Author Topic: Pizza from the "Tartine Bread" book  (Read 25066 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza from the "Tartine Bread" book
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »
I love the "special effects", Bill. Great job on the pizza and the video production.

Thanks, Ronzo. Actually there isn't a single effect in the video as it now stands. By the time I turn it in for a class I am taking in video editing, it will have a bunch of visual effects, color correction, a new sound track, and be quite a bit shorter. But for now, everything you see is what was actually recorded.

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2011, 09:53:12 PM »
Thanks, Ronzo. Actually there isn't a single effect in the video as it now stands. By the time I turn it in for a class I am taking in video editing, it will have a bunch of visual effects, color correction, a new sound track, and be quite a bit shorter. But for now, everything you see is what was actually recorded.
Was talking about the choreography to the music, and the slow-mo. Looked great. Eventually I want to take a class like you're taking too... so let me wish you good luck in it!
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »
Was talking about the choreography to the music, and the slow-mo. Looked great. Eventually I want to take a class like you're taking too... so let me wish you good luck in it!

I forgot, there is time-remapping on the very last scene with the close-up of the slice. The scene with the final fold of the dough is full-speed - I am just moving my arm very slowly. If you watch the other hand, it is moving at normal speed.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »
Bill,  everything looked great,  pizza video,  crumb.  Excellent job all around.  From your preliminary attempt at tartine pizza,  I for one never thought I would see a post like tonights.  So when do the rest of us get a hold of that tuscan starter so that it be preserved in the pizzamaking.com hall of fame. :chef: -marc

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2011, 11:00:16 PM »
Bravo Bill.  You have unmatchod skills as a pizzaola and as a food documentarian.

And Bravo JT.  I really love the new proportions of your pies the rim looks just perfect in  size and volume in relation to the flat.  They have really evolved aesthetucally of late I think.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2011, 12:28:50 AM »
Here is a video showing how I made pizzas using the Tartine method
Pizza making videos now have a new level to achieve.  You have raised the bar mighty high, the pizza looks absolutely stellar. 
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2011, 12:51:00 AM »
...  I made one with IDY and one with Starter...

OK, the first is the starter and the second is the IDY.  If I am wrong just tell me what was the tell-tale signs from the pictures that I should have caught. :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »
I too have the same guess as Jet Deck

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2011, 06:18:11 AM »
Bill - Your pizza in the video looks outstanding. Was this your normal cold ferment for the final proof, as you would a Tartine loaf?

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2011, 06:22:26 AM »
Chau - Awesome stuff. You keep pushing yourself and get successively better results. The second pie looks like starter.

John

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2011, 06:38:44 AM »
Bill - Your pizza in the video looks outstanding. Was this your normal cold ferment for the final proof, as you would a Tartine loaf?

John

Thanks, John. After folding, the dough continues to ferment in the fridge overnight. But after shaping, the final proof is always at room temp.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2011, 06:50:56 AM »
love the editing Bill !!! Great WORK !!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »
Bill,

Great video of showing how you use the Tartine method of making pizza.  :) I really love the video. The crust looks delicious!  Those WFOs are the best in combination with your techniques!  Truly a wonderful job all together.

Chau,

Your pizza using the Tartine method looks delicious also!  :)

Norma   
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2011, 10:56:05 AM »
Thanks Alexi, John, and Norma.  I thought the pies were good too.   :-D

First one is IDY and 2nd one is starter.   JD, I don't know if there are tell-tale signs, I just thought both crumbs were very similar in texture, taste, and look.  John got it right so maybe he can tell us how he did it.   

I will say that starter provided higher lift than the IDY dough which was a bit surprising but it may have been due to balling the starter dough much later in the fermentation process. 

Same weight, Starter dough is on the left and IDY dough on the right.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »
A few questions for you Bill so I hope you don't mind.

You probably don't time your bakes anymore, but was the bake time similar to your regular lower hydration pies?

Also did this pie have a similar crisp to the crust or less b/c of the increase hydration?  
Was the crumb perfectly moist/baked or was it slightly on the wet side?  
For future pizza, would you keep this hydration ratio or would you lower it a bit?

Just trying to get my head wrapped around WFO baking before I actually do it.

Many thanks,
Chau
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:19:06 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
A few questions for you Bill so I hope you don't mind.

You probably don't time your bakes anymore, but was the bake time similar to your regular lower hydration pies?

Also did this pie have a similar crisp to the crust or less b/c of the increase hydration?  
Was the crumb perfectly moist/baked or was it slightly on the wet side?  
For future pizza, would you keep this hydration ratio or would you lower it a bit?

Just trying to get my head wrapped around WFO baking before I actually do it.

So one would think these pies might take longer to bake since the dough has more moisture. But the weight of the raw dough ball was exactly the same as usual, so if I did the math right, there are ~100g of total water in each of these pies vs. ~95g for my previous ones.  Not a big difference; I would guess cooking times will me about the same.

Not sure why but these pies were a little crispier on the bottom. Perhaps I over compensated for the high hydration by using more bench flour than usual.

Crumb was perfect for my taste, not at all on the wet. Very, very soft - some bites almost melting away.

Not sure what to do about hydration next time, but I would guess I was over the reported 70% since I like to sprinkle water on the dough after each fold.   

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2011, 03:04:47 PM »
Thank you Bill.  My guess on why they were a bit crispier is that they were more aerated than your typically pies.  More aerated crumbs will give me a bit crispier crunchier bite.

Online R2-Bayou

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2011, 05:50:04 PM »
Here is a video showing how I made pizzas using the Tartine method with 70% hydration, Caputo 00 flour, and the Tuscan wild starter. The best crust I have ever eaten - incredibly light and tender and delicious. I'm not going to jump to conclusions like I have in the past after just one batch, but my fork mixer may be retired soon from pizza making. Definitely going to stick with this method for a while.

Please watch in HD if you can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SCWE9jZf2w

Awesome video!!
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2011, 11:49:30 AM »
Here is a video showing how I made pizzas using the Tartine method with 70% hydration, Caputo 00 flour, and the Tuscan wild starter. The best crust I have ever eaten - incredibly light and tender and delicious. I'm not going to jump to conclusions like I have in the past after just one batch, but my fork mixer may be retired soon from pizza making. Definitely going to stick with this method for a while.

Please watch in HD if you can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SCWE9jZf2w

Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to do this, very informative!!!

I've been searching but haven't seen what % starter you are using; is it the same from the book or have you deviated?  Thanks!

Mark

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2011, 11:56:55 AM »
Mark,

8% of total dough weight (usual amount for my pizza dough is 4%)