Author Topic: I ordered my new range, has a pizza mode!  (Read 3326 times)

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
I ordered my new range, has a pizza mode!
« on: October 21, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »
Hi,

In my previous post I was asking for some recommendations, but I saw in another thread that the GE range was recommended as it goes up to 550 degrees (my current range only goes up to 500 degrees) and it has a pizza mode!  I don't know how effective the pizza mode actually is, but I went ahead and ordered it anyway.  I only have the space for a conventional electric 30" household range, so there wasn't that much choice.  But I'm excited about it, as it has two ovens--and both ovens have the pizza mode!

This is the one I ordered:  http://www.homeeverything.com/web/sitefiles/product.asp?sku=23227

My old range is starting to "act up" and my husband offered to buy this for me as an early Christmas present--he knows how I love baking in general!

Can't wait to get it!   ;D  Genie
Happy newbie pizza maker here, still learning!  I use my 22 year old KitchenAid K5SS and am waiting for a brand new Hobart N50.  Recently purchased a "slightly used" one on eBay but it turned out to be a disaster.  Be careful when buying used equipment on eBay. I have learned a good lesson from this.  Also have a Zojirushi bread machine, baking stone, and Super Peel (can't seem to learn to use that the RIGHT way, but working on it).

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: I ordered my new range, has a pizza mode!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »
Thats a great looking oven!
 8)

Genie,
Am I to understand,that you will use the upper oven to bake your pizza inside of?

It looks like with the low deck height of the upper oven,it may shorten oven warm up time and maybe cook more evenly?Do you know how hot the upper oven can get or is it the lower part thats rated to 550?

Im going to swing by Lowes up the road from me later and see if they have something similar there to see in person.The nearest appliance store is 30 miles away so Lowes will have to do for now.

Am very curious about this oven myself,its very nice.
Best of Luck with it!
 :chef:

-Bill
-Bill

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 06:26:42 PM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the good wishes!

Right now, I'm not really sure what I will be doing but I, too, was thinking that the upper oven would be better.  I'm not sure if they both go to 550 degrees, as I haven't even seen this unit in person, as I ordered it from the site I posted.  I do know both ovens have the pizza mode but only the bottom has convection.  I was told convection was not a good idea for pizza so I guess that doesn't matter one way or the other.

Actually, it was in Lowes that I got the idea to buy a double oven range.  They did have other models, but not this one.  If you see one in person, please tell me about it!

Thanks and have a great day!   :)  Genie
Happy newbie pizza maker here, still learning!  I use my 22 year old KitchenAid K5SS and am waiting for a brand new Hobart N50.  Recently purchased a "slightly used" one on eBay but it turned out to be a disaster.  Be careful when buying used equipment on eBay. I have learned a good lesson from this.  Also have a Zojirushi bread machine, baking stone, and Super Peel (can't seem to learn to use that the RIGHT way, but working on it).

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:01:23 PM »
Wow, That is very nice looking. Xmas early!!! ;D

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »
Genie,Others,etc,

I just got back from Lowes and they had 3 models with double ovens similar to the one you are buying.One was a Maytag and the other was another brand(I forget the name),but they did have a nice GE model that looks similar to the one you are buying but a less expensive version.

It was a cheaper unit,about 1200 and looked nearly identical on the outside.I did see, the controls on the top were a bit different.

Very nice ovens though!! The GE top oven has both elements which has to be excellent.You can switch to broil if you need to with a push of the button.I can imagine with a pizza on a stone,if you need to broil the top,you no longer have to remove the pizza out from the bottom and raise it near the top like you would a traditional elec oven.

It will be close enough to get the heat it needs from the top element.If this works as well as it LOOKS like it might,one may have to change/adjust the cook times,dough,or etc accordingly over what we are used to doing now.

One of the other brands,the Upper oven only had a broiler element and none on the floor.I wouldn't choose that one though.

