Author Topic: My lame attempt at a NY style  (Read 2195 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: My lame attempt at a NY style
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »
I totally understand what you are saying about the crust not browning enough. I'm having the same problem right now because the stone is on the last shelf and the only thing that works is putting a screen right under the broiler to brown the crust slightly. Where is your stone located in the oven.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »
I totally understand what you are saying about the crust not browning enough. I'm having the same problem right now because the stone is on the last shelf and the only thing that works is putting a screen right under the broiler to brown the crust slightly. Where is your stone located in the oven.

My stone is on the bottom shelf the entire time.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 11:20:17 AM »
John,

I don't know if this will help your or not, but if you are satisfied how the crusts taste and it is moist enough I did try dairy whey in my preferment Lehmann dough and got good results in more coloration.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 03:49:04 PM »
John,

I don't know if this will help your or not, but if you are satisfied how the crusts taste and it is moist enough I did try dairy whey in my preferment Lehmann dough and got good results in more coloration.

Norma

Thanks for the tip Norma. I will try it out this weekend.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
John,

If you decide to try dairy whey out for better coloration, I used 4% of the total flour weight.  I also made a dough ball this week with 10% dairy whey, but didn't get to try that dough ball out.  I froze it and am going to try it out next week.  The reason I am trying 10% was because that was at the advise of Tom Lehmann.  Just watch your bottom crust if you even try 4% of dairy whey, because the whole pie did brown faster for me.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan