Author Topic: Atlanta - Antico and Verasano's  (Read 3999 times)

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Atlanta - Antico and Verasano's
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Someone sent me this thread so I thought I'd chime in.  Let me just clarify a couple of things:

I didn't stop posting here for any reason other than I just don't have the time. I get a lot of mail from my site and I can't even answer a lot of it. I've had about 3100 letters and I've answered about 2000 and the other 1100 I watch pile up in my inbox and I just feel guilty about them. I answer a few a day, but never catch up.  I've literally worked all but 14 days this year. So that is really the only reason.  This is a LOT of work. I'm starting to get the hang of it (I hope).

I do pull a lot from the Neapolitan standard but honestly I did think the pizza was doughy there. I never posted up the results of my trip because I didn't want to criticize the motherland, LOL...  No matter how you slice it, I'm still 70% doing what they do.  But I felt, as scott said, that it was a freeing experience. The problem with claiming to be 'authentic' is that it locks you into an existing method.  If i test olive oils and decide that the best one is from Algeria should I use it?  Well if I'm claiming to be authentically Neapolitan, I've got a problem.  I just didn't want to be caught in that trap. I want to use the ingredients and tastes that I think are best, not what is most authentic. For example, I think that the NY Elite temp is best.  My oven can sustain 1 min pies, maybe even less. But I don't do it. No one would like them here, especially since customers in the south eat slowly and the pies just get soggy.

bicster, more than the sum of it's parts is 100% what I'm shooting for. If you look at the critique on my site comparing A16 vs. Johnny's that's what I'm getting at.

Does anyone know how many in the US use sourdough?  I always say it's under 10, but really I can only name 4 or 5. I can say now that I know why on one uses it. It's a a lot harder. Just 2 days ago we had our starter go bad and we had to restore from backup. Had to reschedule a lot of things. Not a problem on a monday, but if that happened on a friday, we'd be screwed. It's happened a couple of times before too. In the first 6 months we closed 3 times due to bad dough. Not since then though.  In any case, it's just not consistent like IDY is.  But I'm happy I'm using it.

Anyone on this board who's coming in should email me before so I can meet them when then come in. I'm at Jeff@Varasanos.com

My recipe page will pass 1,000,000 hits tonight :-)

Jeff

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:04:41 PM by varasano »

PaulsPizza

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 06:49:37 AM »
Jeff,

I think it's a brilliant thing that you are not affraid to step away from tradition to seek your perfect pizza.

Kudos to you sir.

Paul

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »
Jeff,

Your site is what got me serious about baking pizza at home 4 years ago.  I still reference it frequently and hold your pies up as the platonic ideal asthetically for pies baked in the home oven.  I have no doubt that they taste even better than they look. 

If I am ever in Atlanta your restaurant will be the first place that I hit.  Probably en route from the airport.
So the main message:  Thank You so much.

I know that I am not alone in being very curious about how your method has changed from the home to the commercial environment. 

Are you still cold fermenting?

What temp are you baking at, and for how long?  What are the unique design features of your scandinavian oven?  (Are you using convection?)

How do you manage your starter.

If sharing this info would place your business at a competitive disadvantage, then by all means don't publish it.

If not, I know that all of the members would love your insight.  No observation could be too technical for this crowd.

AZ

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
Not sure if jeff will respond, but a few of these questions are already answered on line.    Im pretty sure there is no convection feature to those ovens.   Early in the thread a post says that the oven is set to 700 degrees, and jeff himself just said that its NY elite temps (right around 700).   Thats usually in the 3.5-4.5 minute range for a smallish thin crust pizza.   

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
Hey Guys,

We are generally in the 3 min range, but it can vary based on the dough. Other than that I can't really answer too many questions about my processes. I hope you understand.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  Your pies are looking awesome!  I gotta go see you sometime soon.  I got my start from your website.  Thank you so much!

Any shots of the crumb? How would you describe your pizza these days? Neopolitan, still elite NY, or NP hybrid? Crunch or no? Taste and texture?

No kidding - I had a dream you personally made me a pie last night and it was divine.  :-D

Chau
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:49:42 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 05:23:30 PM »
No worries Jeff.  It is your livelihood.  I get that completely.

It is interesting that you bake your pies at a lower temp in a professional oven than you did in your home oven.

The pies look great and that leoparding definately looks like a high heat pie.  Can't wait to try them in person.

AZ

Offline boudie

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 08:07:26 AM »
I have the pleasure of living in the Atlanta area.  It is really hard to describe Jeff's pies.  They are amazing!  The dough is not "doughy" at all.  The crumb is light and crunchy and soft on the inside, wow! The best I have ever had.

One of the white pizza's he has on the menu is a kalamata olive and capers one.  He uses buffalo mozz on it and I can't tell you how good it is.  It is so simple yet so good.  We do this pizza at home every week when we fire up the WFO.  Of course my dough does not even come close to his and he must have another source for his mozz.  The buffalo mozz I find locally is better than anything I use but it is very hit and miss. 

One of the coolest features in his place is a bar that you can sit at and watch his team make the pies and bake them.  Literally you are two feet from where they drop the dough balls down and form them. 

Let me know if any of you get into town.  I will be glad to meet you there!   ;D

Bert

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 08:25:15 AM »
Thx for describing the quality of the pies Bert.  Next time you are there, get a couple of pics of the crumb if you don't mind.  The forum can always use more pics of quality pies.  When I make it down there, I'll definitely hit you up.  Pies would be on me of course. ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »
Me too Me too Jeff ! You were my inspiration and guidance for sometime Your webcipe site was the first of many many things I printed out and studied. I still have it in my Pizza File years later! 1,000,000 hits is just amazing!!
 I will definitley stop in when I am in the area
 Thanks for all you so freely pass on!
John C
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan