Author Topic: Cooking great pizza in a normal domestic oven  (Read 3668 times)

Offline southcoastpizzalover

Cooking great pizza in a normal domestic oven
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:31:48 PM »
Hi,

I'm a bit of a pizza newbie and have started cooking pizza though only using my normal oven which only goes up to about 280 degrees celsius.

Have been doing it on a greased pan, does anyone know how much difference a pizza stone would make? Is my oven hot enough to get the classic Italian style with a crispy base that cooks in about 4 minute flat?

What other must have equipment should I invest in?

Thanks!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Cooking great pizza in a normal domestic oven
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:45:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum. You can absolutely make great pizza in your oven - a stone would be a significant plus. You can heat the stone for 45 minutes to an hour, which will retain a good amount of heat to cook your pie with better results. I would say you are going for a New York style of pizza. An Italian (Neapolitan) style pie is cooked at a much higher temperature for around 60-90 seconds.

John
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:25:09 PM by dellavecchia »

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 02:12:16 PM »
Sure can.  I have a WFO and still use the kitchen oven all the time.  Other than the speed with which I can make them, I can not tell the difference between pizza done indoors or out (but I am not making Neapolitan pies).

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »

Have been doing it on a greased pan, does anyone know how much difference a pizza stone would make? Is my oven hot enough to get the classic Italian style with a crispy base that cooks in about 4 minute flat?

What other must have equipment should I invest in?

Thanks!

1) If using the same dough, baking pizza in a grease pan vs using a stone will give you a different result.  The grease pan will give the crust more of a crispy, fried, oily, pizza crust similar to a pizza hut pan pizza while baking it on the stone will yield more of NY/American style crust like a pizza hut hand tossed crust. 

As far as the difference you are looking for, are you referring to oven spring?  How puffy the rim will get?  A pan pizza is usually baked at lower temps and for a longer time and will have a more dense, tight cell structure look to it.  This doesn't mean that it's necessarily dense or heavy in texture but just in look.   Pizzas baked on a HOT stone will tend to have a bit more aerated look to them. 

Not sure if your oven will give a 4min bake or not.  The time of bake is dependant on the temp, and at 536F each oven can bake fairly differently.  As a guestimation, I would say you are likely going to get closer to a 6 min bake in your oven which should yield pretty good results.  You can get a 4 min bake if you use the broiler element.

As John said, a classic italian style pizza (Neapolitan) would require much higher temps and be baked for a much shorter period of time. 

Good luck,

Chau
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:31:11 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline southcoastpizzalover

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:01:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice. A stone is definitely something I will go and get!