Author Topic: High Temp Countertop Oven  (Read 13777 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: High Temp Countertop Oven
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 11:11:06 PM »
In the US the receptacles are single phase 110v and almost always only one circuit has been run from the panel so you cannot convert over to 220. Another line would have to be run from the panel. The only 220 circuit in the kitchen tends to be for the range. Either way it means $$ to get the setup for the counter top oven.( unless you know how to do it your self, however I do not recommend this for the everyday DIY guy )  35 years electrical experience. 8)

Jeep,

What about using a step up/step down transformer that converts from 110 V to 220/240V such as this one

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=110+to+240V+transformer&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivs&resnum=3&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11970344331952328475&ei=DZjHTPaoB4X2tgPOmOziDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CF0Q8wIwBA#
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Matthew

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 05:39:53 AM »
Jeep,
My house has central heat and air..that said we still have the electric coiled wall heaters built into the walls that run off 220 volts to the fuse box.There are two of them with their own 220 circuits.

We do not use the wall heaters anymore,but they do work if we switch them ON.Btw,this is in the USA if it matters.

That said,could an electrician use this already wired 220 set up down at the box and use the wires or run new wires into the kitchen somewhere if we bought a stove like posted above?We don't need the wall heaters and never use them anyway.

Just wondering what you thought.

-Bill

Bill,
You could use the current wire if you have an electrician disconnect the wall heater & use the wire to install a receptacle at that location.  If you're planning on using a different location, then you will have to run a new wire from the fuse box.  The receptacle will look like this & you will have to buy the corresponding plug for the oven.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 05:44:08 AM by Matthew »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 09:57:34 AM »
Matt,
wow another toy ! I am still working on the oliera for you says they can be imported. anyway good luck sunday! going with a Lehman formula? High gluten? maybe a touch of Caputo? cant wait enjoy!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2010, 11:11:53 AM »
Jeep,
My house has central heat and air..that said we still have the electric coiled wall heaters built into the walls that run off 220 volts to the fuse box.There are two of them with their own 220 circuits.

We do not use the wall heaters anymore,but they do work if we switch them ON.Btw,this is in the USA if it matters.

That said,could an electrician use this already wired 220 set up down at the box and use the current wires or run new wires into the kitchen somewhere if we bought a stove like posted above?We don't need the wall heaters and never use them anyway.

Just wondering what you thought.

-Bill

Bill,
  The panel should be able to handle the change from feeding the electric heaters to an outlet with no problem. Your electrician will make sure that the wire is sized to enable it to handle the amperage draw of the new outlet and all should be fine. It is good that you are going to be able to make use of the old wall heater for something so enjoyable. :pizza:
Time is money, money is power, power is pizza and pizza is knowledge.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2010, 11:15:12 AM »
Matt,
wow another toy ! I am still working on the oliera for you says they can be imported. anyway good luck sunday! going with a Lehman formula? High gluten? maybe a touch of Caputo? cant wait enjoy!
John

Ha....You remembered.....Good man!  To be honest I have never tried Lehman.  Will probably go with a Manitoba/Caputo blend Sourdough, not sure what proportions yet.

Matt

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2010, 11:25:26 AM »
Jeep,

What about using a step up/step down transformer that converts from 110 V to 220/240V such as this one

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=110+to+240V+transformer&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivs&resnum=3&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11970344331952328475&ei=DZjHTPaoB4X2tgPOmOziDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CF0Q8wIwBA#
Essen,
  I would have to do some homework on this one, I don't normally feel confortable with these types of portable transformers on potentially high amp draw circuits over long term use ( Just a personal thing). Heating elements tend to draw a lot of juice thus creating a lot of heat on the wiring if the sizing is not correct.  A number of factors come into play here 1. What is the circuit size that the transformer is being plugged into? (Most houses are set up for 15amps on the majority of the outlets, there are some exceptions) 2. What is the amp draw of the proposed oven? Then there is the energy draw of the transformer, they draw amperage in doing their job so this plays into the equation.  
With all that being said the transformer is a good short term fix but in no way a perminant solution. Short term = 6 months or less.     Just my 2 cents worth :)

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2010, 11:27:44 AM »
Matt,
John
  Matt seems to have all the good toys, I am a little envious.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »
Scott,
You're not kidding.  In half hour the temp was at 975 & climbing.  The top thermostat had shut off but the bottom was still on.  A few more minutes & I could of easily hit 1000 degrees.  I'm impressed!

