Author Topic: Lump charcoal fired backyard deck oven  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Lump charcoal fired backyard deck oven
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:19:46 PM »
I bought this very used gas oven/range for $10.  I gutted it, removing the bottom and top burners and welded the bottom broiler door solid. I made a charcoal maze basket to fit in the very bottom, from the rear. (where the broiler compartment is)  I've used it for a food warmer and to smoke bacon with. I've done some research and some deck ovens have a corderite "roof" above the deck floor.  What is the floor itself made out of? Steel? Anodized or coated with something?  Any suggestions on lining the oven?  Maybe the thin firebrick?  Maybe put my Primo round stone near the top, with firebrick overhead? Or a steel deck with firebrick overhead? Any ideas are welcome.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Lump charcoal fired backyard deck oven
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 06:17:02 PM »
You are a weird Dude, and I mean that in the best way possible.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
Many deck ovens use corderite hearths. I'd  look into some unglazed tile and some furnace cement and cover the walls with that. Juat a thought.
Don

I bought this very used gas oven/range for $10.  I gutted it, removing the bottom and top burners and welded the bottom broiler door solid. I made a charcoal maze basket to fit in the very bottom, from the rear. (where the broiler compartment is)  I've used it for a food warmer and to smoke bacon with. I've done some research and some deck ovens have a corderite "roof" above the deck floor.  What is the floor itself made out of? Steel? Anodized or coated with something?  Any suggestions on lining the oven?  Maybe the thin firebrick?  Maybe put my Primo round stone near the top, with firebrick overhead? Or a steel deck with firebrick overhead? Any ideas are welcome.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:29:55 AM »
I have mentally decided that it isn't going to work, but wth I'll try.  Heat will be from the bottom.  4 non-glazed saltillo tiles, placed against the back and side walls will hopefully direct the hot air where it needs to go.  I promise to remove the foil before I cook the pizza (hopefully) tomorrow.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »
I fired up the oven last night to see if it would get hot enough, and it did.  It was late and dark and I didn't want to worry about trying to get the pizza on the stone without daylight.  So I just cooked on the 10stone.

Offline ryanbinkley

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »
how did this setup work?  this is like a miniature version of my masonry heater cooker, that I have been struggling with.  any luck reflecting the heat back down to the top of the pizza?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:47 PM »
I got so much smoke in my eyes when I opened the door to check the temperature, I abandoned this setup.  Sorry, wish I could help more.