I really love the design of the oven and it looks perfect for using it to make Pizza and alot of other foods as well.Its so much like a small deck oven in shape and size.The sales rep told me they all go to 550.The cleaning cycle will be close to 1000 degrees.(prob more realistic in the 900 range)

You got me looking at these ovens now.I will need a new one myself soon and this will be perfect for pizza.

At least visually it is.It looks a bit easier to get a pie in and out of the oven,since its located higher up.Shorter top door means less chance of burning yourself and feeling the flash of high heat like the Huge bottom doors give out when opening.I think another plus is that you can see through the top glass door with the light on too.Will help keep us from opening and closing the door too much.
 :chef:

This is all preliminary folks.I cant say for sure how well it cooks but I can imagine you all can make good use of it anyways.I mean,you guys/gals are making elec ovens behave like WFO's and etc.
 :-D

-Bill

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
Aha,heres the one I seen I was talking about.I like the one Genie is getting a bit more,but wanted to show you all what I seen in the store.This one below does NOT have the air convection system.

http://www.homeeverything.com/web/sitefiles/product-23212/JB850SPSS.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:18:58 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
Hi,

Glad you found a GE oven, even though it's not the same one!  I think I saw a Maytag and a Whirlpool at Lowes.  While I was there, I noticed some of them didn't seem to have heating elements on the bottom, but when I read the literature that comes with the oven, it tells you the bottom element is hidden (I guess under the metal bottom).  I have no idea if this adversely affects the heating capabilities.  I think the one I ordered has the hidden element on the bottom oven but not on the top, but both ovens have the pizza mode (whatever that is) so I guess it's okay.

I really wasn't looking for convection in particular but since my husband told me to pick out anything I wanted, why not go for the best?   ;)  I don't have to use the convection if I don't want to but I think it may be beneficial with other kinds of baking.  I also liked the idea that it has no knobs--that much less to clean!  It also has 5 burners instead of 4 and one with something that's called "PowerBoil".  It also has a bridge burner that connects 2 or 3 burners so you can use a large griddle on it, something I can't do with my current ceramic top.  Something tells me I will have to LEARN to use this new stove!

My neighbor, who already owns a convection oven, told me that it was not a good idea to use with exposed liquids or fatty roasts, as the fan splattered the whole oven with the grease.  I can see that happening, so I will probably only use it for baking cakes, breads or covered dishes.

Well, we may not eat for a few days after I get it, so I have time to figure it out!   :o

Bill, hope you treat yourself to a new stove, new things are so much fun!  And thanks again for the report on the stove!   :) Genie

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 10:16:25 PM »
Genie, I almost bought that same oven, the smaller top pizza oven looks like a great way to save energy.    I never use the convection on my oven for pizzas, but I love having that feature for other baking.   It really browns up all sorts of things much better and more evenly than normal ovens.  I especially like it for crisping up any breaded items, fries and well.... anything you want to be crispy.   My favorite feature is that while using the convection mode a third heating element in front of the fan kicks in that gets the oven pre heated much faster than it normally would.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 12:02:21 AM »
Scott,
I assumed from what I had seen online,the convection part only works in the lower,larger part of the oven,is that correct?

The ovens I looked at did not have a convection fan set up,so I was not able to say if an oven with one,and an upper deck,can also circulate the air in the top part as well.I just assumed it may not since the smaller space and etc.

Genie,
I cant wait to hear the results of your new oven for whatever cooking you do.Of course,the Pizza results will be on top of that list!
 ;)

-Bill

-Bill

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 12:26:41 AM »
Scott,
I assumed from what I had seen online,the convection part only works in the lower,larger part of the oven,is that correct?

The ovens I looked at did not have a convection fan set up,so I was not able to say if an oven with one,and an upper deck,can also circulate the air in the top part as well.I just assumed it may not since the smaller space and etc.

Genie,
I cant wait to hear the results of your new oven for whatever cooking you do.Of course,the Pizza results will be on top of that list!
 ;)

-Bill

Hi Bill,

I see you directed the first question to Scott but I can tell you that the convection is in the lower oven only.  None of the ones I saw in Lowes or the one I purchased have convection in the top oven.

