Author Topic: First Video of making a pizza on my new 2Stone Oven  (Read 4057 times)

Offline ringkingpin

First Video of making a pizza on my new 2Stone Oven
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:29 AM »
Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a couple weeks and have enjoyed learning about all things pizza.  I've also enjoyed reading some of the banter that goes on in here, lol.  I suppose it's like any other internet forum that has to do with a hobby or a way of life in which people are quite passionate and hold very strong opinions.  FWIW, I will not try to replicate PaPA John's Pizza. lol
So this was my fifth time cooking on the two stone oven.  The first couple times, I tried recipes which I had been using in my oven and on my grill which just weren't suited for the temps the two stone gets to.  I then made a recipe from the A16 cook book I have and also made the "emergency dough" recipe from this forum.  The Cold Proof A16 recipe worked very, well and the results were excellent.  The emergency recipe is pretty good too, in a pinch.
Last night I decided to throw together the emergency dough but used 25% redmill whole wheat just for the hell of it.  From the time I measured the ingredients to the time I had a pizza on the stone was sixty minutes, far from optimal but it worked and it was tasty.  I took a video which I'd like to share with you.  I look forward to learning more from what seemingly appears to be the best pizza making resource in the world!

Cheffrey

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline ringkingpin

Re: First Video of making a pizza on my new 2Stone Oven
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:02:23 AM »
Sorry guys, I need to up my post count before I can put in a hyper link it appears.   :-X

If you put this in to the youtube search bar, my video is the first one which pops up. 

?v=i-uBJ8shq-0
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:08:19 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-uBJ8shq-0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-uBJ8shq-0</a>

Cool oven and nice looking pie.  Welcome aboard.  ;D

Chau
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:10:32 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 10:09:10 AM »
ringkingpin,

Your 2stone oven looks great.  Your pizza sure cooked fast and looks delicious.   :)

Looking forward to seeing more posts and pizzas from you.

Norma
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:14:43 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:20:20 AM »
Thank you for the kind words and thanks Jackie for putting up the link.
I'm pretty happy with the results that I'm getting right now but I know there is a lot of room for improvement. 
 Brillat-Savarin

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:39:24 AM »
Cheffrey,

That's a good looking pizza. Which emergency dough recipe did you use?

As for replicating a Papa John's pizza, you don't know what you are missing  :-D. However, because of the high sugar content of the PJ clone dough, you might not be able to bake it in your 2Stone unit. It might work if you put the dressed pizza on a pizza screen and then put the pizza on the screen onto your stone. There is also an emergency PJ clone dough in the PJ thread.

Peter

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 10:53:21 AM »
Oh man Pete, I thought I'd be safe in this section with a little jab about the PJ pizza thread, lol.
My next type of pizze I'm going to try to make is a New York style, I just need to dig a little to find which doughs can take this heat.

It was funny, when I first got this oven, I wanted to see how hot I could get it.  My heat gun is supposed to go to 1000 degrees but I was actually getting readings on it close to 1200 degrees and then it'd get tapped out a number 1 would appear on the screen.  Silly me, I tossed a pie on with my dough I was cooking at 500 degrees.  I had some cheese too close to the edge and when the crust puffed up (very quickly) that piece of cheese slid off the pizza instead of towards the middle and immediately ignited which caught the entire pizza on fire, lol.  There has been a little bit of a learning curve working at these temps but I think I got it.

My emergency dough is the one taken from the collection of emergency doughs in the general pizza making forum. 

320 grams 00
200 grams h20
6.5 grams dry active (recipe calls for 5 grams of KA Instant and found a conversion of 1.25 dry active to ever 1 gram of instant)
5 gram evoo
5 grams of salt

Brillat-Savarin

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »
My emergency dough is the one taken from the collection of emergency doughs in the general pizza making forum. 

320 grams 00
200 grams h20
6.5 grams dry active (recipe calls for 5 grams of KA Instant and found a conversion of 1.25 dry active to ever 1 gram of instant)
5 gram evoo
5 grams of salt

If I am not mistaken, the emergency dough recipe is the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9876.msg85776.html#msg85776 but using 25% Bob's Red Mill whole wheat flour.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:20:43 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
Yup, that's the recipe Pete.  I just substituted 25% of the flour with the RedMill Whole Wheat. 
I'm not familiar with that bread maker either but don't imagine they mix nearly as fast as a kitchen aid so I used the dough hook and the kitchen aid at around 30% power and went for 15 minutes of mixing.  Since I was in a rush, I did the first proof and the ball proof all at room temp.  I think next time I do a whole wheat emergency, I'm going to bump it up to 30 or 35%.
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 03:30:30 PM »
The damn thing works.  I hope Willard makes a million bucks off it.

Great Video, Geoff! 

Between you and Rolling Stonebaker, B.S. is becoming pizza destination.

(I hope you don't use the local water.)

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »
Great lookin' pie and oven.  I have an older 2Stone and that's the only way to go if you want that kinda heat without a WFO.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »
Cheffrey, welcome aboard and nice video! Looks like a solid emergency dough and a good looking pie.

