Author Topic: My dough rises to fast in my fridge  (Read 833 times)

Offline tonyp0387

My dough rises to fast in my fridge
« on: October 22, 2010, 12:32:05 PM »
I always use standard baking percentage as per the Lehman dough calculator but my dough rises to fast im thinking my Fridge isn't cold enough
should i be using straight cold water. What temp water does everybody use room temp or cold. my yeast is on the low end 0.25%. Does anybody else have this problem?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: My dough rises to fast in my fridge
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
cold water.  and whats your sugar percentage?  do you take your dough after mixing, bulk or ball it, and leave it rise before fridging it?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline tonyp0387

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
no sugar I ball it and throw it in the fridge covered plastic wrap. Are u using cold water or room temp?I just like to have it ready about 12 to 16 hours later. it just seems to flatten out fast. What temp is your fridge?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:48:56 PM »
sounds like IDY theres no way that no sugar and that low of ADY can rise that fast if you are using cold to room temp water in a fridge

Offline mr782xx

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »
Complex,

You may have solved one of my issues with dough over proofing/rising.

I'm using 3% sugar and 3% salt....would that be the issue (sugar %) with over proofing or would it be the temp of the refridgerator causing the problem from being opened too many times/long during the fermentation process?  Or could it be too much IDY (.25%).  

It's not crazy over proofed, but does at times become crazy over proofed sometimes when bringing it up to room temp.  More so when it's 75 or more degrees in the apartment.

Just read your last response to Tonyp, so I'm gonna try cold water vs. room temp, lower sugar to 1.5%.....and limit the dough being disturbed and see what happens.

Thanks,

Larry

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »
Complex,

You may have solved one of my issues with dough over proofing/rising.

I'm using 3% sugar and 3% salt....would that be the issue (sugar %) with over proofing or would it be the temp of the refridgerator causing the problem from being opened too many times/long during the fermentation process?  Or could it be too much IDY (.25%).  

It's not crazy over proofed, but does at times become crazy over proofed sometimes when bringing it up to room temp.  More so when it's 75 or more degrees in the apartment.

Just read your last response to Tonyp, so I'm gonna try cold water vs. room temp, lower sugar to 1.5%.....and limit the dough being disturbed and see what happens.

Thanks,

Larry

idy is ok.  sugar, way too much.  that level of sugar looks like an emergency dough that you have trouble with browning.  and salt is rather high unless you like the taste.

drop sugar to 1%, and use cold water.   also, do you place your container for dough in the fridge full of warm room temp air?  leave it in the fridge, lid off, before placing it in.  take it out, throw dough in it, place back in for a few minutes (like say, 15) then come back and put the lid on.  i had issues with .25% idy and 1% sugar dough going overproofed at 48hours until i started doing the above.  now i can get it out to 5-6 before i see over proofing signs

Offline mr782xx

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »
The percentages of sugar and salt have just been attempts to make the dough tastier and to keep the dough from over proofing.   THINK I read in here that higher percentages of salt can limit the IDY proofing process...it's been so many hours of reading and experiments ago that I forget.

Yes, I throw the finished ball into a room temp plastic container that's lightly coated with oil, pop the lid on and place it in the bottom left hand corner of the fridge.  I hoped that by putting it that location of the fridge, it would be disturbed less when opening and closing the door.

Thanks for the insight, and I will try your recommendaitons tonight.