour with cake flour and gluten added. Dough made in Braun food processor, metal blade.  Nice and light pie. I and my company loved it. There is a good reason the Margherita is a classic.
Don
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:49:26 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline madigital

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 01:59:26 AM »
Currently using Bel Gioioso Mozz, Parm, a bit o cheddar and a touch of Aged Asiago on mine.  Good stuff.  Hope the pie was a success.
~ Lovin' on moons that leave black eyes.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 07:19:41 AM »
Yes, for a poor man's Margherita I was quite pleased. I have nothing to compare this brand to, it's the only one I've ever seen here but I liked it. I wonder how well it freezes. I've never seen Asiago but I'll keep my eyes open for it. Thanks for the suggestion. Is it a sharper cheese?
Warm(and it is still hot and humid here) regards, Don

Currently using Bel Gioioso Mozz, Parm, a bit o cheddar and a touch of Aged Asiago on mine.  Good stuff.  Hope the pie was a success.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 07:45:46 AM »
Don it's a fine cheese.  I was excited the first time I got a hold of some.  I've come to prefer other soft mozz's but I have choices.  If that's all that's available, then consider yourself lucky to be able to get it.   To make up for it's low flavor profile, I have sliced & soaked it in milk, olive oil, saline solution, or a combination of.  That did seem to help.

I also have available to me at Costco, their aged asiago cheese which is wonderful.  A huge block for about $8 or so and should last me a very long time.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Don, have you considered making your own Mozz?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »
Our local walmart superstore carries this brand there.I tried it once and did not think it was worth the price,especially being from Wisconsin!
 ;D

Seriously,it was OK,but I was not blown away.I will admit I did not dry them out either,I never have with any cheese and did not think it would change it that much.That said I will try it another time and dry them out longer and see whassup.They do seem to melt a bit creamier than other cheeses without the burn through too.Is that a characteristic of that kind of cheese or did I get lucky that day?
 :-[

-Bill

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 10:58:06 PM »
you proofed your pizza with reefer?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 06:32:57 AM »
JD, Don't understand how I missed this post. Anyways, yes I have and I know they have the needed materials to make cheese here. Someone is always going door to door selling farmer's cheese, panela. Good thought, thanks!
Don

Don, have you considered making your own Mozz?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »
I use Panela and Oaxaca as much as anything else.

buceriasdon

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 10:58:55 AM »
Yep. Love them both, I have tried some panela sold off the street but have found it way too salty for myself.
Don

I use Panela and Oaxaca as much as anything else.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
Oaxaca is as good as any mozz that I have had.  It will take the heat very well also.  What is the proper way to say it?  Wok - uh ? Like cooking in a Wok? 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:06:13 PM by Jet_deck »

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 07:47:25 PM »
"wah-haak-kah. All soft (a). In Spanish all (a)s are soft. I have seen another pronuciation also, but when I was there for two weeks most said it this way. How that pronuciation came about, I haven't a clue, most likely the Spanish mispronounced the native indian word. Quite common here. And I agree, it's a great pizza cheese.
Don

Oaxaca is as good as any mozz that I have had.  It will take the heat very well also.  What is the proper way to say it?  Wok - uh ? Like cooking in a Wok? 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 09:02:29 PM »
I thought it was a Mayan pronunciation, but that is not based upon anything.  I bought quesadilla, panela, oaxaca, and provolone for Saturday's pies.  Featured pie of the Week:  Quattro Formaggio con garlic and shallots, and if enough ripen chili petin.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »
.... and if enough ripen chili petin.

You might pronounce Oaxaca just as the Mayans did if you eat enough of the chili pequin. :-D :-D :-D

Offline sacwoodpusher

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 01:28:42 AM »
Yep. Love them both, I have tried some panela sold off the street but have found it way too salty for myself.
Don

Queso de Mano seems to be similar to mozz.....have you tried it?

buceriasdon

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 07:38:13 AM »
That is not a Mexican cheese and have never seen it in stores here by that name. Translated it means handmade cheese. It may be Spanish but not Mexican.
Don

Queso de Mano seems to be similar to mozz.....have you tried it?

Offline JoshThePizzaFreak

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
I get the Bel Gioioso Fresh Mozzarella which comes pre-sliced in my local market.  I think it is the same as what you posted except it's sliced for caprese salads..  It comes in a similar package but doesn't have the label in Spanish.  It is quite moist, but not as wet as the fresh mozz that comes in brine.
The Bel Gioioso fresh mozz in the package has a nice creamy flavor and works well for Neopolitan style pizzas. 
I use it as the only cheese on a pizza Margarita (with fresh basil and some EVOO and kosher salt sprinkled on top).

For New York Style (NeoNeopolitan) I use The this fresh Mozz mixed 50:50 with full fat low moisture mozz and 10-20% parm reggiano (with a little EVOO and kosher salt sprinkled on top).

It's good stuff!

pizzapan