Author Topic: Trying a new Recipe  (Read 1620 times)

Offline jaksjerky

Trying a new Recipe
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »
I got this recipe from a local pizza joint I frequent and just want some feedback on the recipe and process.

Recipe:
In hobart bowl add 2 gallons hot and 1 gallon warm water
throw in 3 heaping spoonfuls of yeast (no brand but I suspect active dry)
Let sit for 10 minutes
Then add:
1 cup salt
1 cup vegetable oil
50 bag of flour (again no brand but I suspect high gluten from GFS)

mix 5.5-6 minutes then dump on table and cut strips and put on sheet pan
leave out for 1 hour +/- then into cooler

When dough is needed it is brought out of the cooler and put by sheeter.  They do not weigh out portions just guess and put through sheeter and put on screen dress and into oven.

( I used the Lehmann calc to make a 1/10th batch.  Thanks for that!)
Any thoughts?
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:10:16 PM by jaksjerky »

Offline jaksjerky

Re: Guidance on this dough please
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:05:09 PM »
I'm new to posting, but been reading lots of stuff on here.  I have made the dough, mixed up nicely in the kitchenaid and let it set for about an hour.  I had to put in oven, as the dough was cool and my kitchen wasn't the temp I think I needed.  Just turned on the oven for about 2 minutes to get it to about 80F and put the dough in there.  While that was resting, I made a sausage up, and a sauce up.  I am a sausage/jerky maker and just put together a nice spice with fresh pork and mixed it up. My wife and youngest daughter loved the first try.  For the sauce, I started with Bonta, cuz that is what my uncle uses as a base for his sauce at Myles' pizza pub in BG.  He seasones then cooks the sauce down overnight, then it is mixed with paste and water for the final, but I didn't want all the hassle tonight.  I just added some herbs and spices and water, I think it's ok for now but will have to see how it cooks.  The dough is not his, I just think his is a little doughy for me, as I like the thinner, crispier crust better.

I am going to cook on my grill with my stones on there.  I have never tried it before, but my oven just won't give me the temp. 

I really like reading when people tell their story of their pie, so I thought I would too.  I will put up pictures of before and after like others and look forward to some feedback (good and bad!)

Thanks for a great place!

Offline jaksjerky

Re: Trying a new Recipe
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »
Well here are my pizza's.  I thought they turned out pretty good but crust was overdone.  I just couldn't get my temp up high enough.  The dough didn't rise much, but I did not put in refrigerator before making pies.  I just could't wait! 

I have a few question's if someone could help.

Why would the leftover dough triple in size in bag in refrigerator?
Will using infrared for rotiss help with evening out upper and lower temps in grill? 

Please let me know what you think about my pies

Thanks all have a great day!

Offline jaksjerky

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:41:42 AM »
A few more Pictures

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 08:43:45 AM »
Well here are my pizza's.  I thought they turned out pretty good but crust was overdone.  I just couldn't get my temp up high enough.  The dough didn't rise much, but I did not put in refrigerator before making pies.  I just could't wait! 

I have a few question's if someone could help.

Why would the leftover dough triple in size in bag in refrigerator?
Will using infrared for rotiss help with evening out upper and lower temps in grill? 

Please let me know what you think about my pies

Thanks all have a great day!

I can answer the first question for you.  Once the temperature of the dough gets too warm, it doesn't matter if you place it in the refrigerator.  It will just continue to proof until the yeast dies.

Offline jaksjerky

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »
I can answer the first question for you.  Once the temperature of the dough gets too warm, it doesn't matter if you place it in the refrigerator.  It will just continue to proof until the yeast dies.

Thanks! 

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »
One thing I noticed from your pics is your heavy use of sauce. A heavily loaded pie takes longer to bake. I noticed your sauce and cheese is running out to the edge.  Next is a matter of taste, but I sauce lightly after a light brushing of olive oil( many do not oil), you can see white, then cheese, then your toppings and then a light coat of cheese last. I find too much cheese can overpower the other toppings but I did say that's my taste. I would also shoot for a thinner skin, yours seem rather thick.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Don 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:57:11 AM by buceriasdon »

pizzapan