Author Topic: starting a pizza shop  (Read 6056 times)

Offline franwake13

starting a pizza shop
« on: October 12, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
hey whats up guys? first post! my name is frank and im new to this whole pizza thing. ok so here it is. starting a pizza shop thats due to open around the 1st of january. were gonna call it "Bubba's Pizza, Wings, And Things." im open to sugestions of any kind. does anyone know of any schools to goto around nw florida? anyone have any does and donts? open to everything!
Thanks alot guys and gals.....
-frank

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: starting a pizza shop
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 03:27:42 PM »
hey whats up guys? first post! my name is frank and im new to this whole pizza thing. ok so here it is. starting a pizza shop thats due to open around the 1st of january. were gonna call it "Bubba's Pizza, Wings, And Things." im open to sugestions of any kind. does anyone know of any schools to goto around nw florida? anyone have any does and donts? open to everything!
Thanks alot guys and gals.....
-frank

So you have 2 1/2 months to learn how to make pizza.

I'd say it's a really tight schedule. Good luck with your endeavor.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »
frank,

In parallel with your post on this forum, you may also want to pose your questions to the membership of the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6. Most of the posters there are professional pizza operators.

Peter

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:41:52 PM »
bubbas wings and pizza things is easier to say than bubbas pizza wings and things
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »
Sorry to say,that name kinda sucks.Unless you live where the name Bubba is cool?

Also,you sound like you have little or no experience in the business?If that is so,it may be a disaster for you to open something up so soon.

Im not one to rain on the ideas or parade,but be honest with your skills and know what you can do or learn like you are posting here,which is good.It can takes months or years to learn a skill to make food people will come back for more and more.You are in it for profits,and just jumping into a business is no guarantee if you have none to little skills.

Sorry to sound negative..Im still a newbie to making it at home,and have eaten some of the best pizzas growing up in NY state.I live in KY now,and see people opening up these new kinds of places all the time and fail within a year.They don't know what they are doing and don't have a profit making product they can use or beat the chains with that the locals are so accustomed to.

-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:02:38 PM »
Btw, what are "pizza wings" anyway? And Bubba? Bubba Shrimp Co. ?

"Run...Forrest...Run!!"

I smell a Troll.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 12:17:32 AM »

So you have 2 1/2 months to learn how to make pizza.

I'd say it's a really tight schedule. Good luck with your endeavor.
no kidding.

he who fails to plan, plans to fail.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

PaulsPizza

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 05:30:51 AM »
Frank,

I am opening a pizza shop in the next few months and I can't imagine what you are going through if you haven't even made pizza before :o

If I were you I would spend every available hour reading and learning from people on here such as Pete-zza, Bill, Scott r, Scott123, Jackie Tran, and when you are not on here learning you should be making shed loads of pizzas or sleeping :-D

I wish you luck but I agree that if you are a pizza making newb you are cutting it very fine with your opening day.

Paul

Offline carbon

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 04:27:27 PM »
Depending on the locale there are many pizza shop owners doing well who've jumped into the pizza business with very little or no prior pizza experience.  Their affordable large $5 pies are mediocre at best which happens to be good enough for the neighborhood.  With a high traffic location with plenty of parking and reasonable rent these mom and pop shops do all right.  Most make enough money to pay the mortgage and put their kids through college.  Good luck with your new venture Frank.

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 05:57:42 PM »
Just for fun a did a google on Florida style pizza, got some top hits on a place in Philly, the vast majority in Florida were New York style with a couple of Chicago thin. So Frank I would recommend working on a New York style. Best of luck, don't care for the name either.
Don

Offline franwake13

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 08:00:31 PM »
hey whats up guys? yea we bought a pizza shop out of Georgia and got everything shipped down to Florida. we already own the building. half of the building is our coffee shop. i have a little experience with pizza and have worked in the kitchen multiple time. im actually from philly and know foods from the north. we are going to go with a ny style pizza. my family came up with the name of the place, lol it had nothing to do with me.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:49:10 PM »
Live the dream, Bro, don't let the haters influence you.

You need to do some serious reading over at PMQ, pick a tried and true dough for your conditions and equipment, and go from there.  Dough is key, sauce and ingredients are easy to change on the fly.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:50:48 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline franwake13

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »
thanks Tscarborough, we kinda got throw into this. so yea im gonna make the best of things and i KNOW it will work out. i just got my samples in from stanislaus. their stuff is pretty good. idk just starting out i might just stick with them. anyone else got any suggestions?

Offline franwake13

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 01:47:01 PM »
other then this board i have been living over at PMQ. anyone know of any pizza boards?

Offline crazycarlspies

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
Hey franwake I am comming up on my 1st year open and im in Olathe Colorado a town of about 950 people so if i can make it a year u can do it hey i use a distributor called ROMA foods they have everything for just pizzarias and seem to have helped me out alot and there cost is very comparable to everyone else...... Good luck my friend!!!!
Crazy Carl

Offline Aldo

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 01:01:16 AM »
Hey, Frank, best of luck to you!  There is just SO MUCH good info and good people on this website.  I suggest you keep reading all over this website -- it'll give you lots of good ideas.  There are a lot of really negative commenters above -- don't let them bother you.  Frankly, it's odd to see such negativity here, but since making pizza is so much a labor of love to everyone here, I think that they really are more aghast at the idea of someone not having the passion and confidence pieces well worked out before opening a place.  It's probably everyone's dream who reads this website, but hey, not everyone is a Jeff Verasano (or however that guy spells his name.)  It's all about passion for the pizza, and as long as you got that, and learn lots from this website, you'll do fine!  Best!

Offline franwake13

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »
they thanks aldo!! yea idk why people are being negative but screw them lol. yea im havin a great time so far. got my sweet sauce done and it taste great! still working on the dough. i mean i have a dough i could use if i had to but im still working on it! does anyone know any good links for dough? i cant wait to open! i hope we open around the superbowl, at least thats our goal lol.

Offline buddaggit

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »
Hey worry about your marketing and customer service. Pizza Hut has a great training manual. Try to get a hold of that. You can also buy some books or ebaooks on marketing. Google the Jerk or pizza salesguru.com. Those books help with marketing. Good luck.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 09:45:29 PM »
This might be the only time that I've seen so much negativity on this site. Give the guy a break......

Offline cathycook

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 07:46:22 PM »
I hope for you with that lack of experience, Gordon Ramsey doesnt show up in 2 months!   ;D

pizzapan