Author Topic: ezzo pepperoni types  (Read 6633 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
ezzo pepperoni types
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:40:57 PM »
i called pennmac today to order some ezzo.. the sales ladies were gone but a very nice guy told me to call back tomorrow..

he mentioned i should get the 38mm.

are there any differences in 38mm and the 51mm other than size? are they just bigger or are they thicker too?

he mentioned the pepperoni is made with soy so it crisps up around the edges nicely.

The only thing is they only sell 25 pounds at a time but he said they might be able to break it up for me to send me less.

Offline WOMBAT

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: ezzo pepperoni types
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 07:38:22 PM »
Snowdy,
see if they will split the batch and i will take some as well
let me know how it goes

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 09:57:27 PM »
Penn Mac was recently willing to sell me two large sticks at a time.  It is amazing, but the next best and VERY close is the Hormel Rosa, or Rosa Grande.  They sell them at my local Wall Mart believe it or not.  In taste tests, only a few people picked out the ezzo as being better.  They both cup and char the same.
I emailed Hormel asking where to find the Rosa in my area, and they responded.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 05:09:29 AM »
I'm gonna have to check Wal Mart here and see if they carry the Hormel Rosa. 

It's funny you mentioned cupping.  I just read an article somewhere on PMQ that stated that if the pepperoni cups that something is wrong with the pepperoni...   :-\
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 06:21:21 AM »
snowdy,

The 38mm Ezzo is a little thicker than the 51mm, but not by very much, 1-2mm maybe.

Nathan,

Don't worry about cupping pepperoni. The cupping is caused from an edible calogin casing on the pepperoni. The 38mm Ezzo pep is the only Ezzo brand with this casing, I think. The 41 and 51mm don't have it.

If cupping is a sign of bad pep then Donato's is in a world of hurt ;)

JAG

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »
It seems to be popular opinion around the Boston foodservice providers that cupping means bad pepperoni.  I have tried to explain to them that they should carry Ezzo, but they are afraid of the cupping/visible oil that is produced.  I grew up with Ezzo in pittsburgh, sot to me it means real pepperoni.

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 09:07:01 PM »
It seems to be popular opinion around the Boston foodservice providers that cupping means bad pepperoni.  I have tried to explain to them that they should carry Ezzo, but they are afraid of the cupping/visible oil that is produced.  I grew up with Ezzo in pittsburgh, sot to me it means real pepperoni.

man thats too bad... cupping rules.... as for the extra grease... nothing a few pats with a paper towel can't cure :)

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 09:07:58 PM »
Okay, just ordered 6 sticks of ezzo pepperoni from Rose at pennmac.com
She rules.. very nice. I asked for Rose personally as suggested by a few of you guys.

if you are looking to step up your ingredients (cheese, pep, etc) call this place. they rule.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 01:20:18 PM »
I want some Ezzo!!!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline WOMBAT

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 05:10:43 PM »
CALL ROSE AT 412-919-0447 SHE WILL HOOK YOU UP
  00 FLOUR -EZZO-GRANDE 50/50
THEY HAVE IT ALL

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 05:26:43 PM »
Penn Mac was recently willing to sell me two large sticks at a time.  It is amazing, but the next best and VERY close is the Hormel Rosa, or Rosa Grande.  They sell them at my local Wall Mart believe it or not.  In taste tests, only a few people picked out the ezzo as being better.  They both cup and char the same.

I've seen it in Wal-Mart in the past, but not recently.  I'll contact Hormell and see what they say.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 12:08:43 PM »
Here's what the guy in the article on PMQ said about cupping:

Slaughter said performance in
the oven, however, is the real test
for all meat toppings. Customers
expect meats to look better coming
out of the oven than when they went
in, he said. “It can’t be greasy or
charred when it comes out the
other end of the oven, it should be
nicely browned.”
And properly shaped, in the case
of pepperoni, said Ronzio’s Angelone.
“If we have cupping, that means
we have a problem with the
pepperoni, because we don’t want
that,” he said. “We do put pepperoni
above the cheese to get that
browning we like, though. It gives it a
good flavor.”

I'm not sure who "Slaughter" is. 

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 01:31:15 PM »
Nathan,

You may have already been at this site but here it is. It may help you out with your question regarding the cupping.
http://www.ezzo.com/product_description.htm#aname

Note the 38mm discription: Calogen casing to produce cupping.

The 38mm is supposed to cup because of its casing, a la Donato's. Cupping doesn't mean the pep is bad as in rancid but bad for some pizza joints, because they don't want people saying  'the meat is to greasy lets buy XYZ pizza instead". If you talk to Donato's fans they want the cupping and the grease that goes along with it.

No correct choice here, just a preference in pep.

JG

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 12:15:33 AM »
Hey Jag thanks for the replies.

I don't agree with this whole "cupping pepperoni"? thing either.  The first time I read that article I knew that most people on here would probably disagree with that statement.  Personally I like it to cup at least a little. 

I checked at the local Wal Mart today and they don't carry the Hormel Rosa.  All they have is Bridgford which I can get just about anywhere around here.  The Wal Mart here isn't a Super Wal Mart or whatever they're called it's an older store and they don't carry many groceries at all.  They just started carrying what they do have a couple years ago or so.  Originally they didn't carry any.

As far as that Bridgford goes, I'm not a big fan of it myself.   IMO it's grease city.  I have some pictures of a pizza that I made using that and it's pretty sad (the grease).  I sopped up all that I could with about 4 paper towels and it stained the cheese and whatnot.   ;D I'll post the "Bridgford pics" in a few minutes...   Oh and for the price of Bridgford they can keep it  :P  $10 a pound for pepperoni in outright ridiculous if you ask me.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 03:52:46 PM »
OK here's the picture.  This was a mediocre pizza cause it was late and I was in a hurry, I didn't heat the stone up enough so it didn't brown as much as I like but you can still see all the grease from the pepperoni.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 04:31:11 PM »
Oh here's another one of it before I sliced it

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 06:35:21 PM »
Nathan,
Thanks for sharing your pictures.

I wish more members took photographs. Your photographs look great and I bet the pizzas tasted pretty good as well. I really like the puffy rim.

Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Pepperoni King

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 06:57:14 PM »
If you are looking for Hormel Rosa or Rosa Grande stick pepp's they are sold in foodservice.  Some of these pepperoni's are stocked at foodservice distributors.  You may want to check with them The difference between rosa and rosa grande as one has a collagen casing and the other is a natural casing. 

In general the 38mm pepp's are designed to cup, char and grease out.  The 50 MM pep's are designed to stand up in high temp ovens.  Not cup, char, shrink or grease out etc.  There are certain regions such as Columbus Ohio that many shops use the cup and char greasy products.  For most areas of the nation a cup, char, grease out pepperoni is a bad thing.  This can also be caused if a pepperoni becomes warm.