Author Topic: Day Ten  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Day Ten
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:05:45 AM »
Here's the final set of pics from this batch of dough.  Ten days in the cooler and the flavor was, I think, the best I've ever achieved, like a mild, rich sourdough.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Day Ten
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 07:29:05 AM »
GB, very impressive crumb shot.  My next goal.  A cold fermented pie with a similar crumb.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:40:26 AM »
Here's the final set of pics from this batch of dough.  Ten days in the cooler and the flavor was, I think, the best I've ever achieved, like a mild, rich sourdough.

Glutenboy,

That is a fine looking pizza.   ;D  I can imagine at a 10 day cold ferment how flavorful your crust was.  Nice job.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:35:01 PM »
Thanks, Guys.  It tasted as good as it looked.  Worth the wait.  :chef:

Offline s00da

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:43:19 PM »
Great looking pie GB .... I'm still in my addiction phase to the 24 hour room temp fermented dough but this 10 days cold ferment. sounds tempting  :D

Can I know dough formula for this recipe? and can you indicate how much expansion you got over the 10 days?

Saad

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 02:29:57 PM »
Can I know dough formula for this recipe? and can you indicate how much expansion you got over the 10 days?

My formula is the first one under the Non-Lehmann formulas posted by Peter at the top of the NY-Style section.  It is ID'd as Glutenboy's, I think.  Read the first couple of pages in the first thread because I got the yeast percentage by weight wrong in my initial posting of the formula, and it is corrected, I believe, at the top of the second page.  I always do a room-temperature bulk rise, usually allowing the dough to double before balling, oiling, and refrigerating in Glad food containers.  There's a bit of rise in the cooler, but once the dough cools down, this is minimal and necessitates no action.  I burp the lids every couple of days if the containers swell (which they usually do).  Let me know how you like it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:45:20 PM by Glutenboy »

Offline s00da

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 06:15:16 PM »
thanks for the info. but 2 more questions. before u cut the bulk dough to portions....do u do any punch&folds? also, when you take the dough balls out of the cold, do you wait a certain time or look for a specific amount of expansion?

Sorry for being detailed  ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 06:46:50 PM »
Saad,

I came to the conclusion that the longevity of Glutenboy's dough is attributable to several factors: small amount of yeast (under 0.20% IDY), small dough ball size (around 300 grams, which leads to fast cooling of the dough balls), and an above-average salt level (around 2.5%, which can slow down the rate of fermentation). I think the longevity of Glutenboy's dough could be extended by a few more days by using cold/cool water and shortening the initial proof before refrigerating but the downside of doing that is that the dough isn't really all that usable before, say, two or three days. After only a few days, there would not be much rise and any pizza made from the dough would most likely have a sour, or "off" flavor. I mention the small dough ball weight that Glutenboy uses because I know that you make some pretty big pizzas (up to 20" if I recall correctly). It  might be harder to make large dough balls that will last for ten days if you simply extrapolate Glutenboy's dough formulation to get the larger size. I think you would have to use cold water and a short initial proof, or no proof at all, before refrigerating.

Peter

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »
Glutenboy, those... are... beautiful.

:-[
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 06:02:58 PM »
Sfermentation). I think the longevity of Glutenboy's dough could be extended by a few more days by using cold/cool water and shortening the initial proof before refrigerating but the downside of doing that is that the dough isn't really all that usable before, say, two or three days.

GB, and Peter, this is a good idea for an experiment. Let's do a batch! I'm even doing a few 12" instead of 15''s for this. Cold cold water, say only 45 mins instead of 2 hr rest, and see how long she goes! I'll make mine tomorrow and have reports starting in about 10-12 days, then make them every 2 days thereafter. More then...
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 04:35:03 PM »
Before u cut the bulk dough to portions....do u do any punch&folds? also, when you take the dough balls out of the cold, do you wait a certain time or look for a specific amount of expansion?
I don't do too much deliberately after the bulk rise.  I suppose the dough gets punched down and rekneaded to some extent in the act of removing it from the bowl, scaling and shaping into dough balls.  It's certainly degassed by the time I'm done.  Before shaping I like about an hour (or even more) of counter rise because I like the dough soft and extensible for shaping.  I don't really measure too specifically at that point, but there's some good expansion as it warms up.

NY Pizzastriver!  Good to hear from you.  Let me know the result of your cryo-suspension dough experiments.  We could be on the verge of the first hundred-year pie!  ;D

Offline mr782xx

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »
GB has been working with me on trying to get my dough to NOT over proof when being brought up to room temp (approx 70-73 degrees).  I wasn't sure if it was my refigerator or my numbers causing the over proofing.  He thought it could be the 3% sugar and use of room temp water causing my issue.

With that all said, I'm doing an a 2-day old dough, 18", version of his tonight (with a slight twist).  I want to see what it tastes like and how it performs (bringing it up to room temp too) at the 2 day mark.  I'll let the next one sit for 2/3 (day 4 or 5) more days and see how the dough performs.

Numbers I'm using are:  60% hydration, cold water, .188% IDY, 1.5% Salt and 1% sugar, GM All Trumps HG flour....no rest after mixing....a very short knead after mixing, to get a good shape, and directly into a lightly oiled, pre-chilled plasic container.

Took pictures of the dough going into the plastic container after being made, then at the 24 hr mark, and will take pics of the dough after being brought up to room temp....and then make the pie.  

Will post pics of all when done.

pizzapan