Author Topic: hard water effect on starter  (Read 814 times)

buceriasdon

hard water effect on starter
« on: October 20, 2010, 06:10:21 AM »
So this morning I am throwing out my last attempt at a wild yeast starter. One more failure. So I'm sitting here drinking a lousy cup of coffee made with the local purified water and I think, could this be my problem? I know I can follow directions, I was married for 16 years, and I have located unbromated flour, so the problem is either heat, well yea, it's Mexico, or the water I have been using. Though it's purified I believe it is still high in salts and minerals, plus it really doesn't taste great. Food for thought.
Don

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: hard water effect on starter
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:38:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about your failed starter.  I have no idea about the effects of minerals on a starter.  I have hard water in NM here and can do an experiment if you like.

Do you have access to bottled water from elsewhere?

Chau

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:06:19 AM »
Don,

I have relatively hard and alkaline well water - best drinking water ever. But early-on I ran into contamination problems that disappeared when I started using bottled water for feeding. I also found I was able to get more consistent results by using bottled water to make my doughs. The bottled water I use is from half-liter bottles I buy by case at the warehouse store.

Your supplier of bottled water (delivered in big plastic jugs to your home?) may be using surface or well water of unknown and inconsistent origin. If it tastes bad then .....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:08:54 AM by Bill/SFNM »

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:12:21 PM »
Thanks Bill and Chau, I'll be buying some imported bottled water and some $10 a lb. rye flour then and try again .
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Well, I decided not to toss the starter out yesterday, this morning I woke up to this. Seems to be a layer of hooch with activity on top. Stir down, toss out half and use bottled water and unbromated flour to feed? Nothing to lose at this point I figure.
Don

pizzapan