Author Topic: Have LBE, Will Travel  (Read 3847 times)

buceriasdon

Have LBE, Will Travel
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:32:48 PM »
I have been invited by some of my Mexican friends to a party this Thursday evening and I was asked to bring pizza, as before but no spinach pizza! and I thought, well heck, bring the LBE and bake them there. I built it to be portable, now's the time to just do it. Although all but one of the pizzas I won't eat, they gave me a list, I like the idea of the challenge of setting up somewhere other than my kitchen at the hotel, no net, so to speak. I freely admit to being inspired by Pizza Hacker and his FrankenWeber in SF. It will be night, Mexican parties never start on time, but I will be taking some pics, they just won't be the best. Should be interesting.
donaldo

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
Re: Have LBE, Will Travel
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:01:39 PM »
Looking forward to your pics and hearing of your experience.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:34:28 PM »
There may be some pictures, very graphic, of slices of pizza slathered in ketchup. Cheap ketchup. Not for the faint of heart. Even I have a difficult time looking at such a abomination, and I have been in war. Ham and pineapple pizza coated in ketchup. Gives me the willies. I have witnessed this odd custom in the past, it took all the will power I had not to grab the remaining pizza and run away. I will post warnings of course. It's the decent thing to do.
Don

Looking forward to your pics and hearing of your experience.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:36:26 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline carbon

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:20:40 AM »
That should be a lot of fun, but I also hope you have plenty of time for yourself to enjoy the party.

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »
Pic of the LBE san the tank, ready to go. Shoooting for half an hour setup and heat up time.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 08:41:07 AM »
Ok, so I have to add extra camera batteries to my check list. Only got a single picture of the oven set up last night before I lost power to the camera. Other than that the four pies came out quite well, the check list certainly was worth doing. I do have to buy a larger cooler for transport, easy to remedy. In any case everyone loved the pizzas and the beer was cold. I have a fundraiser for a charity here coming soon, and feel I'm ready for it. I will have extra batteries,lol.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 09:04:06 AM »
Don,

Great to hear your pies turned out well and everyone loved them.  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Fishwish

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 10:00:11 AM »
Any chance you could take pics of the inside your lid? Curious about the bolts! Thanks,
Nancy

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:06:28 PM »
I cut down a ceramic tile to fit into the lid with a diamond saw in a four inch angle grinder. Messy job. Lots of red dust. I don't have a wet saw. I then cut a piece of cardboard the same size for use as a template. I already had two holes in the lid for the handle so I drilled two more for a total of four holes 1/4" in diameter. I taped the cardboard template inside the lid as centered as possible then made the hole location marks with a pencil down through the holes in the lid. I removed the template, marked the hole locations, and drilled the holes in the tile using a masonary bit. The "bolts" are all thread cut to length with a nut on both the inside and the top of the lid. I would like to replace them later with stainless steel if I can find them here.
Regards, Don

Any chance you could take pics of the inside your lid? Curious about the bolts! Thanks,
Nancy

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
The organizers of the cocktail party fundraiser for: http://www.manosdeamor.com/FUND_RAISING.htm
contacted me yesterday to inform me it will take place January 13 from 6 to 9 in the evening. A bit of background. My ex wife and I became involved with helping to build and maintain an orphanage here in this part of Mexico. To that end I created and organized the first R and R which has grown to be the largest fundraising event in the North Bay. After my divorce I took a break from involvement with fundraising side of it. In fact I dropped off the radar screen. In the interim time my ex moved back to the USA and she turned over the reins to others who after hearing about my pizza asked me to bring pizzas to this years fundraiser via email. A friend gave them my email address. They didn't realize who I was until my reply to a confirmation email where I said who I was. Small world,eh? In any case I will be baking my pizza there that night, flattered to be the company of the best high end restaurants in Bucerias that donate food that night. More to follow.
Warm regards, Don Thompson aka buceriasdon
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:18:04 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 08:28:24 AM »
The organizers of the cocktail party fundraiser for: http://www.manosdeamor.com/FUND_RAISING.htm
contacted me yesterday to inform me it will take place January 13 from 6 to 9 in the evening. A bit of background. My ex wife and I became involved with helping to build and maintain an orphanage here in this part of Mexico. To that end I created and organized the first R and R which has grown to be the largest fundraising event in the North Bay. After my divorce I took a break from involvement with fundraising side of it. In fact I dropped off the radar screen. In the interim time my ex moved back to the USA and she turned over the reins to others who after hearing about my pizza asked me to bring pizzas to this years fundraiser via email. A friend gave them my email address. They didn't realize who I was until my reply to a confirmation email where I said who I was. Small world,eh? In any case I will be baking my pizza there that night, flattered to be the company of the best high end restaurants in Bucerias that donate food that night. More to follow.
Warm regards, Don Thompson aka buceriasdon

Don,

That is a wonderful thing you did and now are still doing!  :)  Anytime children are involved that have to be in an orphanage and are needy, anything to help them is worthy. Congrats to you for helping.  :chef:

I would be anxious to hear about your adventure.  It is a small world.

Norma
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:28:16 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »
.... flattered to be the company of the best high end restaurants in Bucerias that donate food that night...

They've got nothing on you, I can't wait to see the pizzas you crank out!
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

buceriasdon

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 08:53:08 AM »
Happy New Year everyone, Setting up the LBE at a cantina tonight, three pizzas to bake. Making sure I have spare battteries! :-[ One request for ham and pineapple, one for a meat lover's with canned tuna and another hot chicken pizza for me. I processed a handful of habanero peppers in with the chicken, no taking them out now. No turning back.(cue maniacal laugh in the background) Used bottled habanero as the marinade overnight in the fridge. Pics to follow.
Don

pizzapan