Matt

wow, it sounds like that puppy gets even hotter than mine  :-[   

Im definitely very interested in how hot you can get an EVEN bake. I think you are going to be able to do better than I can because your elements are exposed, where my top elements are behind a metal sheet.   Its really tricky in these ovens, and the best way for me to get the fastest pizza is still my old tried and true cleaning cycle trick of having the oven on full blast and sliding in a thin room temp stone in a few minutes before the pizza goes in.    I can do a 2 minute pizza with this method, but if I try to put the pizza on the stone that belongs to the oven the highest temp I can get an even top/bottom bake is about 675-700 floor, which is more in the coal oven range of 3-4 minutes.

Once you have spent some time experimenting please let  me know what your highest oven temp is that will allow an even top/bottom bake.   I hope im not asking too much, but if you could pm me it would be great because I often cant check the forum for a few weeks at a time and loose track of threads.    Thanks Matt!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:15:42 PM by scott r »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 07:33:16 PM »
By request

Offline Noel

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2010, 01:25:36 AM »
Matt, how about a few words about this device.  Can you give us some more detail about what you've discovered w/ regard to the historically problematic issue of the temp above the pie being significantly hotter than the baking stone surface?  Have you taken some temp readings in various places?  How much pre-heat time to get to xx temp?  How hot does the outside get?  Much issue w/ temperature control/regulation?

Right now I cook in my hacked oven during the winter months, but it's difficult still to get the temp above the baking stone just right. 

Be great to hear some more detail on this product.

Thanks Matt,

Noel
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:30:03 AM by Noel »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2010, 06:14:05 AM »
Matt, how about a few words about this device.  Can you give us some more detail about what you've discovered w/ regard to the historically problematic issue of the temp above the pie being significantly hotter than the baking stone surface?  Have you taken some temp readings in various places?  How much pre-heat time to get to xx temp?  How hot does the outside get?  Much issue w/ temperature control/regulation?

Right now I cook in my hacked oven during the winter months, but it's difficult still to get the temp above the baking stone just right. 

Be great to hear some more detail on this product.

Thanks Matt,

Noel

Top heat is not an issue with this particular oven because you have the ability to control the top heat separately.  The only modification that I have made was to double up on the stone to decrease the distance to the the top element which now sits at 3.5" from the bottom stone.  The trick is to blast the top element about 30 seconds prior to loading the pizza, any longer it will heat the bottom stone too much.  Preheat time is fairly quick, you can accelerate it by using the upper element.  The deck was a little too hot on the pizza show above, I'm still experimenting & have yet to settle on a particular method.  The oven vents from the top front so it can get quite hot.

Matt

Offline SmokinGuitarPlayer

• Owner of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    • Fred's Music & BBQ Supply
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2010, 01:32:53 AM »
does anybody know if these ovens are available for purchase anywhere in the US? (Dec 2010?)
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:36 AM »
does anybody know if these ovens are available for purchase anywhere in the US? (Dec 2010?)

Yea go on ebay they have a bunch of them.

Offline SmokinGuitarPlayer

• Owner of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    • Fred's Music & BBQ Supply
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 12:04:12 PM »
Hey BrickStoneOven..thanks for the post.... unfortunately I cannot find even one of them on Ebay ...maybe I'm just dense ... would you be so kind as to gimme a link ?  I really think that oven will work for me. Thanks in advance
FB/STP
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »
I posted a couple links before on here so I went back and checked them and they were both sold. I checked to see if he was selling anymore and he isn't. I also checked on ebay and none were on. Maybe you can contact the ebay member that was selling them and ask him if he will be selling more in the future. Here is his ebay page http://myworld.ebay.com/cn_sage/.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
I posted a couple links before on here so I went back and checked them and they were both sold. I checked to see if he was selling anymore and he isn't. I also checked on ebay and none were on. Maybe you can contact the ebay member that was selling them and ask him if he will be selling more in the future. Here is his ebay page http://myworld.ebay.com/cn_sage/.

Fred,
Sorry a little late on this one; his name is Ming & you can email him at the link that David posted.

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »
Matt,

Here's a different link which shows a bit more of their products:

http://cn-sage.en.alibaba.com/
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Matthew

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »
Matt,

Here's a different link which shows a bit more of their products:

http://cn-sage.en.alibaba.com/

Thanks Mike,
This is their main site.
http://en.cn-sage.com

Matt

Offline Rudyo

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2010, 01:49:57 AM »
I emailed him a few days ago and he replied that they were currently out of the US and wouldn't have any more units available until after the first of the new year.

Dan

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
Sorry I am replying here from the other thread.

Did you find that putting the 2 stones was necessary to get enough top heat by decreasing the deck height?

Have you tried making any pizzas 1 after another and if so how does that work for you?

thanks. 

BTW I asked ca_sage on eBay and he said the oven has CE European certification which is a nice touch.
Patrick

pizzapan