Author Topic: think we know this guy  (Read 4309 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: think we know this guy
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »
Scott, what exactly is the current formula you use?

Im really a firm believer that the perfect dough formula for me at my home would not be the perfect formula for you at your home, or in your pizzeria.   My formula changes with each type of pizza I make, each flour I buy, and it all depends on what oven im using.   I even recently consulted for two different pizzerias in the same city, and to get the same results (the second pizzeria hired me to duplicate the pizza that the first one was making) we had to come up with different formulas.

I just posted a thread where I gave out some numbers if you want to try it. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11900.0.html   
Its a good basic dough that when made with bread flour can work in either high or low temperature ovens (but I prefer somewhere in the middle for a NY coal oven type pie).   

for the article I was doing a high temp pizza using a blend of flours (caputo and harvest king), wild yeast, and I made the dough by hand because I didn't have the Bosch mixer yet.    The dough had no oil in it.   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:53:47 PM by scott r »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 10:10:18 PM »
I even recently consulted for two different pizzerias in the same city, and to get the same results (the second pizzeria hired me to duplicate the pizza that the first one was making) we had to come up with different formulas.

Scott,

As a former musician myself, well still a musician because it's in the blood but retired musician  :-\, how did you get into the pizza consulting business?

Is that something you did before you went into the music industry or did you both simultaneously? Or did music come first then pizza?

It's interesting to see how those two very different things can be combined.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 10:44:15 PM »
Essen1, I really didn't try to get consulting gigs, it just sort of fell into my lap, and I have only been doing it for the past few years.    I just wrote about pizza here on the forum and after a while people started PM'ing me asking for help.   Eventually some of those people were professional pizzeria operators.  I think there are a number of people here on the forum that could do just as good a job as I do (or even better), but because I make my own schedule recording bands, it is especially easy for me to take a week off from my work here at the studio and fly wherever I needed to go to help with pizza.   The first two consulting gigs I did were such great successes, and the pizzeria owners so happy with my work, that when anyone else pm'd me asking about consulting I had excellent references that were willing to go up to bat for me via phone calls.  I travelled for so many years seeking out the best pizzerias, and getting to know the owners whenever possible.   This has helped me to learn the various styles of pizza that we have around the country, and what I feel are the benchmarks for each particular style, plus I picked up some tips and tricks along the way.  This is a bonus because if someone says "I want to make New Haven style pizza,  or I want to do NY style, but I also would love to make a thin and crispy pizza, I know exactly what the goal is, often times exactly what flours, cheese, and tomato brands are typically used at the best of the best for that style, and I wont stop working on it until I feel the pizza is as good as its inspiration.   

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 12:25:30 AM »
Amazing.  Great story! :chef:

Thanks for answering my question and for the insight. Appreciate it.

It does help us amateur pizza makers tremendously to have people like you, Peter, Bill, Matt and others around on this board. Especially when we can get the occasional glimpse/info on and into pizzas done by professionals such as DiFara, Mangieri, and others.

In hindsight, after seeing your studio, I should have send you the demo instead of EMI. But EMI worked, too, so it's all good.  ;D

Thanks again.

Mike
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Matthew

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 06:51:46 AM »
Amazing.  Great story! :chef:

Thanks for answering my question and for the insight. Appreciate it.

It does help us amateur pizza makers tremendously to have people like you, Peter, Bill, Matt and others around on this board. Especially when we can get the occasional glimpse/info on and into pizzas done by professionals such as DiFara, Mangieri, and others.

In hindsight, after seeing your studio, I should have send you the demo instead of EMI. But EMI worked, too, so it's all good.  ;D

Thanks again.

Mike

Mike,
I'm honored to be included with the "elite"; but you're anything but amateur buddy & rank amongst the best this forum has to offer. ;)

Matt

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »
scott r and Mike,

There is a successful and highly respected pizza operator (bodegahwy) at the PMQ Think Tank, who is also a guitar player, whose Chet Akins byline in his posts always makes me laugh:

I told my father that when I grow up, I want to be a musician. He said, "Son, you can't do both."
Chet Atkins

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
Mike,
I'm honored to be included with the "elite"; but you're anything but amateur buddy & rank amongst the best this forum has to offer. ;)

Matt

Thanks, bro!

scott r and Mike,

There is a successful and highly respected pizza operator (bodegahwy) at the PMQ Think Tank, who is also a guitar player, whose Chet Akins byline in his posts always makes me laugh:

I told my father that when I grow up, I want to be a musician. He said, "Son, you can't do both."
Chet Atkins

Peter

Peter,

The man was right!  ;D 

Bodegahwy...I know that guy and his place isn't that far from me. But I forgot the name of his pizzeria.
Mike

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »
Bodegahwy...I know that guy and his place isn't that far from me. But I forgot the name of his pizzeria.

