Author Topic: Nancy's Stuffed Pizza of Chicago  (Read 2809 times)

dinghao

Nancy's Stuffed Pizza of Chicago
« on: May 16, 2005, 03:28:46 PM »
When I was in highschool, the best thing to hit the area was Nancy's Stuffed Pizza.

(some history found here. )

This was not an ordinary pizza. This was much larger than a pan pizza. Infact, it was more like a Pizza Cake.

I think it is based on an Italian Pie like creation (sort of like the one made in "The Big Night").

Reading the history link, they reference an Italian Easter Cake.

I was wondering if anyone has had this Pizza, and any ideas on how to make it?

:)

Offline buzz

Re: Nancy's Stuffed Pizza of Chicago
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 08:40:36 AM »
If I recall, Nancy's stuffed was good way back when. They have, however, expanded to be more of a Domino's-like chain, with little stores in strip malls, and the pizza has suffered tremendously (IMO). I tried the thin crust about a year ago (at a Nancy's that has subsequently closed), and it was awful--below average. I assume the deep dish (if they even have it anymore) is the same.

I won't swear to this, but Eveyln Slomon's Pizza Book might have a Nancy's recipe. Be warned, though--her recipes do not produce restaurant-style Chicago deep dish, because they assume overlong kneading times.

Lee

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 12:10:35 PM »
Hmm, I remember Nancy's from when I was growing up. The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook by Pasquale Bruno Jr. recipe for a Spinach stuffed pizza is supposedly the recipe from Nancy's if I remember right. I've made that recipe and the pizza was very good.

Offline buzz

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 10:50:42 AM »
Bruno's book doesn't give authentic recipes.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 11:17:52 AM »
Nancy's Pizza makes a regular-type Chicago stuffed pizza. Although they have chained-out, I find that their stuffed is VERY good. The ingredients are tasty and the sauce very good too. I think the only difference from the past (when I would go to their 103rd & Cicero location)is this: They now use a quick cook oven, and I believe that the bottom crust is slightly pre-cooked. This way the stuffed cooks in 18-22 minutes, instead of the original way, which is minimum of 45 minutes.