Author Topic: Built my first LBE  (Read 1589 times)

Offline forzaroma

Built my first LBE
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
I finally got around to buiding my LBE and had mixed results. I am using 18" weber and I set it up with a 15 inch stone underneath a 13" stone. I bolted a 13 inch stone to the lid.

My first pie came out pretty good got the right char on top and was good on bottom as well. After the first pie I lowerd the flame but the temp still kept rising and my bottom stone temp kept climbing and therefore my following pies had great top char but bottom was burnt not at all what I wanted. Any suggestions on how I can even out thhe cooking?

Mike

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Built my first LBE
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
Looking good Mike.  I actually wouldn't change too much from your current setup as it looks like you are getting good results if the bake time is within reason.  Any idea how long that first pie took to bake?

As far as the stone getting hotter with subsequent bakes, I have always had that issue.  One thing that has worked for me is to lower the burner after the first bake to allow the stone to cool a bit while you are forming your 2nd skin.   I will typically load the 2nd and subsequent pies at a stone temp of 50f or so below the first one.  Once loaded, you can turn up the burner a bit to help char the rim.

Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:24:34 PM »
Jackie pie cooked at around 2:10 and after first bake I did turn all the way down but temp still kept rising. Any tips? Should I take away foil on sides? Btw doughwas 62 percent hydration

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:35:08 PM »
That is a great bake time.  Do you have an air gap between the 2 stones.  You can separate the stones with a few metal nuts.  That bit of an air gap should help.

Should I take away foil on sides? Btw doughwas 62 percent hydration

No that foil is helping to concentrate the heat and giving you that quick bake time.  If anything, you can experiment with widening up that hole towards the back just a bit to see what that does to your bake.

Are you using any type of a bowl or heat deflection underneath the stones?

Things are looking great though.

Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
I have a 13 inch stone bolted to the lid. Maybe if I put a piece if foil in between the 2 stones or raise the stones further away from the flame? My bakes are good but were burned on bottom on 2 and 3 pies

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
Yes, try small foil balls or nuts to separate the stones and then let us know if that fixes the problem.  I would still continue to lower the heat after the first bake.  You should notice a dramatic difference in stone temps.

Mike, are you using any type of a heat deflector or a sand bowl under the 2 stones?  I don't think you need to, but just curious.

Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 09:50:33 PM »
No nothing but if u think that would help the excessive charring on bottom crust . If I could get top results that I have and fix the bottom I would be a happy camper

Offline caseyspizza

• caseyspizzas.com
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:51:53 PM »
may want to remove the foil lining from the Weber kettle base, if it's there, it might be causing excessive insulation and bottom heat build up. I run my LBE based catering biz with two LBE's. I only tin foiled the kettle lid (multiple layers) and have the ash catcher mounted for reflective trick  :-D. Kettle base is bare Weber metal. For the hearth, I used a 14" old stone as base, and then split (1") fire bricks on top as baking surface. Never had any issue with stone temp climbing, mine always declines slightly, but I do a pie every 4 min on it. I pretty much run the a 5lb propane tank 80-100% for 3.5 hours straight. Tank is basically dust but I can make 40-50 pies. :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 09:57:16 PM by caseyspizza »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
may want to remove the foil lining from the Weber kettle base, if it's there, it might be causing excessive insulation and bottom heat build up. I run my LBE based catering biz with two LBE's. I only tin foiled the kettle lid (multiple layers) and have the ash catcher mounted for reflective trick  :-D. Kettle base is bare Weber metal. For the hearth, I used a 14" old stone as base, and then split (1") fire bricks on top as baking surface. Never had any issue with stone temp climbing, mine always declines slightly, but I do a pie every 4 min on it. I pretty much run the a 5lb propane tank 80-100% for 3.5 hours straight. Tank is basically dust but I can make 40-50 pies. :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Casey, that sounds great.  Running two LBEs as a mobile business.  Is there a thread that you have posted pictures of your set up?  The pies look great!  I love a 4 minute pie.

Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »
Casey I used a 13 inch stone to reflect. Do you think the plate would be better? Also I gave 2 stones on top of eachother do you think the bricks would be better?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 11:24:50 PM »
....  If anything, you can experiment with widening up that hole towards the back just a bit to see what that does to your bake....

Chau

Mike those  are killer pizzas for some of your first bakes!  I agree with Chau that the opening on the back of the stone (where the hot air gets to the top stone)  needs to be investigated.  It (appears) that the air flow may be constricted a bit compared to other builds that I have seen.  You might be trapping high heat under the stone that would have otherwise made it out the front vent.  But that is my .02 and your mileage may vary. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 05:55:56 AM »
Mike, looking good for your initial bake for sure.

Three of my last for sessions, including my most recent, on my LBE have resulted in inedible pizzas.....so you are way ahead of the game!

Casey! Are both of your Webers 18" kettles? Also, did you up your percentage of whole wheat flour you were using? Thanks. Good luck with the pizza truck. -k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »
Thanks they do look ok but not pleased with the bottom. I will mess around some more to get bottom where they need to be. The first pic is first pie, and second I believe the 3rd. As you can see too much char.

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 09:51:35 AM »
My second bake was better. I removed foil from the bottom and I open up the hole in the back for more air to flow over the tip of the pizza. I still need more top heat though. Any suggestions for more top heat?  I have HD foil and i have a 13 inch stone bolted to the top.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
High temperature insulation such as I describe here made a big difference for me. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9614.0.html

CL
Pizza is not bread.