Believe me, I can't wait to see how this stove works, also!  But I have to wait to hear about delivery and I don't think it's as fast as purchasing something at a local appliance store.  I have never bought anything like this before on line, so we'll see.

At this very moment, I'm baking an apple pie and I was SO wishing I had my new stove!  Couldn't really do pizza this late as I need to have someone up to eat it--can't really eat a whole pie by myself (but sometimes I feel like I could)!  But my husband will eat the apple pie for breakfast.   :)

I am such a novice at all of this but I'm very happy that everyone likes the stove I picked out.  Still hoping you will get your stove...and have a good night!   :)  Genie

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 12:43:05 AM »
i read your sig and think this might help you.

http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/2009/02/super-peel.html

Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 01:15:02 AM »
Genie,
You said 2 other magic words,(to me they are) online.
Those words are,"Apple Pie."

I love Apple Pie...just about any type.Next to Pizza,its one of my favorite foods even though its more of dessert.
 ;D

-Bill

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 01:16:52 AM »
i read your sig and think this might help you.

http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/2009/02/super-peel.html

Hi,

Thanks for the info!  I am just going to have to try again--right now at least I'm getting some use out of the peel by having my pizzas on parchment paper and using the peel (without the pastry cloth) to transfer them to the baking stone.  But I could have done that with any peel, I didn't have to get the costly Super Peel.  I have also already watched the videos on the Super Peel site and nothing seems to help, maybe I'm just a "klutz"!

It does give me some encouragement to try again when I see someone that is so pleased with it and I will definately work on it.  I told my husband to try it to see if he can do it, but I told him he's responsible for any mess he makes!   :o

Thanks again and have a good night (can't believe I'm up this late)!   :)  Genie

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 01:24:26 AM »
Genie,
You said 2 other magic words,(to me they are) online.
Those words are,"Apple Pie."

I love Apple Pie...just about any type.Next to Pizza,its one of my favorite foods even though its more of dessert.
 ;D

Just to let you know, the apple pie turned out GREAT!  :P  Used a new crust recipe and the crust turned out like a light, flaky butter cookie--I never tasted anything like it before!  The pie is really too hot to eat right now but I had a piece of leftover crust dough and just stuck it in the oven shaped like a big round cookie and I ate that as soon as it was done--WOW!  I think it will be great with the apples.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »
Looks nice! I like the idea of a smaller oven on top.
If he gave you the open ticket, Its pricey but I would have selected the Wolf Oven. just checked not sure the 30"  comes with stone? http://www.wolfappliance.com/GasRanges/R30GasRange  comes with that option?  I have the 36" dual fuel. I have been using this for 5 years. It Has a bake stone setting and comes with a beautiful thick pizza stone and a seperate element that goes right under the stone when in use I have achieved stone temps of close to 675 after nice preheat.  Cant wait to see your new creations!! Merry Christmas!!
John
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:49:06 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BTB

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
Genie, interesting thread that I had not noticed before.  A couple of years ago my wife and I bought a GE Profile slide-in electric range with a single oven and we absolutely love it.  It had about the largest size oven by far compared to all those we viewed, has 8 oven rack levels with 3 racks included (most other brands have only 3 or 4 rack levels), the convection feature (which I now learned I can really do without), and what I found to be important was no visible heating elements.  I guess they are hidden somehow behind the interior panels.  So for pizzamaking, I generally use the absolute bottom rack level or one above it.  Sometimes I turn the convection fan on just to help brown the top of the pizza if the browning of the top needs to catch up with the browning of the bottom.

The "Profile" series is GE's Cadillac-like models as I understand it and supposedly is highly thought of in the industry.  I'll think you'll get many years of good service out of it and hope it helps with your pizza making.  Some day in the future we may be interested in one with a dual electric oven like yours, so please let us know how the dual oven feature has been working out for you.  I hadn't seen any follow up report on how satisfied you are with it.  One minor drawback I can see would be the loss of the lower storage drawer where one may put square and odd shaped pans into, but maybe the dual oven is worth it.

--BTB

pizzapan