Author Topic: Pizza Screen or No Pizza Screen - That is the Question!  (Read 1530 times)

Offline mr782xx

Pizza Screen or No Pizza Screen - That is the Question!
« on: October 20, 2010, 04:27:36 PM »
Personally, I chose to use a pizza screen and a stone. 

I'm using a conventional, 1980-something, home oven, and a pizza stone I got from the local Macy's.  Temp is 550 degrees.

Cook the pie on the screen, on the top rack for approx 4 min, then slide it off the screen and on to the stone for 1-1.5 minutes.  I use a peel and a pair of pliers so I don't burn myself.

Gonna try cooking it on the screen, but on top of the stone, then remove the screen and continue cooking on the stone until lightly crispy.  Saw my favorite local pizza joint (NJ family owned) doing that way, so thought I'd give that method a try.

What's your technique for cooking pies in a conventional oven?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza Screen or No Pizza Screen - That is the Question!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »
mr782xx,

See Reply 45 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg20965.html#msg20965. A more recent approach is the one described at Reply 830 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg96046.html#msg96046. The methods described are basically for a NY style, which is what I assume you have in mind by posting in the NY board.

Peter

Offline mr782xx

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
Awesome info!

Yes, NY style is what I'm referring to.

Offline ManChicken

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:38:21 AM »
That's what I do.. build on the screen, throw the whole thing in on top of the stone and let it cook for just a couple of minutes (usually the duration it takes me to put away all my toppings and clean up the mess on the counter :) then I slide the screen out from underneath with a spatula and a pair of hot dog tongs - I'm high-tech :D

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 04:31:26 AM »
i cook on the lowest rack, with a screen, at 550 until crust is desired color.  and i get NY style crust with a ny style dough with no problems.  i let the oven hit preheat, and as soon as it comes off i shove pies in.  after about 30mins, the top half of the oven gets too warm for some odd reason and the tops of the pies get overdone before the bottom.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline mr782xx

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:20:11 AM »
Complex/Man,

Thanks guys. 

Complex - I think that's what's happening to some of my pies...top of the oven gets too hot and the cheese starts to brown before the dough when cooking cheese only pies, or pies with few toppings.  So, thought I'd look for different method(s) of cooking.

Man - going to give your method a try first.  My local NY style pizza joint does it that way.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:42:40 AM by mr782xx »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 01:20:34 PM »
are you using a convection feature?  if i ever use my convection feature, it burns the hell out of my cheese.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline mr782xx

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 03:08:20 PM »
No.  Just your normal old-school electric GE with heating elements on the top (broiler) and bottom.

I thought maybe you were using a top broiler for color.  Think I read that technique in this room in the past.

Need to start taking more and better pics, so that I can post a pic of the issue(s) I'm experiencing.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »
i cook on the lowest rack, with a screen, at 550 until crust is desired color.  and i get NY style crust with a ny style dough with no problems.  i let the oven hit preheat, and as soon as it comes off i shove pies in.  after about 30mins, the top half of the oven gets too warm for some odd reason and the tops of the pies get overdone before the bottom.

I have seen this happen with my pies too...Im going to try your method with the preheat and go from there.Tired of watching the cheese destroy itself before the bottom is done.

I also did a 2 step bake method that worked well,I cooked the crust first for a minute or two on a pan w/holes in it,placed ontop of the stone.Then I take it back out and finish the sauce,cheese,toppings,etc,then I slide the pizza off the pan onto the stone.Since it precooks a little,it slides off with ease.

I suspect it may effect spring a little bit since it cools back off a little when removed,so I try and work fast as I can.

I dont have a screen,but the pan with the holes in it helps the crust to brown on the bottom far easier than a solid pan with no holes.Just make sure the dough doesnt stick to the holes.I use a spatula to make sure its not stuck before adding the top part.

-Bill

pizzapan