Author Topic: BGE or 2-Stone Inferno  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Tony Pizzeria

BGE or 2-Stone Inferno
« on: October 27, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
Considering one of these. ??? Need help!! :-\ Appreciate feedback. I am hooked on 00 Caputo.
Thanks All
Ciao
Tony
CIAO BABY

buceriasdon

Re: BGE or 2-Stone Inferno
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 04:19:58 PM »

BGE= multiple uses .........2 Stone=bake pizza

Considering one of these. ??? Need help!! :-\ Appreciate feedback. I am hooked on 00 Caputo.
Thanks All
Ciao
Tony

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 04:48:39 PM »
2nd what Don says.

Also BGE uses lump charcoal and will bake a pizza in the 5-6 min range.  That will get you more of a NY and american style pie and you may squeeze out a NY elite if you do high temp bakes and change out the felt gaskets. 

2 stone uses propane and will get you a 2-3m bake (from what I've read).  That may get you Neapolitan and definitely NY elite style.

Just depends on what you want to do pizzawise and if you plan on doing any BBQ'ing.   

If you just plan on doing pizza and If you have a propane burner sitting around you can buy a smokey joe weber grill ($30) or 18" weber kettle grill ($69) and turn it into a pretty good pizza oven for a lot less than the cost of a 2 stone.  You can also buy the burners for ~$60 or so.  So for ~$150 or less and some modding you can make duplicate the effects of a 2 stone and save some $. 

Do a search for LBE and/or MBE and have a read.   Lots of good info in there.   Do you have the time and inclination to tinker around a bit?  Do you care about saving $. 

Chau 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:50:59 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Tony Pizzeria

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:48:14 PM »
Thanks Chau and Don
I do have the time but not very handy, but sure like to save bucks, I'll check it out.
Ciao Tony
CIAO BABY

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 01:04:42 AM »
....I do have the time but not very handy...

The 2stone would be a very good investment.  It is a proven, rock solid pizza cooking machine.  Propane is hot and fast, and it is very user friendly. 

The Big Green Egg is also a rock solid cooker.  Some people have adapted its excellent cooking characteristics to cook pizza.  It burns lump charcoal as Chau said above.  It requires maintenance, that the 2stone would not, just to cook a pizza.

You are really asking about apples and oranges.  If you want a dead set pizza machine, go with the 2stone.  If you are willing to accept a learning curve, and experiment, and be able to bbq, the go with the green egg.

For whatever its worth, I felt that the 2stone was probably the best 'nut cuttin', no holds barred, Katy bar the door, drop dead legs, pizza oven ever; and decided I wanted one very badly.

Just my two cents. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Tony Pizzeria

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »
Thanks Jet
Do u have the Inferno?
CIAO BABY

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:29:55 PM »
I have one of the original 2stone ovens and have never used a BGE. I see good pizza coming from both and as other have said it depends somewhat on what you want to accomplish. The 2stone can get to 950-975 (if that's important to you), and with some practice I have been able to get really good pizza out of it. FWIW I have also baked lasagne (sort of   8) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7160.0.html) , breads, chicken etc in the 2stone during pre heat and cool down. Not the same as charcoal granted, but I have found more uses for that heat that would have otherwise been lost.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »
BGE= multiple uses .........2 Stone=bake pizza

I need to get a picture of right outside my kitchen door. There is a large BGE with the stainless top table and next to that is the stainless gas fired two stone oven. IMO it's the ultimate setup for a home.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 12:40:25 PM »
Btw, the 2stone goes well over 900 degrees if you want. When i first got mine i just left it cranking on high to see hw hot it would get. I have a 1000 degree thermo gun and it would go unto around 1250 then just the number one would show up. Maybe i should start making knives in it?  ;D
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »
Thanks Jet
Do u have the Inferno?

No, but I used the principle to build my own, the 10stone.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11402.0.html

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Tony Pizzeria

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 05:03:47 PM »
Thanks to all for the input, I really appreciate the feedback.
Tony
Ciao
CIAO BABY

pizzapan