Mike,

bodegahwy's real name is Steve. He originally lived on Bodega Hwy between Sebastopol and the town of Bodega in California. He decided on bodegahwy as a PMQTT forum name when he couldn't find any version of "Steve" that would be accepted. He now lives is a major ski resort town in Colorado.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 03:55:16 PM »
Mike,

bodegahwy's real name is Steve. He originally lived on Bodega Hwy between Sebastopol and the town of Bodega in California. He decided on bodegahwy as a PMQTT forum name when he couldn't find any version of "Steve" that would be accepted. He now lives is a major ski resort town in Colorado.

Peter

Then it's not the guy I was thinking of. There's an acclaimed pizza place on the Coast near Bodega Bay which is not very far from me. Let me see if I can find the name.

Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
The place is called "Cafe Reyes":

http://www.cafereyes.net/

Suppose to be great pizza.
Mike

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 05:47:58 PM »
The place is called "Cafe Reyes":

http://www.cafereyes.net/

Suppose to be great pizza.

Mike,

That is Robert, who is an alumnus of the forum under the name aenaes1. He was originally inspired by Jeff Varasano's pizzas made in his modified home oven but later found his own way. Both on this forum and at the PMQTT, Evelyne Slomon, Bill/SFNM and I gave our advice and opinions to Robert as he was trying to decide what kind of dough and pizzas to make.

Peter

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »
Good for you Scott.  I'm jealous that you have such a large crowd and throw so many pies.  What a fest!  We'll need to do some recruiting here in Tampa.

Dork

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 10:29:47 AM »
thanks guys,    I still can't believe how hurting they are for news in these parts.    :)

Offline jamester

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »
thats crazy, not many of us around!   I do think cooking and music tend to draw in the same type of people...

Count me in - I've been a professional guitarist/instructor for the past fifteen years, ever since graduating from Berklee in the mid-90's.  I also have a small home studio but my production chops have suffered as my dough making has improved heheh.

Cooking and music are both performing arts, with the ultimate reward of making others happy through the skills we spend countless hours honing, refining, practicing etc.  Most of my musician/artist friends either cook professionally or are into food.

I miss Boston so much!  It's probably been ten years or so since I've last been there, but one of my former students just got accepted to Berklee so I promised him I'd come up and visit.  I can't imagine how different things must be up there now...

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »
I think you are right about the pizza/music thing.    The craziest small world moment ever came when I hung out with Chris Bianco and it turns out he was at every show my band played in Phoenix.  He is a HUGE music fan...even to the point where he has been producing records for local arizona bands.   Wild, huh!   

Boston is pretty much the same, but Berklee has changed A LOT!  They pay their teachers decent salaries now, and there are even tons of girls that attend the school.   I am always blown away when I see that male berklee students actually shower now.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:53:35 PM by scott r »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 10:49:53 PM »
Scott, 
You have also guided me a few times and I appreciate all the  knowledge help  you freely put forth! A music side "note" here as well. Before I ever made my first pizza I played the drums all through college in yes a Grateful Dead Band. Jerry was truly the man and it looked as though he may have really liked Pizza as well. At one point we even had the 2 drummers going! it was "great" Talk about a fun stage of life !! Yes it was a phase (long gone but not forgotten :'( ) Now it's pizza and bongos!
John
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:54:37 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jamester

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 01:09:05 AM »
Boston is pretty much the same, but Berklee has changed A LOT!  THey now pay their teachers decent salaries, and there are even tons of girls that attend the school now.   I am always blown away when I see that male berklee students actually see the need to shower now.
Too funny about the girls haha...I'll never forget how whenever there was word of a party, you always had to find out if it was a real party or a "Berklee party", meaning a bunch of dudes sitting around drinking beer discussing fusion or progressive rock.  Of course nowadays if it was a bunch of dudes sitting around drinking beers talking about pizza making, I'd probably think that sounded like a cool party! lol

Offline Aldo

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 03:42:18 AM »
scott r, there's a great article from Gourmet about Chris Bianco and the guy who opened a Seattle (Ballard neighborhood) pizza place -- Delancey's.  You should check it out. It's been a while since I did a batch of thin crust -- but I think I'll give a go again to the one I saw on the Boston news article with your recipe (which I've seen variants of here on this wonderful blog.)  I'm a Chicago and stuffed pizza guy, but when my dough's been in te fridge a while, I do thin, too.  Thanks!