Author Topic: Yeast gone wild on a rainy day.  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
Yeast gone wild on a rainy day.
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:50:17 AM »
Iím hunting for the worldís best pizza dough!  However I might settle for one I just like a lot.  Now my friend at Napoli Pizzeria Ristorante in Seattle has dough I really like but and I donít know why, he wonít tell me everything about how he makes it.  I know he uses Shepherd's Grain Enriched Unbleached High Gluten Strength Flour but thatís it.  So Iím off hunting the internet for a recipe that fits the bill.  I come across a recipe in Epicurious.com. For dough based on one from Chris Bianco, ok this should be good, right?  Iíve heard of this guy, he makes pies, yes?  It calls for 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons) for 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, alright, letís mix.  Everything is going well, mixes good, smells great, I get done divide in two, ball it up and in the frig it goes for a 72 hour nap.  This is at 11am in the morning, I go back about 6pm that night and I have a monster growling at me from within.  What the ****, Iím on the phone to my local pizza maker Bill Jensen (La Pizza Pela), ďhey dude what have I doneĒ?  Iím at the same time scanning the net for another example and find two recipes, wow the same amount of yeast in both but more than double the flour.  A miss print, thatís a first but none the less my problem.  Now what I ask?  Bill said punch it down and good luck.  Saturday rolls around and I figure, why not take a ball off to the last day of a local market, get a pie made and see whatís up.  I take it out of the frig about three hours before going, ok.  When I come back to it, itís doubled again, this little monster just isnít going to quit.  I get to market, itís raining, cool, Billís oven is only getting up to around 600í to 650í.  Bill gets to work on it, a little dry this dough is but a pie emerges and into the oven.  Bottom line, everyone likes the taste however we think the yeast has consumed too much sugar from the flour.  The pie comes across a little flat, it has too much chew, kind of tough but none the less a pie and a great way to kill time foolíní with the pies.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:55:27 AM by Pigslips »
ďPizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.Ē

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Yeast gone wild on a rainy day.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:13:46 PM »
Your pizza looks as good as his does.  Looks like he is getting good reviews.  Do you know the brand name of the oven?  Thanks.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
Re: Yeast gone wild on a rainy day.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
The pie looked great and tasted pretty good.  What happened was a texture issue plus a little bit of a flat taste.
I want to say Bill said the oven was from Chicago Brick Oven.  Bill is getting very good reviews, his enthusiasm
for what he does is  contagious and  alluring, great guy.
http://www.chicagobrickoven.com/index.html
ďPizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.Ē

pizzapan