Author Topic: Pizza from the "Tartine Bread" book  (Read 28170 times)

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza from the "Tartine Bread" book
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »
Posted on PizzaQuest this week, Eric Wolfinger (a baker at Tartine) bakes the same dough they used for the bakery into a pizza, if anyone is interested.  It says on the Pizza Quest website this pizza was made with the Country French Dough and yes, great pizza can come from a rinky dink oven as long as the dough is great.

Above Tartine, A Pizza is Made

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/webisodes/43-webisodes/212-tartine-upstairs-websode-2.html

Norma

Thanks for posting norma.

To my that pizza looks very uneven with an overly Burnt bottom relative to the top.  It also doesn't look opened enough for my taste.

I am forever endebted to the Tartine brain trust for their insights into fermentation management and bread making, but I don't think I would want to learn how to make pizza from them.

AZ

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »
Getting back in the swing of making pizzas. The Tartine method applied to Neapolitan dough continues to amaze. Two-day 60F dough with Tuscan starter: Maitake mushrooms, hot coppa, Oaxaca cheese, speck. Tried with and without tomato sauce. Without was definitely best. Also a great dessert pie that I'll post in the appropriate section.

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »
Bill that plate alone looks amazing!  Your pizzas(insert weird italian culinary kiss off the hand)!  Was this the exact tartine method or was there deviation with amount of turns and folds.  Also is your pizza dough just as jiggly as the bread dough before you divide and ball?  How does the dough handle the balling stage/degassing?

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »
Wow Bill! I'm drooling.. Great photography too. Did you saute the maitakes first, or are they just marinated?
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
Kinda/sorta Tartiney - never exact. I fold when I walk through the kitchen and the dough calls out to me. Maybe 6 or 7 foldings over a period of a few hours until the dough holds its volume even after folding. Seems just as jiggly. Sticky at shaping balls - minimal handling since there is no need to develop surface tension. Very easy to slap out. Light, fluffy, ethereal.  

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »
Wow Bill! I'm drooling.. Great photography too. Did you saute the maitakes first, or are they just marinated?

Thanks. Mushrooms were sauteed.

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2011, 02:31:15 PM »
I recall your video and the pizza that emerged from your fiery oven...the crumb unbelievable. Was this pizza a 70% pie aswell, did it cook at the same rates as that from the video? Also wheres the crumb shot?  Perhaps next week ill try incorporating this work flow into my pizza and see if its possible for me to get that same light crumb.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
I recall your video and the pizza that emerged from your fiery oven...the crumb unbelievable. Was this pizza a 70% pie aswell, did it cook at the same rates as that from the video? Also wheres the crumb shot?  Perhaps next week ill try incorporating this work flow into my pizza and see if its possible for me to get that same light crumb.

Yes, 70% hydration, probably more since I spritz the dough with water at every fold. Oven was cooler this time - probably took a little longer. Crumb shots are hard for me. I barely get enough time to fire off a few shots of the entire pie before the ravenous hoards descend. Once the pie is cut, it can be hazardous getting between my sweet, loving, affectionate family members and the pie. Next time.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »
Now that is one of the best looking pies I have seen on this site - and I just know it tasted just as good. Masterful Bill. I am going to be making dough tonight for pizzas tomorrow, and have decided that it needs to be Tartine. I will use my New England starter.

John

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2011, 02:45:25 PM »
Thank you, John. Note the only thing Tartiney about these pies is the folding, which allowed me to crank up the hydration over my normal 62%.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
Wow. You could have jsut gave me bread with the first plate and I would be happy. Was the pizza cooked at your usual temp?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2011, 03:04:53 PM »
Wow. You could have jsut gave me bread with the first plate and I would be happy. Was the pizza cooked at your usual temp?

Actually tomorrow lunch is Tartine bread with a bunch of antipasti - coppa, soppresata, speck, prosciutto, cheeses, olives, etc. Too bad tomatoes from the garden are still a month out.

Really no idea what the temp was. Regardless, when everyone is sitting at the table, the first pie hits the deck.

parallei

« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2011, 03:14:15 PM »
That's a real beauty Bill!  It is a great method.

This morning I made a Chicago thin crust dough using the Tartine method.  Sacrilege, I'm sure.........
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:25:44 PM by parallei »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »
That's a real beauty Bill!  It is a great method.

This morning I made a style Chicago thin crust dough using the Tartine method.  Sacrilege, I'm sure.........

Just using the words "Chicago" and "pizza" in the same sentence is a mortal sin.  Just kidding.   >:D  :angel:

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2011, 03:29:18 PM »
They make pizza in Chicago?

I found out the other day they make white wine too. Who knew?

Next someone will say they make BBQ outside of Texas!    ;)

CL
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:32:17 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »

Next someone will say they make BBQ outside of Texas!    ;)

There are pigs in Texas?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2011, 03:48:11 PM »
Big ones and little ones, squeely ones and BBQ'd ones.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:31:33 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2011, 04:03:40 PM »
lord of the flies anyone...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »
Bill,

Wow!  Your choice of toppings are always over the edge.  Simply beautiful pizza in every way!   :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »
Bill, gorgeous looking pizza....definitely one of the nice looking pies I've seen for sure.

Your passion for food and photography is resolutely conveyed in the pictures of your food.

It's been over five years since I have had any meat, but if I was at your house and you put that in front of me, I'd put a piece or two down.....outta respect padron! (not to mention it is probably bomb)  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell