Author Topic: Soggy in the middle pizza crust.  (Read 4845 times)

Offline CrazyDman

• I love Pizza, And I am a Pizza SNOB :)
    • Pile -O- Pork
Soggy in the middle pizza crust.
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:45:21 PM »
I've been making pizza's for a while and my pizza crust turns out soggy in the middle.

What can I do to fix this?

Please Help?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Soggy in the middle pizza crust.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »
CrazyDman,

It will help if you provide the dough recipe you are using, the amount of dough you use to make your pizzas, the size of the pizzas, and the oven arrangement you are using (e.g., type of oven, whether you are using a pizza stone/screen/pan, rack position, bake temperature and bake time). Please also describe the sauce you are using, the amount of sauce, and the types and amounts of cheese and toppings.

Peter

Offline CrazyDman

• Pile -O- Pork
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:10:25 PM »
Peta-zza,

I'm using the standard Pizza dough recipe pretty much found on you're owning page.

And then I cut the dough in half freeze one.

About a basic 12 inch pizza for sure.

About the ovens I am using the basic oven set at the temps they tell unless I am at the next bbq comp then I smoke my pizza for 2 hours on a char coal smoker.

I use a pizza screen when I make my pizza all all times.

I use oily cheeses, a basic thick pizza sauce I make in the kitchen, Some times bbq sauce.

I use fresh tomatoes, onions, pine apples, and then some times I make white pizza's or bbq pizza's.

I'm finding out I have better results with bread dough recipe for the pizza.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:21:39 PM »
CrazyDman,

Can you tell me exactly which "standard" pizza recipe you used? I would like to determine the amount of dough you use to make your pizzas.

Also, can you tell me whether your oven is a gas or electric oven, whether it has a convection feature, which oven rack position you use, and what temperature and bake time you have actually been using?

Offhand, unless the cause of the sogginess is explained by your answers to the questions I posed, I would guess that the sogginess is because of the use of the onions, pineapple and fresh tomatoes. Wet toppings contribute to what is often referred to as a "swamp" pizza. To minimize that problem, you need a lot of top heat to help drive off moisture from the wet toppings. If you have a convection feature in your oven, that might help drive off some of the moisture of the wet toppings.

You can also get sogginess in the middle of a pizza if the center of the skin is too thin. See, for example, the PMQ Think Tank thread at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=65684#p65684.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:33:43 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline CrazyDman

• Pile -O- Pork
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:34:26 PM »
CrazyDman,

Can you tell me exactly which "standard" pizza recipe you used? I would like to determine the amount of dough you use to make your pizzas.

Also, can you tell me whether your oven is a gas or electric oven, whether it has a convection feature, which oven rack position you use, and what temperature and bake time you have actually been using?

Offhand, unless the cause of the sogginess is explained by your answers to the questions I posed, I would guess that the sogginess is because of the use of the onions, pineapple and fresh tomatoes. Wet toppings contribute to what is often referred to as a "swamp" pizza. To minimize that problem, you need a lot of top heat to help drive off moisture from the wet toppings. If you have a convection feature in your oven, that might help drive off some of the moisture of the wet toppings.

Peter
Thank you Peter, I do have that feature. and I normally put it in the middle rack.

This is my recipe but with bread flour, but I have purchased white wing flour

1 pound (or about 3 1/2 cups) high gluten flour
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:50:27 PM »
CrazyDman,

The recipe you posted is DKM's recipe for a cracker style pizza, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php. That recipe makes about 23 ounces of dough, or 11.5 ounces for the two dough balls in your case. For a 12" pizza using that amount of dough, I calculated a thickness factor of 0.102, which is somewhat on the high side for DKM's pizza. Maybe using a pizza screen with the thicker crust helped contribute to a swamp pizza, especially if the pizza did not get to a high enough temperature to help drive off the moisture in the dough and the wet toppings. However, since you still haven't told me what temperature and bake time you used, I can't give you a better answer.

Peter

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 09:59:15 PM »
Flour (100%):    445.17 g  |  15.7 oz | 0.98 lbs
Water (39.5%):    175.84 g  |  6.2 oz | 0.39 lbs
IDY (1%):    4.45 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.48 tsp | 0.49 tbsp
Salt (1.08%):    4.81 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
Oil (3.03%):    13.49 g | 0.48 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3 tsp | 1 tbsp
Sugar (1.4%):    6.23 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.56 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
Total (146.01%):   650 g | 22.93 oz | 1.43 lbs | TF = N/A

here's roughly what you said you used.

if you increased your water to around 1 1/3c i think you would be ok. might have to tweak your flour but you aren't that far off of a NY style.  drop the yeast to 3/4t and you'll do better unless you are trying to have this dough usable within 24hours at room temp ferment
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:01:11 PM by c0mpl3x »
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

pizzapan