Author Topic: Corn  (Read 2500 times)

Offline haybot

Corn
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »
Couldn't find anything about this beside the use of corn flour in doughs.

Does anyone put Corn on their pizza?
It's actually quite common in germany, you even get it as a topping at Pizza Hut.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
Re: Corn
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »
Corn on pizza...
That pretty much seals the deal for Germany as the worst (wurst) food on the face of the Earth.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:11:34 PM »
Corn is also a popular topping here in Mexico. I have not been able to find blue corn however. Many of my Mexican friends request corn. I use it on my Mexican veggie pizza with peppers and avacado. I generally make a dough with some corn flour(masa) added for these pizzas. Instead of a tomato sauce I use a sauce of corn fungus called Cuitlacoche(not available in most parts of the world) mixed with tomato based sauce and blended to make it spreadible. To me a little bit of corn goes a long way, but my friends don't pick it off the pizza like they do with artichoke hearts.
Don 

It's actually quite common in germany, you even get it as a topping at Pizza Hut.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:57:44 PM »
OK, I will try it this weekend.  Corn, onion, and garlic, with a green tomatillo sauce.  White and yellow jack cheese, maybe.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »
How about my "Black Pizza" with corn and corn smut?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7433.msg63984.html#msg63984

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »
Now THAT is a pretty and tasty sounding pizza!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »
Wow Bill.  impressive!   Corn smut sounds really really dirty.  :-D But since I like mushrooms, it sounds like I would like it.   ;D

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »
 I prefer to use a thin layer of corn truffle so I do cut mine with tomato sauce to make it spreadable. The taste can be strong to some. I do the same with my mole pizzas. Only twice have I seen fresh Cuitlacoche or Huitlacoche, both are correct spellings , in stores so I, like Bill, use canned. Very nice pie Bill. I can't find any pics of mine, oh well.
Don

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »

HB,

I was born and raised in Germany and a couple of buddies used to run a small pizza shop. I have never seen corn on a pizza in Germany but maybe there's always an exception to the rule.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »
I don't see what's wrong with using corn on pizza. A popular grilled pizza uses corn as a topping....its fresh, its tasty, its seasonal...I don't know why it couldn't be used.

Offline Jevla

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »
As an Arizona resident, I could definitely enjoy a Mexican style pizza with roasted corn kernals, roasted green chill's, pork or beef machacca and a tomotillo verde style sauce dotted with black olives. If I could only figure out how to get masa flour incorporated into the crust. Maybe I should just stick to tamales?

buceriasdon

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »
I've had success with a blend of about 2.5 to 3 parts all purpose flour to 1 part corn flour. 3 to 1 is a good blend that retains the corn taste and is not so difficult to work with.
Don

As an Arizona resident, I could definitely enjoy a Mexican style pizza with roasted corn kernals, roasted green chill's, pork or beef machacca and a tomotillo verde style sauce dotted with black olives. If I could only figure out how to get masa flour incorporated into the crust. Maybe I should just stick to tamales?

Offline Jevla

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 08:51:48 PM »
Thank you Don for that advice.....I will surely exploit that opportunity to meld the two flours. Corn is a wonderful thing. I saw a documentary on Netflix where Monsanto's bioengineering of corn accidentally spread to Mexico's precious varieties. What a shame....

Offline texmex

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »
This corny  :P topic has me thinking of an edamame/onion/roasted corn/roasted red pepper succotash I made last month. 

Dare I try some of this on pizza?  What kind of cheese?  hmmmm.
Reesa

Offline texmex

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 03:03:25 PM »
Thank you Don for that advice.....I will surely exploit that opportunity to meld the two flours. Corn is a wonderful thing. I saw a documentary on Netflix where Monsanto's bioengineering of corn accidentally spread to Mexico's precious varieties. What a shame....

What Monsanto etal have done the world over is criminal!
Reesa