Thanks for providing the link JT.

Cheffrey, a couple of questions:

1. Is that the Inferno or Pizza Pro? It looks like you may be bending down slightly to load the pizzas?? Guessing maybe this indicates the Inferno?

2. Did you elect the fibrament top or the Turbo Top?

3. What sized propane tank are you using and have you made enough pies yet to get an average burn rate on how long a tank lasts in your 2 Stone?

4. How much does your two stone weigh?

What's a fill up of 20# tank of propane going for these days...more or less?

The LBE is a much more cost efficient work around for pizza and would be great because I would build it. However, it appears the 2Stone may be a better application for consistency.

I have an idea and outdoor location in mind where a 2 Stone or LBE might be a good fit.

Thanks for any help you can lend! --K  :)

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline a pizza cu a Pumarola

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Bought a 2Stone Pro a year ago and I'm amazed at how well it works. Even with the crude temperature settings I can now manage to obtain consistently great pizzas.
I've only used Caputo flour and usually bake around the 875F mark. The result is Neapolitan Style pizzas in roughly 90 seconds.

A real simple design that does a great job with a minimal learning curve although I think there is room to improve the temperature control.

Robert

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 07:41:57 PM »
Pizza blogger, I bought the inferno for two reasons. I'm not planning on moving mine and that was all Willard had at his shop the weekend I drove up there. Right now I have it sitting on some Indiana 8"x8" limestone pieces at 24" tall. I'm six five so it is a little low. I plan on bringing it up to 32" or 40" at the base. I'm paying about fifteen bucks for a refill on the 20lb tank I use.  You never really exhaust all the gas out of the tank so I'm actually refilling around sixteen lbs each time.
When I fire it up and turn it wide open it's around 750 degrees in ten minutes. If you leave it wide open it'll be around 1200f in fifteen minutes.
How many pies you get out of a tank depends how many times you heat the stones up from ambient and how quickly you make your pizzas. Willard claims if your efficient and do one long pizza session you can do 200 pizzas. I'm pretty lazy and make one, eat it while it's still on, make another etc.
I have the tube top version which is basically a piece of aluminum diamond plate between two stones. The unit with the stones out probably weighs around 70 lbs I'm guessing. I just bear hugged it and carried it to it's final resting place. No biggie.
Right now the gas regulator is right on the valve where the tank is. I plan to drill a hole on the side and mount a bulkhead type gas valve so I can adjust it while I'm standing In front.
I have all sorts of smokers and grills including some huge ones. At my house I have a large big green egg and the two stone. I think it's the ultimate setup for residential work. The twostone isn't the cheapest thing but I really like the design, the quick startup ti,e (time is money) and the consistent results. If you have any questions or want to see and pics of something in particular just let me know.
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Cheffrey, thank you for your detailed responses to my questions.

I would be looking for a long pizza session, with a likely heavy demand for three hours and an uncertain, but likely slower period, of two hours (early morning) in the setting I am thinking about.

70 pounds is do-able. Could rig some type of a movable, temporary stand for it.

Definitely need to get my total time to make a pizza reduced, significantly.....especially now that I am using a relatively new shaping technique (slap) for myself. Only done about 10 pies that way now. I need to get into the 1:00 to 1:30 total time to open a skin and dress it for cooking. I'm way up around 2:00, depending on the amount toppings it could be a little more.

Thanks very much! --K

Offline rodeo

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 12:08:29 AM »
I wish i had a picture of my setup with my 2stone oven.  My good friend made me a stand from drift wood, it looks great.  I got the inferno about 18 months ago and love it.  I have been making pizzas in my friends bar once a week through out the summer.  Making 55 - 60 pizza every session. The oven has paid for its self many times over. My 20# propain tank is still half full when i get done.  Would love to get one of the new stainless steel ones
rodeo 

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »
Good looking cooker and good looking pie right there!  I like my LBE I built, but I would not mind having a 2 stone like that

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »
Prompted by Pizza Ploggers observation of having to bend down to get to the oven, I decided to raise the oven up a little over the weekend.  I added two courses of limestones and almost gave myself a hernia in the process!  I'd guess those 32" stones are 120+ lbs.  It's at a much better height now!  Yeah!

http://dunesman.com/photo/gallery/IMG_58761D69-A9D6-453F-B036-74D6BB5B6668_lg.jpg

http://dunesman.com/photo/gallery/IMG_AE2CCF36-5C92-4A69-A382-6268A20B5E71_lg.jpg
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:42:13 AM by ringkingpin »
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
Heavy lifting!

Digging the cedar shingles everywhere!

I'm guessing from all the wood shingles, what looks to be a wooden deck or wooden walkway leading to the left and the dunesman name on the photo links that you live somewhere very close to the ocean?

Looking like a nice set up for pie making. --K

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Pizzablogger, good guess.  I'm actually on the South Eastern Tip of Lake Michigan, smack dab in the middle of the Dunes Nat'l Park. 

***As a side note, I just finished replacing all the cedar shingles on the entire house.  It was a monster of a job!
 Brillat-Savarin

pizzapan